HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:30 PM
Fear me, I'm a space-duck.
Nederland, GE, Wageningen
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
Build Log
Second design, now with 8 more milltimeters!

Huzzah!
Yup, I'm still around and am planning to start building again.

I've been very busy lately with school (final year) and other projects of mine; fireworks, coilguns, drawing, etc. Man I've got too many hobbies...
So yeah, I didn't really have time for building nor flying. Which is also why I haven't maidened my delta yet. That, and bad weather...
I'm still not exactly done with any of my projects, but after seeing Freddies mirage-2000 buildlog I got re-infected with the builder's virus.

Anyways, I was trying to come up with a new design untill I found the wreckage of my earlier attempt. So that's when I got the idea that I actually really liked that design and that I should build it again, but now with a bigger motor. I want to keep the model pretty much the same (Some small changes on the ducting and all) but instead of using the underpowered 27 mm edf, I now want to scram a skyangel unit inside. That'd do it.

It will probably be a slow build as I also have to study Dutch literature and other boring stuff for my exams. That, and my many, many other projects will take up some time, but we'll see how it goes.
Hanzie
hanzie is offline Find More Posts by hanzie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:34 PM
Flying Dutchman!
Nederland, FL, Emmeloord
Joined Sep 2011
315 Posts
Fireworks... Man thats illigal ;-)

As long as you watch your fingers and eyes you can fly one missing legg wil be allright :-)
Keep it up ill be watching :-)
robertboxhoorn is offline Find More Posts by robertboxhoorn
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:38 PM
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
So thar; The first progress!
I started with the fuse so I could fit the fan inside. Apparantly I didn't have to change much to make it fit.
The fan is going to be permanently attached, so I'll have to balance it completely before closing everthing up.

This time I'll use what I've learned from my other builds to make it stronger and lighter with more and better placed carbon fibre. The intakes will be bigger, and I want to use the entire rear wings as a delta setup; So with clear main wings without ailerons.

Here are the first pics:
Hanzie
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
Fireworks illigal? Nah, not as long as you know what you're doing. It's not like I blow up the entire neighbourhood, I make rockets and colored effects and all, not heavy explosives.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
A bit more progress; I made the wing-cores. I already forgot what airfoil I used... I also added the first main carbon wing reenforcement to the fuse with some epoxy and glassfibre.
After this I will cover the wings with thin balsa again, but that might have to wait for a while untill I can get some wood at the club. Should be next Friday...
So yeah, more progress to follow later.
Hanzie
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:24 AM
Flying Dutchman!
Nederland, FL, Emmeloord
Joined Sep 2011
315 Posts
I remember mh54
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:52 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Subbed. No hurry, and I agree on the 27mm underpowered, over amped thing!

And I found out Wifey's Grandfather was The Guy that made ALL of the fireworks here in Omaha Nebraska for the Italian festivals every year, back in the 1910-1940's. He is gone now, but wouldn't it be sweet if he was still around and he could teach me some things! Met the guy who 'took over the business' and Gramps taught him what to do.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:32 AM
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
Thanks for stopping by Fred.
I've completely had it with that 27mm fan, it didn't work one bit! Glad we still got the 35mm's.

Anyways; MOAR CARBON!
So there, I added some more carbon rods to make things stronger again. I'm not making the same mistake I did on the first try; I then cut small pieces of carbon for between the ribs instead of long pieces along the entire fuse.
As far as I know, carbon rods don't block the 2.4 signal the way carbon fiber tissue does, right?

I also added a second wing support bar with some glass. As I'm planning of making full moving tail surfaces, the main wings won't get any control surfaces. This allows for removing or even changing the wings. That means I can go and test some different types of wings and see what works best.

Now I'm stuck. I need to start on the intakes, but I'm all out of balsa. Oh well, maybe I can take a look at the servos first. Final weight so far including all electronics is 80 grams. 30 of which are battery. I'm hoping I can keep the flying weight under 100 grams, but I think it'll fly anyways.

Hanzie
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:29 PM
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
Servos in place. ^^
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:08 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Looking good Hanzie. Busy weekends so I have had little time to visit or post on RCG. Keep up the great work. It is coming along quickly!

Fred
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
Thanks! I've got the same problems with time...
However, just got back from the club, and I've got me some new balsa to work with. I completed the internal ducting and can start covering soon.
I'll keep ya updated. ^^
Hanzie
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:33 AM
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
Did some more work on the intakes and added an exhaust tube. I also started covering the fuse and made the hinges for the rear wings. More to follow.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:00 AM
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
Added the hinges and control horns. The rear wings will be built around the carbon rods sticking out the rear. Does anyone know how large the throws should be when using full moving surfaces? Wouldn't want it to flutter all over the place when I make the throws too big.
Hanzie
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:22 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Looking great. Confidence, large control throws. It will be fine, just hold on.

Fred
Last edited by Freddie B; Dec 11, 2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:15 PM
Flying Dutchman!
Nederland, FL, Emmeloord
Joined Sep 2011
315 Posts
For this size about 1 cm and 2 on dual rate at 35% expo will be fine