HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:25 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
Ahh what your thinking is the way Australia got the release a day before you guys and i was releasing the info first, well thats what changed, i still get the planes to do reviews i just don't have a clue whats coming till HH release first. I knew i was getting something this Friday but did not have any idea what it was till HH released the planes about 3pm Thursday Australian time then i was hoping it would be the Edge 540 but alas it was the Mini Vapor, still a very nice little indoor plane. I asked about the Edge and they do not have a sample for me yet so it looks like i might get one sometime this is one plane i really want to try
oh and for us Aussies i was told it could be January before we see them here

cheers chuck
Ya!!! Lets see that mini vapor chuck!!!
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:27 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,004 Posts
Hey Chuck,,, anyone ever tell you you look like a pirate??
Could be a good persona for you,,, the pirate flyer. :-)
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:27 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
It does make knife edges easy,,, but isn't it a little like a crutch then?? :-)
Flying a Extra 300 3D (flat foamie) would be a crutch then because it does make doing 3D so easy. But that's not the case. It's simply a great airframe very well designed to do 3D specifically. I think to really appreciate AS3X, you have to have flown both the Beast V1 and V2. QQ did an awesome job on the V1. I was (or is?) probably the best ultra-micro airplane (for it's look, complexity and flying quality at the same time). You could do Knife Edges VERY easily with it all day long, and you could somewhat hover it, do KE loops, etc. But with V2, AS3X simply made this great airframe better, but it's far from being a crutch!!! You don't see people doing hover all day long. You simply see people doing longer and more perfect KE, even if there's a little wind. You see people doing longer hover. But again, people who could not hover the V1 couldn't hover the V2. People who could not do a decent KE didn't became expert at it the next day (though it simply did help improving their skill much faster).

Extra weight for the AS3X is minimal and extra cost isn't that bad. Most 3 axis gyro system today have a way to turn it off and on using a switch on the transmitter. Wouldn't that be the best of both world? I think it's time for HH to do it! If somebody doesn't like AS3X, then he simply doesn't have to use it. But I have a feeling that on those days where there's a 5mph to 10mph wind, on something as small as the Edge, the switch would be on more often than off!
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:51 AM
Central Massachusetts
Joined Aug 2006
1,263 Posts
AS3X doesn't help you fly better. It makes the airplane fly better. Yes it corrects wind but it also makes the plane fly bigger. I don't know how to explain this trait, I obviously enjoy that big feel when I fly my 3DHS 57" Extra 330. The predictability found in bigger planes isn't cheating. Neither is gyro's on smaller planes. It's a great feeling to fly something smaller that has that big feel.

I'm really looking forward to the 540QQ. I love the color, size and the price.
It should be perfect for the upcoming mid winter windless days when I want to quickly get outside for a few battery packs.
ducatirdr is online now Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:47 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,507 Posts
I couldn't help but burst out laughing when I read this.

Quote:
Hey Chuck,,, anyone ever tell you you look like a pirate??
Could be a good persona for you,,, the pirate flyer. :-)

Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:55 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
I couldn't help but burst out laughing when I read this.
LOL. Me, too.

(But, my wife says that Chuck is the most-interesting thing about this hobby......)

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:31 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
2,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
Ahh what your thinking is the way Australia got the release a day before you guys and i was releasing the info first, well thats what changed, i still get the planes to do reviews i just don't have a clue whats coming till HH release first. I knew i was getting something this Friday but did not have any idea what it was till HH released the planes about 3pm Thursday Australian time then i was hoping it would be the Edge 540 but alas it was the Mini Vapor, still a very nice little indoor plane. I asked about the Edge and they do not have a sample for me yet so it looks like i might get one sometime this is one plane i really want to try
oh and for us Aussies i was told it could be January before we see them here

cheers chuck
Say it aint so!
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:46 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,507 Posts
Lol

You wife has a thing for chuck perhaps
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined Aug 2010
3,188 Posts
Quote:
Lol
You wife has a thing for chuck perhaps
You think?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:33 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,507 Posts
Stranger things gave have happened
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,188 Posts
Quote:
Stranger things gave have happened
For example, this.....

Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:10 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,923 Posts
Quote:
It does make knife edges easy,,, but isn't it a little like a crutch then?? :-)
For me, AS3X is an enhancement to my flying and not a crutch...I can do knife edges from coast to coast without AS3X...But I've gotta say---AS3X makes flying small planes in windy conditions a snap!!!...AS3X doesn't fly the plane for you---You still have to wiggle the sticks just right to do blenders, controlled snaps that start and end on point, High speed rolls that end on point---ETC...I was skeptical at first with AS3X but now I'm a huge fan!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:52 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,024 Posts
It's not about cheating with a gyro or not. It's about the " If it doesn't have AS3X I'm not buying it!" comments. AS3X is nice, but to those people I say drop the crutch learn to really fly or simply miss out on a ton of really good planes.
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kuczy; Oct 27, 2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:26 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,080 Posts
There are tons of good planes without AS3X, but for alot of people, the AS3X planes fly so well and are so convenient, they dont want to spend money on something else. Most people cant buy every great plane, but if you want a couple great flying micros, they'll go for the AS3X ones. If it was a crutch then flying a 100 inch wingspan plane is a crutch because its so large and stable
AS3X does a great job of limiting movement, rather than stopping it(except in the heading hold applications on helis). AS3X planes often still need a little trim, sometimes might still have a little coupling.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:54 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
2,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
It's not about cheating with a gyro or not. It's about the " If it doesn't have AS3X I'm not buying it!" comments. AS3X is nice, but to those people I say drop the crutch learn to really fly or simply miss out on a ton of really good planes.
very true... to me as3x is over rated...
for me its not at all needed.... for me it does nothing extra
I will say my UM P-51 is nuts in the wind!
really takes some good fingers to fly it
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55