HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2007, 04:55 AM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
Discussion
Travel cases for RC Aircraft

I-ve been looking around now for a while for sturdy but lightweight travel cases for RC Aircraft. In particular for my helis which I feel need a bit more protection against "boot rash" than my foamies: Mikado Logo 14 (about 120 x 42 x 22 cm), Robbe Eolo Spirit (about 80 x 30 x 19 cm), and TRex 450S (about 67 x 24 x 17 cm). But nice cases for the RC-AP planes wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Been thinking about making them to size from light ply and fiberglass but just don't fancy the time spent on doing that. And doubt that I could make better airline-luggage-handling survivable cases than might be available out there. The cardboard box --a cut down of an old EasyGlider box-- I uses for the TRex 450S certainly won't cut anything else than my own car boot.

So far I haven't been very successful with Google or browsing different fora in locating any good suppliers. So I thought it might be a good time to start a thread on this topic where people can post pics of their cases and links to their suppliers.
Arthur P. is offline Find More Posts by Arthur P.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2007, 07:18 AM
WHOHH..You See That??
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Jan 2005
1,761 Posts
Hey Arthur,

I have a Logo 10 and while I don't have a case for it yet, I did see and talk a bit to a fellow pilot at one of my flying fields that had a logo 14. He was using a hard sided foam filled bow (archery) case. It was perfect for the logo!

You can pick them up at many sporting god stores relatively cheaply. There is even room for alot of other accessories in there as well.
qualcity is offline Find More Posts by qualcity
Old May 17, 2007, 07:28 PM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
Thanks for that tip. Not sure there is much archery going on here in the Netherlands, but I'll keep an eye out, having learned a while ago that fishing goods shops are also interesting for e.g. karp-poles for AP up to about 11 meters / 33 feet.

Actually Graupner are offering a fully built Logo 10 in alu case for a quite reasonable price over here. Sadly that was advertised just after I bought the Logo 14.
Old May 17, 2007, 07:58 PM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,845 Posts
Hardcase golf bag.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Site Sponsor
Old May 17, 2007, 08:59 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,247 Posts
Look up Doskocil
CenTexFlyer is online now Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old May 18, 2007, 02:23 AM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
The gun cases are too thin. But the archery cases look interesting for larger helis. Interestingly Google turned up the fact that Doskocil also make or made cases for optical equipment which were top-loading, but those aren't evident on their site anymore. But another idea. A case big enough for safely transporting a telescope should be interesting...
Old May 18, 2007, 07:06 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur P.
The gun cases are too thin.
You can easily brace the gun and bow cases, blocks of 2" foam work well. Also, my local Dick's has an aluminum gun case that would work great.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old May 18, 2007, 07:40 AM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,247 Posts
Go to Hafer Case - out of Richmond, Texas. They'll build you a custom case, any size, any hinge, any lock, out of the material of your choosing.
CenTexFlyer is online now Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old May 21, 2007, 02:30 PM
Got the Fever
Foster City, California USA
Joined Mar 2006
198 Posts
From the Army surplus store

I use this for carrying everything including the airplane all broken down. It straps to my carry on case so that I only have to wheel 1 suit case around. This case will hold everything I need for remote assignment including spare parts and supplies.

Notice that there is a decal stating "Delicate Equipment" for RC Aerial Photography and it has our calling card on it. This case has gone to Mexico and back and just the 1st week of May, went to Maine and Boston.

Paul
ppatron is offline Find More Posts by ppatron
Old May 21, 2007, 07:08 PM
San Diego/Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2004
1,311 Posts
Hi Arthur,

If you want top of the line, Pelican is the way to go: http://pelican.com/home.php
They have one that has wheels that you can roll along like luggage.

They are probably the top U.S. maker of these things and have an excellent reputation in the industry. They are not cheap plus might kind of pricey to ship to the Netherlands. Perhaps they have a European dealer?

The one my brother Paul (ppatron) is showing, we bought them from a surplus shop for $15 USD. Not sure if you have a surplus shop near you, but it's a good way to go.

Regards,

-Vince
vpatron is offline Find More Posts by vpatron
Old May 22, 2007, 12:03 AM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
Good idea. There are a couple of surplus stores over here. May not be the same brand, but the bigger ones do tend to stock odd sized cases. I-ll try and locate one here and see whether that's a good source.

As I-ve just ordered a UAVP open source quadrocopter which measures 50x50cm it may well be that I can simply go with a normal sized small suitcase or even with an attache case if the thing breaks down very simply into 4 or 5 small parts. Will hopefuly be in and up by mid June. Will post pics in the Quadrocopter thread once I have it up.
Old May 22, 2007, 01:53 PM
San Diego/Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2004
1,311 Posts
Arthur, yes, we're definitely interested in the Quadrocopter concept. Glad to have an open source for it!

It doesn't seem to be as stable as a regular heli for video work but for still photos, its simplicity is a great advantage, and it looks safer than a big heli in a crash (the rotors shut down almost immediately/not as much damage and flying debris).

As for the case, another thing to consider is whether you can lock it or not (with a padlock). The green cases we bought unfortunately there's no easy way to lock it. But I hand carry the camera and transmitters anyway on the plane (as a passenger on a commercial flight).

Good luck!

-Vince
vpatron is offline Find More Posts by vpatron
Old May 22, 2007, 03:14 PM
Walla Walla
Joined May 2002
2,639 Posts
Look up a post of Tabbys from his trip to the islands.. Had some pics of his heli's in padded cases..

EDIT: Looked it up on RR.. No pics but here is the link to what he used for his Maxi
http://www.metrocases.com/Merchant2/..._Code=SKB-Golf
lvspark is offline Find More Posts by lvspark
Last edited by lvspark; May 22, 2007 at 03:17 PM. Reason: added
Old May 22, 2007, 08:31 PM
Got the Fever
Foster City, California USA
Joined Mar 2006
198 Posts
70 lbs

The case is already 70 pounds...empty. I am not sure about this one. Or could it mean that it holds 70 pounds of equipment?

Paul
ppatron is offline Find More Posts by ppatron
Old May 23, 2007, 02:33 AM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
It does look like a VERY sturdy case. Actually that supplier has a good selection of special gear cases even if they are "a bit on the heavy side". It will always be compromise between how much protection you want for your expensive equipement and how much weight penalty you are willing to incur.

As I have the Logo 14 up for sale, I-m looking only at smaller cases, capable of holding:
* Robbe Eolo Spirit Li (about 78 cm long x 30cm high x 17 cm wide if I remember correctly; should probably fit in a hardshelled Samsonite type of ordinary suitcase, and/or
* UAVP quadrocopter (50x50cm by as yet unknown thickness if fully assembled, unknown size if partially disassembled).

Most likely, if it performs as expected, the UAVP will become the travel aircraft of choice so that case will have to hold the UAVP, Tx, LiPos, chargers, spare batteries, camera mount with adapted landing gear, spare camera batteries / charger, some spare props and nuts, some tools and eventually probably some form of downlink capability. So depending about how easilly the UAVP can be partially disassembled, that will probably end me up with a larger tool case with lock, medium sized Samsonite type of hardshelled case, or some thick more or less square case. Notebook, serial interface, and camera are all transported separately in my notebook backpack.