HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2013, 02:07 AM
Joined Oct 2013
8 Posts
Discussion
My S107G won't charge after battery replacement

G'day all,
I recently upgraded my S107's battery into a 380mah 3.7v battery. Wires are connected in properly and it still flies. But it doesn't charge both ways. Anybody experience the same problem as I does?
ldtheoson is offline Find More Posts by ldtheoson
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2013, 04:43 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,687 Posts
Considering the stock battery is 150mAh, 380mAh is a huge step up and a lot of extra weight for the S107 to carry. I probably won't do it that way. But anyway, I'm curious about how you installed the battery (wiring and location). Did you put the battery under the skid? Did you directly solder the battery leads to the PCB? How then are you charging the battery, directly using a charger? Or through the helicopter? How are you handling the Overcharge Protection? What do you mean by "but it doesn't charge both ways"? What both ways did you mean?
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Oct 13, 2013, 07:28 AM
Joined Oct 2013
8 Posts
I cut of both wire from the old battery, then using wire strippers, strip each ends of the wires n solder it to the new battery. I did the same to the new battery. My first attempt to charge it was with the IR controller itself but since it doesn't work, I used the USB charger.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 09:43 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,687 Posts
Warning. Stop.

I need to stop you right there, because unless I am mistaken, you have created quite a dangerous situation. If you are still charging your battery, stop it.

I don't know where you obtained the 380mAh battery, but more likely than not, it doesn't have a Over-Charge Protection (OCP) circuit built in. You just simply spliced it into the old battery leads, directly connected to the PCB. Charging it this way, the system has no idea when to stop charging and it could keep charging until it blows! So, until you know more about these Lipo, I need you to stop what you are doing.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 09:52 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,687 Posts
Now, please share with me where you get the 380mAh, and please post a picture of it. Please tell me that it has not puffed up.

In theory, if you've done what you described, charging should work. However, it could take quite a long time, about 2.5 to 3 hours to charge. But then since your system has no way to tell when the battery is full, it will keep charging the battery as if it is not full.

If your battery is not puffed. Please disconnect it and test its voltage. A full Lipo is 4.2v. It should not be any higher.

Each Lipo charging system has to have a voltage sensing circuit, whether it is built into the battery, like your stock battery was, or it is built into the charger. Most 380mAh that I have come across do not have this OCP circuit, and neither does you IR control or USB charging cable. If you must switch the battery, you must also transplant the OCP circuit. Otherwise, use a smart charger to charge the battery separately, and do not use the old charging method.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 05:32 AM
Joined Oct 2013
8 Posts
Changed back to the 150 mah but still doesn't charge

Hi, thank you for your comment. I switched back to the original 150mah but still didn't work. Charger light didn't shut down as it should..
Old Oct 14, 2013, 01:53 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,687 Posts
Your 380mAh looks okay from this picture. Please be careful not to short those battery terminals together. Be sure to insulate the wire splices.

Now as to why it doesn't charge, or charge but the light doesn't shut down... I need a refresher on S107 charging, because it has been a while since I work with stock setup. IIRC, USB light goes ON when first plug into USB port with no load on the other end. Then after making sure that the helicopter is OFF, connect the charging cable and the USB light goes OFF. Light comes ON at the end of the charging cycle. Is that your understanding?

So, when you said that the light won't shut down, at what stage was it not shutting down? When you connect the load?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 03:58 AM
Joined Oct 2013
8 Posts
That's an affirmative. It does turn on when I connect it to the USB port but, when I connect the other end to my helicopter, it doesn't switch off as it should. Any idea what I did wrong?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:16 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,687 Posts
There are more than one possibilities. First, make sure that the helicopter is turned off. Otherwise, the USB light would not turn off. Secondly, the battery could be in the fully charged state. Thirdly, the battery's internal resistance might be too high, and unable to accept a charge. Could you please verify that the helicopter is off? And could you test the current voltage of the battery? If you try to fly the helicopter, does it fly?
Old Oct 18, 2013, 05:59 AM
Joined Oct 2013
8 Posts
Hi there.. I just tested the battery using a multimeter... The results showed sth quite near to 3.7V (3.6V during first test and 3.5V on the second) and yes, I always had my helicopter switched off during charging.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:18 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,687 Posts
3.7v is the nominal voltage of an 1S Lipo. At 3.5v, it is near the LVC (Low Voltage Cut-off), which is set to about 3.4 - 3.45v for the S107G. In other words, the battery is almost at the drained position. Charging isn't occurring in your situation. Otherwise, after a charge cycle, the battery should show 4.2v.

Keep the multimeter attached to the battery and connect up the charging cable. I suspect that if the light doesn't go out, the voltage reading isn't climbing either. Otherwise, when charging commence, you should see the reading climb quite rapidly at first.

Since you've tried charging it both ways, using the IR Tx and the USB cable. I doubt that it is the source. So, something is wrong at the helicopter end, I suppose.

When you turn ON the helicopter, do you see LED lights lit up? If not, then you battery is disconnect from the PCB. If they do, then we have a bigger problem. The PCB is messed up. Just checking, the ON/OFF switch does work, (not stuck at close), right? So that you could turn the lights ON/OFF?