HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:56 PM
La Habra, California
Joined May 2004
575 Posts
Aros
My bet is that with a loud bang and enough vibration to throw of the canopy an ordnance that you threw a prop blade,
paracanary is offline Find More Posts by paracanary
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:24 PM
Vermilion, OH
Joined Aug 2010
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
I hesitate writing this.

Sometimes I think back on the years I've been in this hobby. All the ups and downs (literally and figuratively), the blood (prop meet skin), the sweat (pouring down my face as I labor together a plane in my garage), and the tears.

This beautiful Corsair of mine crashed today. The flight was going great. Then suddenly it looked like a mini-bomb exploded in the back. The entire empennage exploded away from the plane. There was nothing I could do but watch helplessly as she nose-dove straight into the ground.

It is totally my fault. I don't think I screwed the stab down tight enough. Even the CA I used to seal the stab and elevator to the fuse didn't prevent disaster. This one's on me and I'm sick about it.

The good news? It was all caught on video.

Incredibly, the plane is pretty much intact. There's damage of course to the front end and tears along the front and in the mid-wing area under the plane. But some epoxy and elbow grease, a new hub, spinner and prop and she will fly again.

I'll upload the video tonight. It's really incredible.

But hey, at least my Seahawks won today or I would REALLY be hitting the sauce!
Man that stinks!
godofthunder77 is offline Find More Posts by godofthunder77
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:28 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
HOLY COW BATMAN!!!....WOW!!! almost looks like the Lipo exploded or the Prop desinigrated and shredded the plane...It definately was not the enpenage section comeing off untill after the the damage.

At the very beginning you can see what looks like 3 of the prop blades go in different directions? and shread the hatch and drop tanks off
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:29 PM
Vermilion, OH
Joined Aug 2010
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post
HOLY COW BATMAN!!!....WOW!!! almost looks like the Lipo exploded or the Prop desinigrated and shredded the plane...It definately was not the enpenage section comeing off untill after the the damage.

At the very beginning you can see what looks like 3 of the prop blades go in different directions?
I agree. The tail is the last thing that came off. Listen to the sound, definately sounds like the prop shredding something.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:30 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,262 Posts
NTSB Please pick up the white courtesy phone...

Here you go...The video! Thanks again Wayne! (Although not the video I was hoping for)

Fatal Crash of the FMS 1700MM V2 Corsair (3 min 18 sec)
Aros is online now Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:31 PM
Vermilion, OH
Joined Aug 2010
870 Posts
I bet the prop hit the cowl
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:36 PM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
YUP Prop exploded...blades went every where and hit the drop tanks, and the hatch cover which in turn came off , flew backwards, and hit the rudder ripping it off then with very little holding the horizontal stab ...it eventually came off
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:38 PM
You haz hurricane?
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Jun 2012
1,235 Posts
Just curious, but is FMS currently selling this? I went to FMS's website and they dont list the corsair at all under the 1700 scale size and I see that BH doesnt even have it on their site. I know it was sold at one time, but was it discontinued?

Coot
Coot83 is offline Find More Posts by Coot83
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:39 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,262 Posts
Good night, you're right.

Wayne said the same thing. I cannot believe it was the props but indeed it appears to be the case. Now I KNOW for a FACT that I had the props fully secured to the hub. This would be an incident not unlike my P-47 crash where the cowl pushed forward and destroyed the props...Luckily I was able to make an emergency landing with that one...This one, not so lucky.

This may need to involve FMS.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:41 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,340 Posts
Man that was crazy the way it exploded on the vid. Dont know how you got her back together

Are you balancing your prop blades, plate and spinner before you fly? After seeing this crash which looks like prop loss or contact and the P47 incident, im thinking that some imbalancing could be the cause. Ive had to balance my P51 blades a few times during the coarse of having her and it makes a diffence. However if it did break off like the P47 blade was thought to have then theres an issue with these blades, although there hasnt been too many incidents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder77 View Post
I bet the prop hit the cowl
My thoughts exactly
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:43 PM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Good night, you're right.

Wayne said the same thing. I cannot believe it was the props but indeed it appears to be the case. Now I KNOW for a FACT that I had the props fully secured to the hub. This would be an incident not unlike my P-47 crash where the cowl pushed forward and destroyed the props...Luckily I was able to make an emergency landing with that one...This one, not so lucky.

This may need to involve FMS.
Yes I agree they definately need to know about this and see this one...that was definately a prop and Hub failure in the worst way.

That is going to have to be corrected ASAP!!! that is a saftey issue
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:45 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,262 Posts
I don't balance 4-blades (I don't even know how to be honest) but I have never had to in the past. I always check for proper rotation and the props were spinning perfectly. No wobble at all. However, I did note that the props were VERY close to the front of the cowl.

I think we have found our answer.

There needs to be more clearance between the prop swing and the front of the cowl. Both the P-47 and F4U have become victims to this issue. I will be contacting FMS about this. Something needs to be done here.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:46 PM
Vermilion, OH
Joined Aug 2010
870 Posts
Todd make sure to hollow that Engine Cowl out a little bit. When I got my P-47 the spinner was actually rubbing up against the engine. It forced me to hollow out and make the center opening bigger.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:49 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,262 Posts
Indeed...There needs to be a change in the manufacturing. This isn't the kind of mod that should be done at home. This needs to be done before the planes are shipped.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
I just forwarded this to the AMA....FMS needs to rectify this issue and problem PDQ and Right Now!!!...

Then they need to send Todd a complete new Airplane....

That was not your fault todd

My P-47 is grounded till this is fixed

If that had happened on the ground...People would have likely been Hurt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Oct 07, 2012 at 09:58 PM.