HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Rat Brother 1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 28, 2012, 02:53 PM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jun 2011
187 Posts
Discussion
SEMFF WWII combat MIG 3

Kits and plans here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1012551

Motor: HXM2730-1700kv
ESC: ZTW 12A
Servos: Hextronik HXT900 9g
Prop: APC 8x6 slow fly
Spinner: DU-BRO 1-3/4" Dia.
Battery: Gens Ace 800mAh 2S 20c
Weight with battery: 10-5/8oz. (303g)
Paint: Createx Opaque (red & white), Testors (aluminum), SpectraTex (for the sky blue; custom mix)
Panel lines: Fine tip Sharpie

Purchased this as kit last year and after starting it I put it on the back-burner until the beginning of May. Made the exhaust stacks out of scrap foam that came with the kit and shortened the ailerons at the tips for a more scale appearance. The leading edge also has a wood dowel set-in for added strength from the root to the tip of the KF airfoil. The bend was made by soaking the tip of the dowel and nailing it to a board overnight to match the curve in the wing tip. The whole airframe was treated with a mixture of lightweight filler, WBPU, talc, paint (white) and water, than sanded smooth. I took a little to much off the underside though . The joint where the wing meets the fuselage was filled with a epoxy- micro balloons mixture using a Starbucks wooden coffee stick to get the curve constant. Ditto for the scoop on the belly. The stars were painted using Grafix Low Tack frisket film that I got at Michaels. The canopy was all hand done after making a template from Ken's plans that I cut out and penciled onto the fuselage.
Rat Brother 1 is offline Find More Posts by Rat Brother 1
Last edited by Rat Brother 1; May 29, 2012 at 03:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts