HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:50 AM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
880 Posts
Discussion
What's your favorite Hobbyking Plane.?

The title say's it all....but I will add my current favorites.

- AXN Floater Jet
- Radjet 800
- Rarebear

Waiting on delivery of Zephyr V-70

I'm really surprised no one has done an HK Plane favorite thread before.

-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:01 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,264 Posts
Stinger 64...
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:18 AM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
924 Posts
Well, they're sold through Hobby King, but I really dig these little Nine Eagles 400mm warbirds, we have the Spitfire and the P47, and both planes are the smoothest little things I've flown so far besides my CX Helicopter, both planes can pull off loops, inverted (to an extent), can't really roll with them, they just want to bank off into a turn when you try, but BIG fun to fly! I love 'em!
matiac is online now Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
Love the nine Eagle Sky Surfer. Will get one soon.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
I'm not sure if mine came from HK, but they sell it: the SkyArTech Cessna 182 foamie.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:04 PM
United States, MD, Charles
Joined Aug 2012
7 Posts
A BROKEN ONE.

I have recently bought a plane from HobbyKing. Id rather fly the damn thing full speed into the ground then try to fight with this PIECE OF JUNK anymore.

DO NOT BUY A PLANE FROM HOBBY KING. This is your only warning.

On the other hand, they make super cheap batteries that work just fine. Id buy batteries from them all day before buying a battery anywhere else for 5x the cost.
drumgod007 is offline Find More Posts by drumgod007
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:45 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,264 Posts
Wow... 2 whole posts and bashing the biggest seller of r/c mocel planes and parts...
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:02 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
Wow... 2 whole posts and bashing the biggest seller of r/c model planes and parts...
Hehehe... good point. Everyone's an expert hey!

I've only ordered once from HK (from the new UK warehouse) and it went pretty well, but that was only a couple of LiPos. However I know plenty of people who order regularly (including airframes), and a few who used to but have had bad experiences. Their views (in general) seem to be one or other of...
  1. "I recognise this is an offshore business, that postage will be expensive and sometimes long winded, and that customer service and quality is sometimes variable. However the very low prices are worth it for me, and by using the forums I can find out if a product has any issues I need to know about before deciding to purchase."
  2. "I expect speedy delivery, excellent service and a perfect product every time. I should be able to look at the HK website, order and the product turn up tomorrow working exactly as advertised. My local hobby store/in-country online shop can do this, but for some reason HK don't seem to be able to manage it!"
Put simply there is always an element of you get what you pay for - the reason HK don't have good customer service is because they are operating in big volumes and taking pretty small margins. If you want perfect customer service and quality there are plenty of retailers who can provide that for you in country, but it will cost more.
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Aug 10, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:10 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,264 Posts
Well said Matty, also just as in anything else in life, you need to do your research before laying down your peso's. HK has some wonderful products at great prices but like any vendor they also have some that just are not as well designed and made. This thread on airfraft can bring out the best and worst but the OP asked for best so that is what we should focus on. Even though he's a god in his own eyes, I suspect drum god isn't that experienced in r/c airplanes. His bad experience with a HK airplane added to that experience hopefully he will do some research and try another HK product with better results.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:00 AM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
924 Posts
Hobby King ROCKS!...'cept when you have to wait 3 millenia for a battery from Hong Kong. Hmm, Hobby King, H.K., Hong Kong, H.K....hmm...
matiac is online now Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:03 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,596 Posts
I like them all, but I'd say my favorites would be Bixler,Solo 1500, Sky 500
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:15 AM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
I'm not sure if mine came from HK, but they sell it: the SkyArTech Cessna 182 foamie.
I don't know if HK sells Skyartec products, but the US distributor is Park RC Models, or www.skyartec-usa.com. I just reviewed two Skyartec 250-class helicopters over at Ezonemag.com..

I had the pleasure of reviewing an HK plane which turned out to be rather nice. It's a J-3 Cub made by FMS and the darn thing was only $120 with radio, battery and charger. It flies like a dream and it's downright fast to boot.

Nicely made overall, but the plastic bits were awful. Worst of all were the wheel retainers. They were made out of the worst quality plastic imaginable, crumbled to the touch and were threaded onto the axle...in the same direction. So, had I not fixed it before the maiden flight, the left wheel would have unscrewed itself from the get-go.

I still have it, although I haven't flown it in awhile. It's in as-flown condition except for the propeller. I trimmed the motor shaft a bit and I'm running an APC slow-flyer with an E-flite adapter. It's not only much quieter since the factory prop is poorly balanced, it's a tad faster.

A buddy of mine just picked up an electric Sbach from HK. Nice balsa/ply construction and when I last saw it, he was fitting new elevator and rudder pushrods to it. He felt the originals were binding a bit.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:14 PM
Canada, ON, Greater Sudbury
Joined Nov 2011
111 Posts
First plane t45 edf Goshawk.. Too pretty to fly, still on the wall... but ready
182 Cessna, awesome trainer, still pretty quick and crashes fairly well
Bixler has been flying great, limited flights with perfect record... so far
HK450tt heli.. waiting until winter to build

Goshawk the best looking and most impressive purchase for me but the bixler is my favorite planr right now for my entry level flying skills
firedawg1998 is offline Find More Posts by firedawg1998
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:30 PM
Arizona Fun
Casa Grande Arizona
Joined Mar 2010
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
Wow... 2 whole posts and bashing the biggest seller of r/c mocel planes and parts...
Biggest seller? Please show me where I can verify that statement...
ArizonaFun is offline Find More Posts by ArizonaFun
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:03 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,264 Posts
You want verification that grass is green too? Who do you think is the largest seller of r/c product? And does it matter? The point is he had two whole posts and and has bought one airplane from them and he thinks he knows everything... Doesn't say what it was or if he did any research or if he even knows how to fly.

"Id rather fly the damn thing full speed into the ground..."

"DO NOT BUY A PLANE FROM HOBBY KING. This is your only warning."