HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:10 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
In case anyone needs to do as I did and buy a replacement prop nut for their Bixler (without replacing the entire prop mount), the thread is M4 and standard M4 nuts with a 5/32" washer seem to work pretty well in static tests.
twodogsmick is offline Find More Posts by twodogsmick
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:02 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
I always wonder how high the motor can be mounted before it starts to push the nose down with more force than the natural lift it was designed for. Maybe I am being too cautious but I just don't like the motor being that high with a big angle.

If I am wrong please tell me. Thanks
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Nov 2011
18 Posts
Bixler Standard Motor Query

Hi there! About a year ago I bought an rtf Bixler. Apart from a loose canopy magnet and a loose control horn , it worked very well . However the brushless motor makes a fair bit of noise compaired to the Skysurfer 780 which comes with a brushed motor . Question : Are brushless motors always much noisier than brushed motors, or is this only the case with the standard Bixler motor? Thank you,Gerhard 807gt.
807gt is offline Find More Posts by 807gt
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:38 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
I always wonder how high the motor can be mounted before it starts to push the nose down with more force than the natural lift it was designed for. Maybe I am being too cautious but I just don't like the motor being that high with a big angle.

On this mount one screw hole up u dont really need to change the angle just one or two elev clicks. the higher one you have to angle entire mount ( which looks dumb LOL) or shim with washers so you get the shaft pointing as close as possible to CG
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Disco gimbal
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined Nov 2011
18 Posts
Hello everybody! I have recently bought a Skysurfer 780 from HK . It arived safely and complete . Among other things , the package contained a cute little balanced charger ."Nine Eagles NE-C912". Input is 12 volts , output current 600 mA , suitable for 2 cell lipos . Checking HK's chargers for sale, I could not find it. Does anybody know the part number , as I would like to buy 2 of them? Thanks in advance, Gerhard 807gt
807gt is offline Find More Posts by 807gt
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:17 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 807gt View Post
Hi there! About a year ago I bought an rtf Bixler. Apart from a loose canopy magnet and a loose control horn , it worked very well . However the brushless motor makes a fair bit of noise compaired to the Skysurfer 780 which comes with a brushed motor . Question : Are brushless motors always much noisier than brushed motors, or is this only the case with the standard Bixler motor? Thank you,Gerhard 807gt.
No. There is very little, if any, difference between the two types of motors. The big difference comes into play when comparing a pusher vs tractor configuration. Then, the pusher configuration is almost always louder.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:22 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Charger 4 U

Quote:
Hello everybody! I have recently bought a Skysurfer 780 from HK . It arived safely and complete . Among other things , the package contained a cute little balanced charger ."Nine Eagles NE-C912". Input is 12 volts , output current 600 mA , suitable for 2 cell lipos . Checking HK's chargers for sale, I could not find it. Does anybody know the part number , as I would like to buy 2 of them? Thanks in advance, Gerhard 807gt
I suggest that you do not waste any of your $$'s on a puny charger. HERE is the best all around and cost effective charger (IMO) that I know of. Then, you can use it on many LiPo configurations.
AJ
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:25 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Motor stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherbini View Post
Hey All,

Just ordered a SkySurfer from RMRC and the outrunner pod from smallpartscnc. I'm going to load it up with FPV and autopilot/telemetry, etc...

My trusty easystar lost the rudder servo in flight and absolutely augered into the ground from 100ft.

I have the 2200kv inrunner from HK that was in the ez, a 850kv outrunner from a quad, and the 1200kv Ritewing OEM motor from my ZII that had a good life and quick death.

I'd like to know if the ritewing motor swinging an 8x6 or so would just be too much for a loaded down SkySurfer? I think the 850kv would be a bit of a slug, but the 2200kv inrunner worked OK in the loaded down ez using a 6x4. I was using a 3s 2600mah lipo in the ez, and planned on using a similar battery in the SS.

I appreciate your opinions!
The only motor that will work with your stock configuration is your 2835-2200 in-runner OR get that motor mount that 2500GENE suggested.
AJ
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:34 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,889 Posts
What AJ said is spot on. The 2835 inrunner is the same size as a stock brushed motor and it simply slides right in. You can use Plumbers Goop to glue it in and hot glue to position it (few dabs) while the Plumbers Goop cures overnight. Very easy installation.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:35 PM
Joined Aug 2009
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Yep, that's the mount I have. Would that 1200kv ritewing with an 8x6 be a reasonable place to start? Sounds like one hole up?

cherbini is offline Find More Posts by cherbini
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:37 AM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
The charger that AJ suggested is great for the batteries you have since you can just plug the balance connector into it. Nice and simple. But if you expect to get into larger batteries with more than 4 cells, or want more function, you might look at the Accucel 6. Same price, will charge up to 6S Lipo batteries or up to 15 cell NiCd/Ni-Mh (but who uses them today?). Among other things it can charge to a storage level which is handy at the end of the season. It is basically identical to one of the four chargers in the 'Quatro' chargers that are sold under a number of labels. The Accucel > http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html

I've got one, it works great, but it is more complicated to use and requires more wires to connect the battery so if you don't need the extra capabilities you are probably better off with AJ's suggestion.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:11 PM
Joined Oct 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post

The COG is in a different place to the COL (center of lift) The COL is just behind the COG and so without the tail the plane would nose dive. That is why the horizontal stabilizer has a slight negative angle to counter this . The down thrust on a motor obviously only comes into use as you throttle up. It stops the plane from pitching up when you gain airspeed. I don't know what would happen if the angle was too high, probably would cause the plane to pitch down as you throttle up. The Bixler doesn't have too much down thrust though and the motor is not too high. I have not received mine yet but have flown a club mates one a few times.
I think I got that right if not please correct me
GLOW POWER is offline Find More Posts by GLOW POWER
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:30 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherbini View Post
Yep, that's the mount I have. Would that 1200kv ritewing with an 8x6 be a reasonable place to start? Sounds like one hole up?

I was using 3530 1100KV and I felt it was under power. Now I'm running with 1700KV with 8x6 and happy. Not a lot of noise and has enough power to get up and glide down. Flight time with 2700mAh is about 1/2 hour.
ccsj is online now Find More Posts by ccsj
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:27 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW POWER View Post
The COG is in a different place to the COL (center of lift) The COL is just behind the COG and so without the tail the plane would nose dive. That is why the horizontal stabilizer has a slight negative angle to counter this . The down thrust on a motor obviously only comes into use as you throttle up. It stops the plane from pitching up when you gain airspeed. I don't know what would happen if the angle was too high, probably would cause the plane to pitch down as you throttle up. The Bixler doesn't have too much down thrust though and the motor is not too high. I have not received mine yet but have flown a club mates one a few times.
Thank you Sir, that was really good. I'm new to much of this but this gives me a clear understanding of these things.

"What the World needs is a new simplicity not a new complexity"
- Albert Einstein

DJ
Sculptor is online now Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:28 PM
The only R/C pilot in the city
Kazakhstan, West Kazakhstan Province, Aksay
Joined Sep 2012
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW POWER View Post
The COG is in a different place to the COL (center of lift) The COL is just behind the COG and so without the tail the plane would nose dive.
I'm not an expert in aerodynamics but I think you right on first statement and wrong or partially right on second.

Many years flying in flight simulators I went thru painting, scenery and aircraft modelling, tuning of aerodynamics and writing gauges. I got some knowledge from that hobby.

COL (center of lift) is fixed for particular airfoil and you cannot change it's location without replacing the wings. But you can change location of center of gravity by moving of weight distribution in aircraft. This is why in real aviation they calculate the map of passenger and baggage distribution between cabin and cargo sections and in R/C aviation we moving batteries or adding a ballast.

So, the second statement could be as right as wrong. This is why in docs or forums for Bixler or SkySurfer CoG published as 61mm. Just to be sure that this aircraft will remain as glider.
Scorpio9999 is offline Find More Posts by Scorpio9999