HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2014, 02:11 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshop64 View Post
I would like a recommendation on a charging unit with automatic shutoff for lipo batteries for my little quad. I have an X4. Any assistance most appreciated.
I have a Imax B6AC and a losi multi adapter charge cable.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2014, 07:24 PM
Joined Feb 2014
7 Posts
Is it possible to use it as Manual Mode (i.e. with no compensation from gyro/accel like the Q-BOT)?
darkridder is offline Find More Posts by darkridder
Old Mar 05, 2014, 02:39 PM
Flying, Flying, Crash....
steenwijk NL
Joined Jun 2008
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkridder View Post
Is it possible to use it as Manual Mode (i.e. with no compensation from gyro/accel like the Q-BOT)?
No, Only different flight modes but no gyro elemination... (but why would you).
plantjes is offline Find More Posts by plantjes
Old Mar 05, 2014, 04:13 PM
Australia, NSW, Avoca Beach
Joined Jul 2013
1,030 Posts
The Hubsan X4 review thread

I think dark means "no auto leveling". E.g. "No accelerometer", "rate mode", "acro mode". Flying without gyro would require some serious brain acrobatics
The gyro makes a quad fly at all, and the accelerometer makes it auto-level.
Gyro mode is also referred to as "3-axis mode", "rate mode", or "acro mode". If you hold the pitch/roll stick off center, this will result in constant attitude change. If you let go, the quad retains the current attitude.
Flying with accelerometer is referred to as "6-axis", "level mode" or "angle mode". If you hold the pitch/roll stick off center, you command a constant attitude. If you return the stick to center, the quad will return to level.
Rate mode lets you flip etc, angle mode doesn't (unless you cut throttle at the right time, but that's more like accidental panic flips..)

(Btw, I don't get why it's called "accelerometer". It's not measuring acceleration (that's what the gyro does), but absolute attitude. Someone care to educate me?)

I don't think you can fly an X4 in rate mode. I might be wrong. My first X4 is still sitting in the paint shop in Denver
benedikt is online now Find More Posts by benedikt
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: I'm trading motors for videos
Old Mar 11, 2014, 08:57 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benedikt View Post
I think dark means "no auto leveling". E.g. "No accelerometer", "rate mode", "acro mode". Flying without gyro would require some serious brain acrobatics
The gyro makes a quad fly at all, and the accelerometer makes it auto-level.
Gyro mode is also referred to as "3-axis mode", "rate mode", or "acro mode". If you hold the pitch/roll stick off center, this will result in constant attitude change. If you let go, the quad retains the current attitude.
Flying with accelerometer is referred to as "6-axis", "level mode" or "angle mode". If you hold the pitch/roll stick off center, you command a constant attitude. If you return the stick to center, the quad will return to level.
Rate mode lets you flip etc, angle mode doesn't (unless you cut throttle at the right time, but that's more like accidental panic flips..)

(Btw, I don't get why it's called "accelerometer". It's not measuring acceleration (that's what the gyro does), but absolute attitude. Someone care to educate me?)

I don't think you can fly an X4 in rate mode. I might be wrong. My first X4 is still sitting in the paint shop in Denver
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

A depiction of an accelerometer designed at Sandia National Laboratories.
An accelerometer is a device that measures proper acceleration. The proper acceleration measured by an accelerometer is not necessarily the coordinate acceleration (rate of change of velocity). Instead, the accelerometer sees the acceleration associated with the phenomenon of weight experienced by any test mass at rest in the frame of reference of the accelerometer device. For example, an accelerometer at rest on the surface of the earth will measure an acceleration g= 9.81 m/s2 straight upwards, due to its weight. By contrast, accelerometers in free fall or at rest in outer space will measure zero. Another term for the type of acceleration that accelerometers can measure is g-force acceleration.

Accelerometers have multiple applications in industry and science. Highly sensitive accelerometers are components of inertial navigation systems for aircraft and missiles. Accelerometers are used to detect and monitor vibration in rotating machinery. Accelerometers are used in tablet computers and digital cameras so that images on screens are always displayed upright. Accelerometers are used in drones for flight stabilisation.

Single- and multi-axis models of accelerometer are available to detect magnitude and direction of the proper acceleration (or g-force), as a vector quantity, and can be used to sense orientation (because direction of weight changes), coordinate acceleration (so long as it produces g-force or a change in g-force), vibration, shock, and falling in a resistive medium (a case where the proper acceleration changes, since it starts at zero, then increases). Micromachined accelerometers are increasingly present in portable electronic devices and video game controllers, to detect the position of the device or provide for game input.

Pairs of accelerometers extended over a region of space can be used to detect differences (gradients) in the proper accelerations of frames of references associated with those points. These devices are called gravity gradiometers, as they measure gradients in the gravitational field. Such pairs of accelerometers in theory may also be able to detect gravitational waves.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Mar 12, 2014, 04:28 AM
Australia, NSW, Avoca Beach
Joined Jul 2013
1,030 Posts
Ah, thanks, makes more sense now.
I feel a bit bad now though, being slapped with an obvious Wikipedia article ;)
benedikt is online now Find More Posts by benedikt
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: I'm trading motors for videos
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:41 PM
Joined May 2009
261 Posts
Hey guys.
I got the Hubsan x4 yesterday and it's a blast.. however, I noticed a pretty strong drift today. I swapped out one prop which had a small notch in it, and that fixed it.. but then I noticed that the prop is not quite as tall as the other three. The spares that came with the X4 and the extra spares I bought all don't cover the entire length of the motor shaft, unlike the ones that came mounted on it. Is that normal? Or did I get some rather old stock of previous-model props? I could see that with the additional spares, but not really the set that came in the box.
Arakon is offline Find More Posts by Arakon
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:56 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,277 Posts
Hi A,
Yes the old style shorter hubbed props still seem to be sold. Just do a the straw mod and you will be fine.
This will help you too: From the Mini and Micro and Nano Multicopter section of the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index:
--Improving Hubsan X4 flight performance 101

Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakon View Post
Hey guys.
I got the Hubsan x4 yesterday and it's a blast.. however, I noticed a pretty strong drift today. I swapped out one prop which had a small notch in it, and that fixed it.. but then I noticed that the prop is not quite as tall as the other three. The spares that came with the X4 and the extra spares I bought all don't cover the entire length of the motor shaft, unlike the ones that came mounted on it. Is that normal? Or did I get some rather old stock of previous-model props? I could see that with the additional spares, but not really the set that came in the box.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:32 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
5,543 Posts
I have original X-4 with mucho air time. It still flys fine. couple of items of interest FWIW.
1-Stick with stock props. Tried WK ladybird props and started to heat motors.
2-When binding use 100% flat surface. Binding happens fast so don't hold it and conect battery then take sweet time to set it down. Be quick about it.
3-Allow alot of time to cool down. I don't remove battery till I change it for a new one. Again do as you may. Big advice don't even think of flying it on hard top.
these motors are not PNP.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Mar 23, 2014, 04:14 AM
Just Fly!
India
Joined Jan 2013
118 Posts
Is it normal for the TX to just stop working and let the x4 fall when it runs out of batteries?
Its really worrying me.. It has happened twice and both the times I was extremely lucky because I was flying over my bed.
What if it happens at a height
abhi19nav is offline Find More Posts by abhi19nav
Old Mar 23, 2014, 06:39 AM
Germany, HE, Frankfurt
Joined Oct 2006
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi19nav View Post
Is it normal for the TX to just stop working and let the x4 fall when it runs out of batteries?
Yes, that will happen if TX-battery is empty.

Quote:
... What if it happens at a height
It will drop deeper, sorry couldn't resist
-Michael
MadMichael is online now Find More Posts by MadMichael
Old Mar 23, 2014, 06:46 AM
Just Fly!
India
Joined Jan 2013
118 Posts
okay, so how do you know the batteries need to be changed? It doesn't give any warning it seems..
Old Mar 23, 2014, 08:24 AM
Germany
Joined Jan 2014
108 Posts
The Hubsan TX has an battery level indicator.Also the X4 quad start to flash its leds when his the battery is low.
marbelo is online now Find More Posts by marbelo
Old Mar 23, 2014, 09:19 AM
Just Fly!
India
Joined Jan 2013
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marbelo View Post
The Hubsan TX has an battery level indicator.Also the X4 quad start to flash its leds when his the battery is low.
Yeah I know that, but my TX still shows atleast 4 bars when the batteries die.. Well nvm... now Ill change the batteries as soon as it becomes even one bar less than all 6 bars..
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:07 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,311 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I know that, but my TX still shows atleast 4 bars when the batteries die.. Well nvm... now Ill change the batteries as soon as it becomes even one bar less than all 6 bars..
My advice is to get a cheap battery tester and verify that they're all weak before throwing them all out.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member