HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:52 AM
Joined Oct 2008
218 Posts
Build Log
Stevens Aeromodel 1946 "Say's Nuh!" 140

I received my Stevens Aeromodel model builder program 1946 "Say's Nuh!" 140 in early February. After I received it I placed an order with Stevens for the covering materials, using the free shipping coupon. Along came the President's Day weekend, I had everything I needed, and I decided to see if I could build it and fly it in the weekend.

I didn't succeed, but really that wasn't the fault of the model. more on that in a bit.

First, the unboxing. The kit contained 7 sheets of balsa parts, two ply sheets, hardware, build instructions, and two sheets of plans. The balsa was a very nice grade. Wish my LHS carried stuff this high quality.
djhurlbut is offline Find More Posts by djhurlbut
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:07 AM
Joined Oct 2008
218 Posts
On Thursday after the unboxing, I sanded all the sheets to remove some of the burn marks and smooth them, per Stevens' directions.

Day 1 went pretty well. By end of day Friday, I had built all of the fuselage except the motor mount, cowl, and fuselage bottom, had the lower half of the fuselage wet and taped for shaping, and built the wings, stabilizer, and rudder. I skipped ahead to the wings/stabilizer after taping the fuselage bottom, to speed the overall time. Build went very smoothly the first day.

The problem with excellent, low weight balsa, is that I'm ham-handed. I cracked a few items during build, but repaired them quickly with thin CA.

I like the improvement to the receiver clip made for this model. The added battery tray next to the clip is very nice.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:23 AM
Joined Oct 2008
218 Posts
Saturday, I started by installing the fuselage bottom. This didn't fit initially, and I had to trim the bottom edges of the fuselage and do a bit of sanding to make it fit. Not difficult, but did require some care not to over-do it. I then installed the motor mount and shaped the cowl.

On Sunday, I glued the cowl pieces (top and bottom) in place, sanded the fuselage for covering, and painted the interior and exterior parts. I also gave everything a light coating of Blair Spray fixative, and sanded again. I then proceeded to cover the wings, the elevator, rudder, vertical stabilizer, and fuselage top and sides. Stevens says to leave the bottom uncovered until you have installed the push rods. I actually covered the front bottom, which doesn't impact rod installation.

I was well on my way to my goal, and then I ran into trouble. On my previous SA kit, I used an AR6410. This time, I decided to try the PKZ3351, purchased from my LHS. I went to put it in the clip, and it was too small for the clip! It wouldn't clip in. For the next day, I was stymied.

I spent Monday trying to figure out what I did wrong, first figuring it had to be my fault. First I checked over the installation from top to bottom, making sure I assembled the clip right. No issues. Then I considered contacting SA to complain, but it was a holiday, so thought I'd wait until Tuesday. Thinking some more, I started to investigate the brick itself. I knew the clips would work with a 3351, because I had clipped one into another project that I have in process. Then I decided to compare, and sure enough, while both are 3351s, the one I got from the LHS is old, a "green dot" brick ,and was smaller than the current standard! I took the brick out of my other project and installed it in the Cessna, and problem solved. Lost a whole day to that.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:33 AM
Joined Oct 2008
218 Posts
My goal blown, I spent Monday evening making a pattern for the trim, and cutting and putting it on. This is where I stand today. I won't be able to complete until this weekend, but I believe my original goal was achievable with all the proper gear ready to go.

Now I have to figure out how to use that green dot brick in my other project. I'm thinking servo tape...
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:32 PM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
954 Posts
Just a heads up: the Green Dot receiver is intended for the original Vapor and while light (and actually 6 channels) it can only reliably drive a 6mm motor of low amp draw.
I don't know what motor you intend to use on your SA model but I'm guessing either the 8.5 mm Sukhoi/Champ motor or the Mustang/Trojan/Spitfire ditto, and the Green Dot won't cut it.
If you thought you got the PKZ3352 (current Champ brick) and instead got the green dot PKZ3351 (Vapor and early Champ) you should ask for a refund/exchange.
Pouncer is online now Find More Posts by Pouncer
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:49 PM
Joined Oct 2008
218 Posts
Pouncer, thanks for that information. I don't know if the LHS will take it back opened (this particular shop is not very service-oriented). I can probably see if I can re-package it, as I was somewhat careful when opening, and see if I can get a 6410 from them.

The receiver I'm using on this is the current one. I don't have the packaging, but the version was correct when I looked at it and it is an exact match to the picture on the HH site - red antenna, black motor connector, etc. I will double-check when I get home.

I would note that Stevens says "PKZ3351, PKZ3352, or PKZUA1151" in the manual. Do all models of the 3351 share this limitation, and does the 1151 (Night Vapor) also share it?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:26 PM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
954 Posts
Well actually I checked the Horizon website and the PKZ3351 isn't listed anymore and has been discontinued.

It's easy to get confused since the PKZ3351 product ID is used for both the older style green dot and then for a newer revised version for the early Champ, which then became the PKZ3352 if I've understood it correctly.

Don't know about the Night Vapor receiver.

And if you get the 6410 it has elevator/rudder on the board which means you'll have to turn using the left stick on the transmitter (if you're on Mode 2).

The Champ brick is the one you want, and a smart thing to do is to order the fuselage with electronics which for some inscrutable reason is slightly cheaper than the bare receiver but includes motor, gearbox and pushrods.

And I meant to say, nice job on the covering!
Pouncer is online now Find More Posts by Pouncer
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:56 PM
Joined Oct 2008
218 Posts
Thanks, that makes sense on the 3351/2. On my Heath (the previous model in the series) I used the 6410 and just did a 100% mix rudder -> aileron.

I actually may do the fuselage/electronics if the LHS has it and is willing to do the exchange. If I decide I want a BNF Champ at some point, that would be a cheap way to go, since I want the receiver anyway.

Thanks for the compliment, I of course, only see the little errors :-).
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:33 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
943 Posts
Looking good! I'm still waiting for my 140 to arrive. Really enjoying the SA micros!
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:51 PM
United States, OH, Dublin
Joined Sep 2001
440 Posts
I will be using the brick and motor for the micro P-51. Attached picture is how far I am right now. This is my first kit from them and have to say everything fit perfectly.

I think I will be buying more kits from them. Very satisfied with the quality.
pohlmeyr is offline Find More Posts by pohlmeyr
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:50 PM
Joined Oct 2008
218 Posts
CF105, Have you received a shipping notice yet?

pohmeyr, nice work! I'm also using the micro P-51 motor/gearbox.

Dennis
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:45 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhurlbut View Post
CF105, Have you received a shipping notice yet?

pohmeyr, nice work! I'm also using the micro P-51 motor/gearbox.

Dennis
Yes, a couple of weeks ago. Last tracking update put it in Los Angeles. Probably held up in Customs. Canada-USA mail can be... unpredictable.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:09 PM
M16 CIII/AR15/FN 2000 and PS90
United States, AR, Waldron
Joined Jan 2005
520 Posts
Took me a bit but at least I now know what says nuh means. TNX for the laugh.
Denile is offline Find More Posts by Denile
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:22 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,160 Posts
You guys are making me want to start mine tomorrow. Nice builds. I have the Piper Vagabond also, and its just as nice. If you love the little 140, then you will definetly want the Vagabond.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:05 AM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
943 Posts
I missed the Piper. Will order it at some point though. The Fly Baby is awesome!

My 140 arrived yesterday... Can't wait to get at it!