HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:51 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie View Post
Looks worse than it is. It was built in 1995 and has probably had hundreds of flight.
The black is doped on Modelspan heavy then fuel proofed.
Gossie, wha'd'ya mean "looks worse than it is"... I think it looks very nice (OK, apart from the spinner!).
Recently, you posted a photo of yourself (I think), launching a Playboy Senior. Was it this plane?
The photo interested me because I can only fly RC and hand launch in the fields close to our house, and I've always considered that the "hand launch" excluded bigger than "medium" size models, so that photo changed my ideas a bit...
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Running the PAW 19RC TBR diesel
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:26 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
927 Posts
It's possible hand launch a 80'' Playboy, either with an assistant or on your own i've done both.
ColinNZ is offline Find More Posts by ColinNZ
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:36 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Gossie, wha'd'ya mean "looks worse than it is"... I think it looks very nice (OK, apart from the spinner!).
Recently, you posted a photo of yourself (I think), launching a Playboy Senior. Was it this plane?
The photo interested me because I can only fly RC and hand launch in the fields close to our house, and I've always considered that the "hand launch" excluded bigger than "medium" size models, so that photo changed my ideas a bit...
Hand launch is no problem with it. That pic of me launching was a couple of years ago at our Nats.
Just hold it at about 60 degrees and push it away does the trick.

I sometimes flick start, but sticking it in the electric finger makes it a bit easier.
With flicking you need to turn it around to launch, and being big you need to take care not to get things all wrong. In particular if it's windy.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:16 AM
Birthplace of Aviation
Joined Jul 2003
1,626 Posts
Quote:
...I've always considered that the "hand launch" excluded bigger than "medium" size models...
Here is a picture of me hand launching my friend Robert Cosse's Taurus back around 1966. It had an Enya 60 engine which started my love for the Enya's.
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Last edited by JMP_blackfoot; Nov 16, 2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:45 AM
Bill Mohrbacher, MECA Fox Guy
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
602 Posts
Handlaunching a Taurus! Wow; skilled pilot and skilled launcher! Planes were lighter loaded than now and the Enya 60 didn't hurt, but still, a symmetric airfoil pattern ship. When it was new did your friend test glide it in tall grass?
G WILLIE is offline Find More Posts by G WILLIE
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:46 AM
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,358 Posts
Sorry but we missed what may be an important point.
All the above gentlemen are either launching a FF model alone, or launching someone else's RC model...
What I want to do is hand launch RC on my own... i.e. model in one hand and Tx in the other...
I guess it would need a really strong gripping point (for one hand) on the fuselage...
I remember my late friend Don Blackburn telling me "There's no take-off run, you let go and they leap off the ground"!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:58 PM
Saint Denis France
Joined Apr 2002
193 Posts
Quote:
Sorry but we missed what may be an important point.
All the above gentlemen are either launching a FF model alone, or launching someone else's RC model...
What I want to do is hand launch RC on my own... i.e. model in one hand and Tx in the other...
I guess it would need a really strong gripping point (for one hand) on the fuselage...
I remember my late friend Don Blackburn telling me "There's no take-off run, you let go and they leap off the ground"!
Brian,

No problem with the Wedgy, no problem with the Bince, no so easy with the Mimi

Bernard
Dereudre Bernar is offline Find More Posts by Dereudre Bernar
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:42 PM
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,358 Posts
Bernard,
Sorry, we're off topic anyway, but you missed the earlier posts. I was discussing hand launching large power models, 2m wingspan and more, typically with an early 10cc engine (Ohlsson or Super Cyclone). I've been wondering whether these can be reasonably hand launched with just one hand (transmitter in the other hand). In my fields I don't have any reasonable take-off surface.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:16 PM
Bill Mohrbacher, MECA Fox Guy
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
602 Posts
I've done a lot of hand launching of RCs. The whole start of my flying RC in 1958 was handlaunching, but planes were usually 50" or so span. They were modestly powered, a typical ship would be a rudder only Midwest Esquire, 50" WS, fox 15 baffle swinging a 10 31/2" prop; no vertical performance there. My latest is gliders with power pods, 110"WS with Tee Dee .09 and such. A nice lauch with the ship parallel to the ground or slightly nose up. If you try and throw these low powered things up and at angle, I think yoou are inviting a stall, quickley follwed by a snap into the ground.

The plane may descend a bit or just fly level, but let it go until it bilds some speed then ease it up. Don't yank back on the sick or make turns until you are really flying. You shouldn't need any input from the xmitter until you can get both ahnds on it if then.

You should have a clear path in the air ahead of you so the model has a chance to gain airspeed before you need to turn.
I think your biggest problen with a 2 meter ship is keeping the wings level when you launch it. Little gusts fron a slight crosswind can really make it challenging to keep the wings level.
G WILLIE is offline Find More Posts by G WILLIE
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:28 PM
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,358 Posts
Bill, I don't know whether you realized it or not, but J-M's Taurus launching photo was taken in France. If you look, there's a Renault 4L car in the background, like mine, except that mine's a van.
I'm sure no self-respecting French modeler would see anything unusual in hand launching a Taurus!
I nearly always hand launch also. What I'm really looking for is a good means of getting some of my favorite unthrottled .60s into the air (Ohlsson front induction or the Microns), or the Fox Combat Specials or RatRace engines.
I guess the only way is to try it and see.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined Oct 2007
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I have a number of test reports on Enyas here although not the exact models you're looking for.

If anyone has engine tests that aren't in the list (glow or diesel) they'd be willing to scan for me then I'll add them. Some engines are listed 2 or more times but that's because of different magazines and it's interesting to read what different reviewers have to say about the same engine.
Thanks you so much Downunder
Your website is great, as are the reviews that are in it
Carlo
stg61abc is offline Find More Posts by stg61abc
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:29 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,337 Posts
R.u.m.

Remember my request for a Cox TD 09 plastic front housing ? Still have'nt found it !!! It is to replace the one on this engine that has a crack at the carb.
I guess not many of you have seen this R.U.M. engine. Made by Akira Fujimoro, it is a composite G-Mark cylinder and front end Cox TD with home machined case&rear cover. The letters RUM and 06 are cut from tiny slices of aluminium. Now do'nt ask me what RUM stands for because I do'nt know. Now, there must be SOMEONE in this world that does have a new 09 Cox front part ??????
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:57 AM
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Now, there must be SOMEONE in this world that does have a new 09 Cox front part ??????
Reggie, I think it's doubtful. The only new TD09 front housing likely to be around will be on a new engine...
The obvious problem is that all Cox metal parts were machined, and so can be reproduced, but the plastic parts need tooling... for what sales volume???
Not only that, but the plastic front housing is the most fragile part of the engine, which means that you'll find engines with good metal bits, and broken plastic, but not the reverse.
I think your only reasonable hope is to buy a TD09 on eBay...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:41 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,855 Posts
I remember that someone in the past had made a metal front housing for .049 and up Cox engines. One could always make a metal front housing. I guess the metal ones weren't too popular though, probably due to cost mostly.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:55 AM
Birthplace of Aviation
Joined Jul 2003
1,626 Posts
http://coxengines.ca/cox-.09-carburetor-body-black.html
But Reginald wants a plastic one
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot