HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:36 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Discussion
Flyzone S.E.5a Mods Thread

I didn't see where anyone had started an S.E.5a Mods Thread so I thought I'd start one.

I usually build my own micros with my friend Speedy01,(Gene). But I saw the FZ SE5 and thought it looked great it has lots of nice details and she flies great as is.

I'm not such a big fan of the S.E.5 but again I think FZ did a super job with this bird as they did with the Albatros, DR-I and Nieuport.

My plan is to strip it down take the paint off (If possible) and maybe put a PZ P-51motor/gearbox in it ( I just like that set up esp because the prop screws on off). The FZ set up is fine and as I said it flys great right out of the box. The only problem I had, that's an easy fix is the CF axle is too fragile and they will break. I replaced mine with wire.

The scheme I'm thinking is No. 56 Sq. Capt. Edric Broadberry's . Speedy01 may help using the ROF skin to make tissue decals for me. He recently did a great job on my micro D.VIII build.

I'm starting by adding one of my pilots, a gun sight to the Vickers gun , adding some valve cover details for the Wolseley Viper, and I tried using a screw to add the stiching details. I also Dremmeled out the cockpit to add some minor details.

Lots to do but not much time as I'm in the middle of a move but I thought I'd get started.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Last edited by mtflyr; Dec 14, 2012 at 06:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:42 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
I'm right behind you, Pete.

This is something I will be buying and modding.

Thanks Dave and Flyzone!
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:55 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,921 Posts
I'm interedted in what you guys come up with for mods on this plane.

What do you hope to gain from modding the power system? Personally, I don't think it need anything. So far I have 7 long (10+ minute) flights on mine and the performance is fine. It's not overpowered by any means but nothing about this plane makes me crave more speed or vertical performance and the efficiency is apparently quite good.

I suppose the Mustang power system will be quieter...but probably heavier too.

The visual mods should be interesting. I'm thrilled with the stock scheme but they can always be more realistic or more original.

So...good luck to you guys! I'll stay tuned in to this one.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:48 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
MRGTX,

I agree in every way with you. I just like the ease of the screw on P-51 or other screw on type props and I also think it's a better prop. I trim about a 1/4" off the prop tips. As for the P-51 set up also I just like it I'm not looking for more speed it's nice to have and the tad of extra weight is where it needs to be using the P-51set up. I've done the same with my two FZ Albatros mods and my FZ DR-I.

I do want to add more details such as flying wires, highlight the Vickers & Lewis Gun details and paint the 56 SQ Capt. Edric Broadberry SE scheme. It does not need very much as I said the details are pretty darn good already.

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Dec 14, 2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:07 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,698 Posts
Pete,

Are the struts securely attached, in particular the Landing Gear?

What size wire did you use to replace the carbon axle?

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:11 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
The scheme I'm thinking is No. 56 Sq. Capt. Eric Broadberry's .
Let me know when you decide on a scheme!

Here are some Rise of Flight Broadberry prelims.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:32 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Okay Gene, I'll need to check the diameter with my caliper

Wing struts are on pretty good as is the top Lewis Gun. The LG struts on mine came off real easy ( I use straight Elemers to reconnect)

Oh yeah, Captain Eric Broadbery's SE5 is what I want to go with.

Thanks Gene.
Last edited by mtflyr; Dec 12, 2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:45 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
I had some time to try to remove the SE5 decals.

The bottom wing roundels, fuselage, top wing stripe, No.19 and tail decals came off easy. The top wing roundels were a real pain. The decals are good and have a shinny plastic like coating that comes off first. I recommed if you want to weather the decals some, just remove this coating then they can chip and look somewhat weathered.

Next, I either have to get the green paint off or try using flat white or light gray to cover the areas that will be white with the new Captain Broadberry decals.

In Dremmeling out the cockpit I managed to slip and cut through the left side this will be fixed and a instrument decal will be placed over that area.

I've tried both the flat white & light gray on the tail. For color my plan is to go with a more brown PC-12 you can see a bit of that color on the left bottom wing tip area.

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Dec 12, 2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:42 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,921 Posts

nice to watch folks who know what they're doing.

Broadbery's scheme is terrific looking! This should be cool.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:05 PM
Wilmington NC
Joined Aug 2010
226 Posts
Pete looks like ima have to get another guy from you. Hehe
C-ME-FLY is online now Find More Posts by C-ME-FLY
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:26 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Hey C-Me,

You need to get the SE5 if you have not already done so. It's

I did a little more white paint to cover things that will need the white base such as decals or wood. I can't seem to remove the green paint

At this time I'll leave the existing prop on and paint it as well as the outer wing struts and LG legs to look like wood. I'll use Testors Wood, Tamiya Clear Orange with a few streaks of an Oil paint Burt Sienna or Burnt Umber.

I did a little mock up of the Crocodile and code letters for Broadberry's plane from what Speedy01, Gene did for me.

Gene is going to work on the tissue decals for this bird but I really need to get rid of this green paint.

The wire diameter I used to replace the CF LG rod was .027" or.61mm

I could not get the green paint off so I brush painted the entire plane with acrylic white that I've used for the props etc. I plan to airbrush with Testors SchokladnBraun (Panzer Brown) # 4797 my tests show it looks ok on white foam so I hope it won't look too dark.

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Dec 13, 2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:43 PM
Wilmington NC
Joined Aug 2010
226 Posts
Will do for sure. I've looked at it and what I like the best is the motor pinion is friggn metal no more whaaaaaaaa .. it's a sweet looking plane. Now like I said I just need an American pilot. Hehe.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:01 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ME-FLY View Post
Will do for sure. I've looked at it and what I like the best is the motor pinion is friggn metal no more whaaaaaaaa .. it's a sweet looking plane. Now like I said I just need an American pilot. Hehe.
It still goes "whaaa" but it's much better than the previous releases that went "WHAAA!"
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:08 AM
Wilmington NC
Joined Aug 2010
226 Posts
Mabey I'll get enginuitive and put a little piggy as the pilot.Did the little piggy go Weee Weee all through the flight. Hells Yessssss pure adrenaline. LoL
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:31 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Oh God....

Getting ready for new paint.

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Dec 13, 2012 at 04:42 PM.