HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2010, 09:59 PM
peoria,az
Joined Sep 2009
489 Posts
Here is mine!looked better b4 it crashed(had a reciever go out in flight!)
mattox is offline Find More Posts by mattox
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:20 PM
Founder of the EDF20 club!
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,252 Posts
Hmm, speaking of receivers going out mid flight. With this new upgrade I'm doing to my used to be F-27B Stryker, I'm worried about brownouts with my Spektrum AR500 being right between my 40A esc and 3S 2250mah 40C battery with the 10 gauge battery wires with 6mm bullet connectors going right over the rx. Should I maybe mount the rx in a different location? This was the only way I could fit my electronics without cutting foam, but if it's worth the precaution, I'll mount the rx farther away.
all4smallrc is offline Find More Posts by all4smallrc
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:35 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,460 Posts
I've had my AR6200 less than an inch away from my ESC and the satelite receiver was mounted in the front. Never had a problem.

Generally Spektrum have few problems with being close to the ESC. (maybe not the AR6100). But AR6200's and AR500's have been very solid.

The AR500 has the long whisker. Just direct that away from the ESC and don't mask it by running under the battery. Probably make use of the antena groove on the bottom of the wing.

Since Spektrum added the quick connect - you should never lose your plane in flight. In a brown out, the receiver will quick connect in less than a second. On landing you'll see the receiver blinking indicating a brown out occurred. (you can test this by turning on the TX then plug in the battery, wait for the solid light. Then unplug the battery and plug it back in, the receiver will connect right away but be blinking...)

Technically with only 2 servos, you should never hit a brown out condition anyway... (well as long as you don't have a bad servo or a crap BEC )

--

As always, you should do a range check before your first flight. Use the range check feature in the TX which reduces the power of the TX and walk 25-30 paces away. Make sure you still have control. Have someone hold your plane and throttle up and make sure it does not lose control... If it passes in the range test, it should be good in the air.
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Last edited by cjbucher; Mar 12, 2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:39 PM
Spektrum Dev Team
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Apr 2002
1,006 Posts
I've never had sooo much fun with such an over-weight, extra draggy stryker

FPV Stryker Compilation- with air to air footage! (9 min 45 sec)

My Stryker is truly ghetto fabulous!
aaronredbaron is online now Find More Posts by aaronredbaron
Old Mar 13, 2010, 04:20 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,265 Posts
Can any uk guys point me in the direction of some thin props that wont cost me an arm and a leg ?
Ordered 2 sets from 2 different suppliers one set are completely unbalanced and fat (vs thin electric) the other set are just FAT (20mmx11mm hub) despite the picture and no info on their site other than the 7x5 Both sets are now being posted back to the retailer. Cant find any UK suppliers on ebay for the size i want.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Mar 13, 2010, 08:49 AM
helter skelter
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmmicroheli View Post
What kind of paint can you use on this foam for the stryker? Thanks
I use a light coat of minwax polycrylic (water based polyuerathane in a spray can) first, to help the paint stick. It may help protect the foam from the paint too. I have used krylon indoor/outdoor spray paint, krylon fluorescent, and rustoleum fluorescent spray paint with no problems.
NOTAR 600 is offline Find More Posts by NOTAR 600
Last edited by NOTAR 600; Mar 14, 2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:52 AM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
I've used Krylon Fusion paints with great success. Just make sure not to hold the can too close(at least 6-8in away), as the solvent can still affect the foam.
Shpook is offline Find More Posts by Shpook
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:23 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
Can any uk guys point me in the direction of some thin props that wont cost me an arm and a leg ?
Ordered 2 sets from 2 different suppliers one set are completely unbalanced and fat (vs thin electric) the other set are just FAT (20mmx11mm hub) despite the picture and no info on their site other than the 7x5 Both sets are now being posted back to the retailer. Cant find any UK suppliers on ebay for the size i want.
This guy has/had some http://www.apollomodels.com/#

I used a 7x5 with the Mystery 1700kv outrunner on the 1st few flights of my Stryker. Soz but can't remember the name of the props, but they're purple in colour. Oh...could be Fightline. Might be fatter than you're after tho.

P.s. He's closed on mondays.
feefo is online now Find More Posts by feefo
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:29 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,141 Posts
Have you considered a Graupner 6x6 http://www.electricwingman.com/graup...361.15.15.aspx or
6.5x6.5 http://www.electricwingman.com/graup...361.16.16.aspx
Old Mar 13, 2010, 05:42 PM
USA, VT, Manchester Center
Joined Feb 2007
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAR 600 View Post
I use a light coat of minwax polycrylic (water based polyuerathane in a spray can) to help the paint stick. It may help protect the foam from the paint too. I have used krylon indoor/outdoor spray paint, krylon fluorescent, and rustoleum fluorescent spray paint with no problems.
Thanks For the info.
cmmicroheli is online now Find More Posts by cmmicroheli
Old Mar 13, 2010, 05:45 PM
Joined Jan 2006
3,265 Posts
Cheers feefo , the ones i ordered are all 11x20mm on the hub diameter the others i normally use are 7-8x12mm diameter ill give those a shot.

cant get hold of anyone at giantcod to ask
Old Mar 14, 2010, 04:30 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,141 Posts
TGY are pretty thin too, or is it TGS. GC are the same as Hobbyking? If so yeah, they're prob what you're after too. Check them out tho as they're reported as some sizes being inaccurate, i.e. 6x5 is 6x3!? On the 2836 2300kv motor the 6x5 pulled 10a less than a APC 6x5.5, so somethings not quite right. But not all sizes are out. 5x5 is right for example. The Graupner 6x6 should work IMO. When I did tests I'm sure (could be wrong tho )that it pulled 4-5a less than the 7x5 flightline prop. Granted tho the 7x5 had more pull if that's what you're after.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:03 AM
Joined Jan 2006
3,265 Posts
The motor its for is the emax 2812 its for my slow stryker. At the min im using a 7x5 apc i think ( ordered them soo long ago ive forgotten its 7x5 anyway ) which are just right for what i need. 2 X 7x5E TGS Sport Propeller are the fat ones that came, they were out of balance ontop of being fat so theyve been returned , ill ask them to replace with the TGY and go from there lol.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:57 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
You guys running the Turnigy 2836 2350kv, are you just running the motor wires under the motor?? I am going t o put it in my lightweight stryker and go ahead and get another customrc mount for it. So the can won't rub but I am wondering if the motor wires will fit under without an issue.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:28 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
You guys running the Turnigy 2836 2350kv, are you just running the motor wires under the motor?? I am going t o put it in my lightweight stryker and go ahead and get another customrc mount for it. So the can won't rub but I am wondering if the motor wires will fit under without an issue.
Ask gary if you can get the 28mm mount with the "Slot" cut in it for outrunners.

If not, I got mine mounted by removing the bullet connectors and passing the wires through one of the bottom holes. Mine is still in this state as I am flying an ARC 28-47-2 right now. The 2836-2350kv is my current back-up, just need to put new bullets on it and its ready to go.

Running the wires Under the mount looks possible, but will require removing some foam. Post pictures if you do it!
ender707 is offline Find More Posts by ender707