HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:47 AM
Some Sharp Looking Cheddar
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2008
1,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrrps View Post
Yes I did, I even moved the rudder to the left in case it's reversed.
Just in case you have something plugged into the wrong slot, try putting each stick in each corner once (with props off)
i love nachos is online now Find More Posts by i love nachos
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:54 AM
Le Havre, FRANCE
Joined Feb 2007
1,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i love nachos View Post
Just in case you have something plugged into the wrong slot, try putting each stick in each corner once (with props off)
I tried that too.
lrrps is offline Find More Posts by lrrps
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:57 AM
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2008
1,667 Posts
My Question for you pros is this. I have two of the HK v2 boards and I flashed the Xcopter firmware (I have tried multiple firmware with the same problem)on it. I plug it in and arm it, but I seem to be having trouble getting the motors to all act properly. In most cases, motors 1 and 3 work correctly, but 2 and 4 do the opposite of what they are supposed to. I made sure they are all plugged in correctly, and even started venturing out and plugging them in out of order to try and get it right. I can reverse the channels in the radio to fix 2 and 4, but then it causes problems with 1 and 3. Best I could get was all the motor working for elevator and aileron but 3 motors would fire up on left rudder input, and only one would go with right rudder input. I am starting to wonder if I have my radio setup improperly. I have aurora 9. Acro>1 Aileron. I just cant wrap my head around it. My only other thought is the way I have the RX connected I only used 2 servo leads just like shown in the picture. Any thoughts guys? I am hoping I am just missing something easy. Thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:21 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Aug 2011
306 Posts
I'm confused - you talk about x-copter firmware, but have a picture of a rcexplorer.se tricopter! A tricopter has its own firmware (currently version 1.6, I believe).

Wrong firmware? Or wrong picture?
David Jenkins is offline Find More Posts by David Jenkins
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:23 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,511 Posts
The picture is only an exsample if I understood correct. What firmware is installed on your board?
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:47 AM
Le Havre, FRANCE
Joined Feb 2007
1,875 Posts
I think I'm gonna save money & buy a Naza, I have no luck with the cheap chinese KK board.
lrrps is offline Find More Posts by lrrps
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:22 AM
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2008
1,667 Posts
Yes the tricopter picture is just to show the way that I set it up. I am flying a quad copter in X configuration. The firmware i am using is KapteinKuk QuadControl V4.7 X Mode Firmware. After using trying most of the files in the flashtool library, I found this one posted by Rolf on RCG.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:05 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
522 Posts
Are you guys that are having trouble following setup guides to the letter? You cannot just plug these things in and expect them to fly. You must calibrate the throttle range, you must check for proper gyro direction, etc. I have had times when a flash did not take or I missed the fact that the flashtool told me that nothing was written to the board. There is a learning curve with these KK boards but it is relatively shallow. Escs beeping usually means a throttle issue but possibly a power or signal issue. the signal cable goes to the inside pin on most boards. Motors not responding as expected might be part of the dreaded motor 4 out of trim issue.
rcexplorer.se has setup guides. If you get stuck, start over and if possible make a video so we can see what specifically the problem is.
slim1357 is online now Find More Posts by slim1357
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:15 PM
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2008
1,667 Posts
I have been following rcexplorer.se's guides since the beginning. I of course was not expecting plug n play with this board. I have actually spent about 5 hours tweaking and getting closer, just can't get to that happy place with it all. RCG is meant as a place to give and seek information. Not everyone is as educated when it comes to electronics and sometimes guidance is needed. Now, if you don't mind me asking, what is the dreaded motor 4 out of trim issue?

Thanks
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:35 PM
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Sep 2011
1,276 Posts
Quote:
My Question for you pros is this. I have two of the HK v2 boards and I flashed the Xcopter firmware (I have tried multiple firmware with the same problem)on it. I plug it in and arm it, but I seem to be having trouble getting the motors to all act properly. In most cases, motors 1 and 3 work correctly, but 2 and 4 do the opposite of what they are supposed to. I made sure they are all plugged in correctly, and even started venturing out and plugging them in out of order to try and get it right. I can reverse the channels in the radio to fix 2 and 4, but then it causes problems with 1 and 3. Best I could get was all the motor working for elevator and aileron but 3 motors would fire up on left rudder input, and only one would go with right rudder input. I am starting to wonder if I have my radio setup improperly. I have aurora 9. Acro>1 Aileron. I just cant wrap my head around it. My only other thought is the way I have the RX connected I only used 2 servo leads just like shown in the picture. Any thoughts guys? I am hoping I am just missing something easy. Thanks!
I have similiar problem. Try to trim the xcopter you will fly. Like me. I'm using v4.7x from Rolf and with triming it is working.
er9xuser is offline Find More Posts by er9xuser
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:37 PM
Joined Sep 2011
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrrps View Post
I think I'm gonna save money & buy a Naza, I have no luck with the cheap chinese KK board.
You must be doing smth wrong. I used HK KK V1 board from Hobbyking for 25USD and it flew perfectly after adjusting gyros and trims. No I switched to MultiWii and cant get same results yet. Thats what I like about the KK board - simple and it just works. Whereas MultiWii has tons of settings which are confusing.
RoboSerg is offline Find More Posts by RoboSerg
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:28 PM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
957 Posts
Can anyone help....getting really frustrated with this new kk blackboard now!!! it would'nt arm, so I posted a question, tried again, then it armed, tested eveything all seemed to be working, went for a first flight tonight and again would not arm, disconnected 3 input signals, just left throttle connected and it armed (blue led on) thought ok...connected it all again, then wont arm, went back to 1 signal because it worked before and it them did'nt arm.....whats going on!! it just does'nt make any sense!

Ready to bin this and get a different flight control board!
ripmax is online now Find More Posts by ripmax
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:57 PM
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2008
1,667 Posts
I think I am on track towards a solution for my goofy motor issues. It seems that if I plug the motors in from top to bottom 1,4,2,3 everything is functioning the way it should. I THINK now I just need to tweak the pots and trim because the second its airborn the sucker is spinning crazy. I feel encouraged though.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Dec 2010
522 Posts
Quote:
I flashed the Xcopter firmware
Which one? 4.7?

Quote:
I plug it in and arm it, but I seem to be having trouble getting the motors to all act properly. In most cases, motors 1 and 3 work correctly, but 2 and 4 do the opposite of what they are supposed to.
What does this mean? Please be specific. I could interpret this to mean that they are rotating the wrong direction and I would advise you to swap two wires on those motors so they rotate opposite the other two motors. I have no idea what your level of acumen with RC is. You might mean that they are not responding to gyro inputs in the way you expect them to and that would make more sense and I would have a different answer, try reversing gyros.

Quote:
I made sure they are all plugged in correctly, and even started venturing out and plugging them in out of order to try and get it right.
I would just start over if I were you. In any case it worked for me when I had problems installing my first board.

Quote:
I can reverse the channels in the radio to fix 2 and 4, but then it causes problems with 1 and 3. Best I could get was all the motor working for elevator and aileron but 3 motors would fire up on left rudder input, and only one would go with right rudder input.
This may be part of the motor 4 problem. Some people were experiencing a slow motor 4 that seemed to be lagging behind the others. I am pretty sure the final determination was that this was likely a trim problem that was related to what transmitter you were using. I have DX6I and I have to trim about 4 clicks down elevator and left aileron and 2 or 3 left yaw.
If everything is connected correctly then I would say that is likely the issue.

Quote:
I am starting to wonder if I have my radio setup improperly. I have aurora 9. Acro>1 Aileron. I just cant wrap my head around it. My only other thought is the way I have the RX connected I only used 2 servo leads just like shown in the picture. Any thoughts guys? I am hoping I am just missing something easy. Thanks!
Acro is right but 2 plugs? How does that work? What 2 plugs on the KK board are you plugged into? I'm not familiar with your radio but I have 4 channels from my rx to the board.

Quote:
I have been following rcexplorer.se's guides since the beginning. I of course was not expecting plug n play with this board. I have actually spent about 5 hours tweaking and getting closer, just can't get to that happy place with it all. RCG is meant as a place to give and seek information. Not everyone is as educated when it comes to electronics and sometimes guidance is needed. Now, if you don't mind me asking, what is the dreaded motor 4 out of trim issue?

Thanks
I ask only because it happens. Not reading the manual is a disease I am all too guilty of myself. Also, tone is frequently lost in text communication and I am aware that I can sound a little high and mighty ( Ivory towers or something...) but please believe me when I say that is not my intention. I know little of electronics and only started playing with multi-rotors last September. I was able to make it work and I honestly want to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripmax View Post
Can anyone help....getting really frustrated with this new kk blackboard now!!! it would'nt arm, so I posted a question, tried again, then it armed, tested eveything all seemed to be working, went for a first flight tonight and again would not arm, disconnected 3 input signals, just left throttle connected and it armed (blue led on) thought ok...connected it all again, then wont arm, went back to 1 signal because it worked before and it them did'nt arm.....whats going on!! it just does'nt make any sense!

Ready to bin this and get a different flight control board!
Very strange behavior to be sure but I would guess that it has something to do with the signal. Maybe end point adjustments? Are you using dual rates? With my wii board I have to turn off dual rates to get it to arm or disarm. Maybe something similar is happening here?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:06 PM
Joined Dec 2010
522 Posts
Quote:
I think I am on track towards a solution for my goofy motor issues. It seems that if I plug the motors in from top to bottom 1,4,2,3 everything is functioning the way it should. I THINK now I just need to tweak the pots and trim because the second its airborn the sucker is spinning crazy. I feel encouraged though.
Reverse yaw gyro.

Also motors connect in a different pattern in 4.7 than is shown in the rcexplorer setup.

see here