HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:43 PM
Registered User
earlwb's Avatar
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,854 Posts
I hadn't considered myself a collector as I intended to use all the engines I acquired over the years. But now I have so many engines, it is now very doubtful I will use them all. So I guess I can resign myself to being a collector too.


Worse was when I was intending to build a new ACE Littlest Stick again (I have done it several times already) I discovered that the engines and airplane kits are now selling for high prices. So I haven't broke open my last kit yet. I am reluctant to do so now. I might just scratch build one instead. I actually used a Mattel single channel radio for the first one I built. The second one used Pro-Line radio gear. The third one had Futaba gear. The first two used TD .010 engines and the third one used a PeeWee .020 with a RC throttle too. I still have the remains of the fuselage of a fourth one that had a .020 engine on it as well. They actually wore out from getting slowly fuel soaked over time and getting heavier and heavier from flying a lot. Being so light weight, they survived crashes really well. The TD .010 engines had to be set a touch on the rich side as they would lean out in the air. So the hand launch was always a bit hairy as the little tiny engine didn't quite have enough power then for takeoffs.

earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jan 29, 2013 at 01:49 PM. Reason: add more information
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:21 PM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I hadn't considered myself a collector as I intended to use all the engines I acquired over the years. But now I have so many engines, it is now very doubtful I will use them all. So I guess I can resign myself to being a collector too.


Worse was when I was intending to build a new ACE Littlest Stick again (I have done it several times already) I discovered that the engines and airplane kits are now selling for high prices. So I haven't broke open my last kit yet. I am reluctant to do so now. I might just scratch build one instead. I actually used a Mattel single channel radio for the first one I built. The second one used Pro-Line radio gear. The third one had Futaba gear. The first two used TD .010 engines and the third one used a PeeWee .020 with a RC throttle too. I still have the remains of the fuselage of a fourth one that had a .020 engine on it as well. They actually wore out from getting slowly fuel soaked over time and getting heavier and heavier from flying a lot. Being so light weight, they survived crashes really well. The TD .010 engines had to be set a touch on the rich side as they would lean out in the air. So the hand launch was always a bit hairy as the little tiny engine didn't quite have enough power then for takeoffs.

That's the irony of today's modelling, a box full of balsa costing more than a ready to fly airplane that, in some cases, is better built than what a large number of builders is able to turn out ! I bought a NIB Graupner Taxi Mk-1 kit but had to pay a lot of money for it so I decided to buy another NIB and that was even more expensive. Look at those Graupner prices on ebay Germany. Anybody got a Sig Morissey Bravo kit ? Only 30 made so I've heard.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:13 PM
No worries... it can be fixed.
Billybobjoepants's Avatar
Joined Jun 2012
136 Posts
The amount of help here is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royotr View Post
The alternative is to buy a AP Wasp .061 which for around 29 from LHS comes with r/c throttle, and small muffler. It is a bit more powerful and of a similar size. Friends and I have had at least 4 of these engines from "Barnstormers RC Models " in Winsford over the last couple of years. They are part of the Super Custom range of Aero engines.
I think I'm gonna have to look into that!
Billybobjoepants is offline Find More Posts by Billybobjoepants
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:32 AM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
GallopingGhostlr's Avatar
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
560 Posts
Here in US, I've observed the AP Wasp .061 is no longer offered by the various Internet stores. It is no longer listed or is listed as "Out of Stock". The only engine within that class available is the Thunder Tiger GP-07 or the Norvel .074 (http://www.nvengines.com).

Since the GP-07 has the same mounting lug spacing as the Norvel .061 and .049 Tee Dee, I was planning to mount it in a Norvel 1 oz (30 cc) RC tank mount. This will require grinding a portion of plastic so the GP-07's lower bulkhead mount tab will clear tank mount.

I plan to use this in my soon to be rebuilt Q-Tee. That should "turbo-charge" it!
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:22 AM
Cox Engine Hoarder
Jason_WI's Avatar
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
Joined Jun 2004
571 Posts
Here is my Selena Products Cox Twin:

Jason_WI is offline Find More Posts by Jason_WI
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:53 AM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,222 Posts
Jason, please tell me about the engine in your avatar. An Olympic .15 with rear rotary intake? If so, does it have a longer than stock crank pin?

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:21 PM
Registered User
surfer_kris's Avatar
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGhostlr View Post
I plan to use this in my soon to be rebuilt Q-Tee. That should "turbo-charge" it!
A good TT07 is only about as good as a regular Norvel .061...
surfer_kris is offline Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:41 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
GallopingGhostlr's Avatar
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer_kris View Post
A good TT07 is only about as good as a regular Norvel .061...
The late Randy Randolph, a small planes designer featured in various modeling magazines liked the TT07 because it was a smooth running sport engine. Since I have it and the Norvel .061 is tied up in another plane, I figured, "Why not?".
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Cox Fuel Tank converstion kit for .049 engine NEW Paulsitive Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 3 Feb 08, 2013 01:44 PM
For Sale Cox Scorpion ARF. (New in the Box) with or without Cox 09.- OBO VampeD4 Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Aug 02, 2009 09:10 AM
For Sale Enya 15 r/c, Cox BB .049 and a Cox TeeDee .010 for sale - all new NitroCharged Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 2 Jul 03, 2007 06:59 AM
Off Site COX T.D. .09's (2) New - Now On EBAY glider34 Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 1 Jul 14, 2006 11:15 AM