HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2013, 02:33 AM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
Discussion
RV Jet videos, Comments,Tips, Flight data,FPV gear build, RV NIGHTJET updates often!

My FPV BLOG @ http://tinyurl.com/picard10th

The build went smooth the only deviation from design was to run the battery wires up and around rather then in the tunnel. I preferred to avoid the CF tube and stay further from the OSD location. But thats personal pref. and I was suggested to hot glue wires down in channel and still be able to pull them out if necessary.I changed and ran through channel provided.

Nice digital metal gear servos included! I assume they have been tested for RF noise.

Warning..Do not drive PnT servos past movement range of PnT or they will strip. Watch end range especially with a HT

Check prop eachflight.
Recommended prop with Powerpack is 12x6 for 3s Battery

It's very smart to get used to this plane by flying with the foam nose in a light config. before adding dome and FPV gear. Endovers and tip rolls won't do damage just remember to kill the throttle.

I'm flying full wing config.

I put 8oz of weight in the nose to balance at fin/wing point using 1 4400Mah 3s.
Hot glued nuts and bolts. first weight test was a roll of quarters.

Balances fine with 2-4400 and tracker but......
I realized that my 5000 Mah batts are 2.5oz heavier, total 5oz and won't balance at current placement. I think the only answer is to put OSD in front compartment and batts over CG. Ideally that should be the design, If batts are on cg then their wieght doesn't matter.

I was able to balance barely with the 5k's still in front compartment. tracker moved to back compartment. carved out a little foam, kind of a twist and lock, sides hold batts in tight. Still have a velcro strap.

Expo 50%

Landing tips- The heavier AUW the easier it is to land.
You must burn off speed to land, it doesn't want to stop flying. don't flair at touchdown unless your below stall.
Two approaches to landing...
1. Typical long glide, works well, headwind really make a difference.
2. Shuttle or Harrier type. A stabilizer ap makes this easy but still works without one. The stable stall tendencies will allow you to come in nose up in a high alpha attitude. it will start to dolphin as it begins to stall but shouldnt drop a tip. Practice high enough to recover so you learn where the stall is.
This will allow you to slow down and need much less "runway"
You can level out right before TD to pick up a litte speed and soften the landing if you prefer. The higher you let off on the elevator the more speed and glide you will have. Once you feel the plane you learn to ease out of the pitch up according to where you want to come to rest. it works best from a high alpha to ease off the elevator slowly.
Remenber the worst thing to do is come in fast and flair, that will cause a tumble or a spin or a spin-tumble-roll, you get the picture.

Glued extensions, Taping wing together for now.

East to launch tried both Power off throw and pull.Edit: staying with the pull!

Fun to fly! Loops tight but rolls very slow. I'll try more Aileron throw. Right now it's light 4lb. Climbs vertical easily.
Haven't tested stalls yet. Tracks well. As any wing and glider a small cg change can make a huge difference recommended CG seems right on!
As a fpv platform I'm a little concerned as I have to stay on the sticks more than my SW but that might just be me. Got to get more flight time before I judge that.

RVOSD and FPV gear added.

It would be nice if ESC had a arming switch but one can be made for about $2
see photos below.

Avti vibe techniques.- RVOSD mount placed on a bed of anti vibe foam (hotglued) Also serves a a shock absorber!
Vibes a little high on one axis so I velcroed L/C filter to top of RVOSD it really seems to dampen the vibes.

Power consumption results.Conservative throttle mgmt. Usually glide from altitude to home. 2 Zippy 4400Mah
26 minute flight 2600Mah consumed 9 mi traveled 11.5V
17 minutes 1900Mah 6 11.86
38 4300Mah 15 11.24V
36 3600Mah 16 11.24V
62 5734Mah 23 11.00V Grabbed a few thermals!

Need to make a prop stop to keep blades from over folding, Right now it doesn't fold in air because brake isn't enabled but if it over folded it could destroy the plane if you tried to throttle up without knowing.
ESC Instructions= http://www.rangevideo.com/downloads/...ing_manual.pdf
Prop stop- http://www.fpvmanuals.com/prop-stop/
Remember this is designed as a FPV platform if you want to fly as a high speed sport jet mods will be required. I wonder if theres any 6' foamies designed for 100+mph
First flights
RV Jet maiden (5 min 31 sec)

Harrier landing
Harrier Landing BAT.avi (0 min 43 sec)

Front cam and rear cam
RV Jet FPV cam and rear cam overlay (12 min 15 sec)
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Last edited by picard10th; Jun 20, 2013 at 11:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2013, 07:16 AM
Any excuse to fly
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Apr 2008
540 Posts
In for the maiden . Good luck !
LHTPlane is offline Find More Posts by LHTPlane
Old May 01, 2013, 08:27 AM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,834 Posts
delete
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Last edited by billyd60; May 02, 2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old May 01, 2013, 10:34 PM
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
They look fine to me. Anyone else have viewing issue?

Editing my Maiden video and comments, post in a few.
Old May 01, 2013, 11:13 PM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard10th View Post
They look fine to me. Anyone else have viewing issue?

Editing my Maiden video and comments, post in a few.
It was happening on my work computer but it's fine at home. Weird.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old May 02, 2013, 09:24 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,136 Posts
Picard10th

Cool Launches.....
Also, what happened on 3:35? Did it stall?

Can you take a picture of where the Actual COG is located?

Thanks....
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old May 02, 2013, 10:10 AM
Joined Jan 2007
136 Posts
Thanks for posting your pics and maiden video. Glad to see it launches so well with the "pull" method.
PeterGriffin is offline Find More Posts by PeterGriffin
Old May 02, 2013, 11:22 AM
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
Picard10th

Cool Launches.....
Also, what happened on 3:35? Did it stall?

Can you take a picture of where the Actual COG is located?

Thanks....
No Stall, I lost orientation, The black is hard to see

Balanced on fingernail where the bottom fin meets fuse.
Old May 02, 2013, 11:48 AM
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
RVjet ESC

Tip: the RVESC didn't work till I trimmed throttle down or raised throttle low end point.
I thought Motor or esc was bad at first cause other ESC/Motor worked.

Need ESC programing instructions to enable brake
See post #1

Be sure to calibrate throttle range or you might think it's defective.
Manual http://www.rangevideo.com/downloads/...ing_manual.pdf
Last edited by picard10th; May 13, 2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old May 02, 2013, 05:58 PM
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
Much more impressed today! Big diff with brake on. Soft is enough for fold.
Stall is awesome! Just drops nose slightly and starts zooming along. Getting much more confidence to fly FPV with it. Hard to keep it down on landing, I know someone will want flaps for brakes but It just takes some practice to bleed off speed.
Old May 02, 2013, 06:09 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,136 Posts
With ESC programming, just set two things?

1. Brake enabled ON- Soft
2. Throttle Limit, Throttle Range?

Also, with the Prop Stop, do we select the 6mm or 8mm?
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old May 02, 2013, 07:20 PM
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
Yes that's all I did.

If you have a pair of scissors and a drill you can make one. I used a piece of Kytex I had around but almost any plastic will do, I think Vova used a credit card. Probably took it back from one of his harem

center is 8mm
Old May 02, 2013, 07:47 PM
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
RV JET Take off and Landing

Hold leading edge of wing, fingers on top, I have extensions so I grab at the outward curve. With arm straight out to side, nose pointed vertical throttle up with other hand till jet has a slight positive push, around 3/4 throttle. Pull forward and let go! Point about a 35deg. angle don't try to whip or pull to hard or to steep. It will fly out and dip a little so be ready to pull up a bit. The hardest part is getting you hand back on th Tx properly to grab the elev. Practice the motion a few times to get use to getting your hand correct. and Don't over compensate!
You can put a little turn when you pull it but don't spin or run, not necessary.

For landings I think I like full elevator nose up so far
RV Jet take offs and landings (1 min 4 sec)
Last edited by picard10th; May 02, 2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old May 03, 2013, 11:11 AM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,597 Posts
Looking good!

I'd definitely add some colored bands to keep the orientation. Bright Yellow Monokote trim works wonders with a black background.

-bob
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Old May 03, 2013, 11:25 AM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard10th View Post
Hold leading edge of wing, fingers on top, I have extensions so I grab at the outward curve. With arm straight out to side, nose pointed vertical throttle up with other hand till jet has a slight positive push, around 3/4 throttle. Pull forward and let go! Point about a 35deg. angle don't try to whip or pull to hard or to steep. It will fly out and dip a little so be ready to pull up a bit. The hardest part is getting you hand back on th Tx properly to grab the elev. Practice the motion a few times to get use to getting your hand correct. and Don't over compensate!
You can put a little turn when you pull it but don't spin or run, not necessary.

For landings I think I like full elevator nose up so far
http://youtu.be/RAXS3IbeZ2w
I do the same but I use my left hand to launch and my mouth to set the throttle, always keeping my right hand on the right stick. Works every time.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522