HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2014, 07:52 AM
Joined Feb 2014
29 Posts
Discussion
Advice on step up in size from MCPX BL!

I have been flying for a couple months now after being a RC racer for years so I got a good feel of basic flight and now learning basic 3d. I have had a Nano CPX since I started with CP 6ch heli and I can fly it better than anything I have tried or owned. I sold my MCPX v2 and got a MCPX BL which is awesome on the power side of things but I really want a little larger bird that is more stable outdoors in slight breeze. I can't decide what to get either the Blade 130x , Align 150 , or something else ! I see that the Align is only 255mm and the MCPX BL is 250mm so that's not much difference in size but the 130x is 325mm so it is probably the better choice. I do like the non linear servos on the Align but it has a tail mounted motor which I hear is not as good as a single motor bird with shaft or belt drive for outdoor flight. Is there any other really good sub micro outdoor birds on the market and out of them all which is most recommended? Any advice on a good free sim would be great also! THANKS AGAIN!
savannahmick is offline Find More Posts by savannahmick
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:58 PM
HELICOPTER SWAGG
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2013
394 Posts
I was in the same shoes looking at either trex 150 or 130x and decided to go with the 130. I've had it about a month now and am loving it for outdoors. The tail is kinda tricky and needs to be just right to work and I also suggest getting the tail and parts upgraded because it helps a lot with running the torque tube much smoother. Out of box there is a weird vibe and noise at spool up but once ur past the rpm it goes away and flies nicely. The tail upgrades eliminate this issue. If you look through the 130x thread you can find info on all the upgrades. I'm sure the trex 150 is fine and has piro comp and a better control unit. So ultimately it's up to you what you want more, bigger heli and better tail performance or better stabilization on a smaller heli.
yours truly is offline Find More Posts by yours truly
Old Apr 20, 2014, 01:37 PM
Joined Dec 2009
71 Posts
I would recommend a V120 or if a 250 sized heli is an option a X3V
IM back! is online now Find More Posts by IM back!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 02:00 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,012 Posts
I would recommend that you make the most out of your mCPX BL for the moment. Both the Trex 150 and 130X can be very frustrating in terms of maintenance. I would also consider going up a size such as the 300X and Trex 250 DFC plus as these are Spektrum compatible.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:19 PM
Joined Feb 2014
29 Posts
Awesome Advice Guys! Also question on a tail motor isuues?

Hey thanks for the advice and opinions! I am going to take it easy with the BL for a few weeks unless I run across a credit card magnet of a deal! Lol! I did have a bad day with the BL I get ready to go hit the marsh and fly the BL but the tail motor won't spin up just studders and gets hot! I think trying the motor is the issue I hope so anyway cause the other option is the 3in1 I have had 3 different micro Blade helis Nano, Mcpx, and BL no issues at all until this! What your opinions on the issue being the motor since it does try to spin and gets real hot fast? I ordered a new motor and contacted HH about servicing the dead motor since it has only 10-15 flights on it but didn't want to wait so went ahead and got a new one ordered. Sucks weather just got good TOO! My Nano is still flying great and going brushless next week with Blade PNP!
savannahmick is offline Find More Posts by savannahmick
Old Apr 22, 2014, 08:05 PM
San Mateo, CA
United States, CA, Foster City
Joined Dec 2012
899 Posts
Go all the way up to a 450 size heli. That is still affordable in terms of crash costs and you eliminate the intermediate steps of buying and selling a bunch of helis ( unless you like doing that type of dealing of course). Just do your training on a simulator to save the bucks and go flying and do the stuff you are VERY comfortable with in the sim. You will be miles ahead and many dollars ahead too. I went from the BL to the 130X then to the 450X and I recently invested in some Protos 500. Looking back I could have bypassed the 130X easily. The 450X is s complete different animal, flies MUCH better. Trust me :-)
HPCR is online now Find More Posts by HPCR
Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM
Joined Apr 2007
51 Posts
HPCR has a good point with going to a 450 instead of the intermediate step. However, personally, I find my 450 still intimidating, which is why I picked up a 130x, and still think it was the right decision. Spend more time flying and enjoying the hobby and less time concerned about crashing. It wasn't the cost of the 450 parts at all, just the down time and blow to ego and confidence that I didn't like. You may be different. Regardless, keep the BL and sim whenever you can.
EvilSmirk is online now Find More Posts by EvilSmirk
Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
5,543 Posts
130X has tail issues but there are parts available to help. Plus others have added advice etc. The 300 CF-X is nice size as not to big nor to small. The 450's are fine but now we are out of micros and into minis/ bigger 500's and up you go to large helis. They are easier to fly and now have much more power and mass to go full on 3 D if thats your intent. Depends on buget and what you want.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM
Never let it down
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Oct 2013
114 Posts
Take a look at the Master CP (walkera) : a 250 like size (430 mm length), which is one of the easiest CP of its category, according to its dedicated thread. I have just bought one, but didn't try yet. It is heavy, 400g in its BL version, so perfect outdoor
Pachapapa is online now Find More Posts by Pachapapa
Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM
United States, CA, Weimar
Joined Feb 2014
12 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I started out with a nano cpx then wanted something bigger and bought a 130x. It's a great heli IF you can get a decent copy. My friend's 130x flies flawlessly but I couldn't get all the bugs out of mine. Sold it and have a 450x on the way now... hope I made the right decision.
WestonsDigital is offline Find More Posts by WestonsDigital
Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM
HELICOPTER SWAGG
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2013
394 Posts
My 130 flies fine. It did need some sub trim and I lowered the rudder gain a few notches. I recently installed a lynx tbs boom and it makes a HUGE difference. I picked the 130 for its size. Perfect to fly in my backyard, a larger heli will fly better but I'd hardly ever fly it. Honestly, even though the tail system is tedious I think I'll always own a 130 just to have something to fly more often without having to take it to a field.
yours truly is offline Find More Posts by yours truly
Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,012 Posts
As a longer shot, you can also consider a V120D02S fitted with a gy280rx Vbar clone that is compatible with Spektrum DSM2 at the same time. Quite a number of V120D02S users are doing this conversion. It is also possible to use the gy280rx on a stock 130X but you will have to change to servo leads. Also the linear servos will not be as precise as rotary servos. Alternatively, you can use the gy280rx in one of these custom builds. However, this is more experienced modelers only.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2108206
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Yesterday at 10:00 PM.