SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 07, 2013, 06:29 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT View Post
But I really like the idea of sliding off the pod and having all the gear right there out in the open to work on.
You can do that with a lost foam pod too with a radio gear crutch. I don't have a model at my current location to take a picture of to show this though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT View Post
How do you make the "flange" that the hatch sits on? Is that even possible on a lost foam pod, or do you just cut the hatch then tape it back on?
First you cut a hatch out with an exacto. Then cut out strips of thin G10 or thin plywood and glue to the inside of the pod to make a flange.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2013, 08:37 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,228 Posts
Thanks Ryan....getting a good education here This is going to be fun, when I finally get going. Still a few items to gather.

I forgot to order mylar. Is there a poor-man's substitute or should I bite the bullet and place another order?

Did I mention I want to try your 2-piece wing? Not on the first one though!
JimZinVT is offline Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Last edited by JimZinVT; Oct 07, 2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2013, 09:47 PM
let's FLY!
Joined Dec 2007
2,228 Posts
How about epoxy fillers/additives? What should I have on hand? glass microspheres get mentioned a lot. anything else....cabosil, milled glass fiber?

Where do you guys buy them? ACP carries virtually nothing. CST has the West Systems fillers plus a few of their own; prices are high. US Composites has a nice selection and nice prices (but their online ordering system is the most archaic I've seen....it may as well be a paper order form you tear out of the middle of their catalog :-)

Thanks once more!
Old Oct 07, 2013, 09:56 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,462 Posts
https://www.miapoxy.com/c-9-resin-fi...colorants.aspx
Wazmo is offline Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Oct 07, 2013, 10:08 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,218 Posts
I basically just use cabosil
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Oct 07, 2013, 10:20 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,462 Posts
Cabosil (fumed silica) is a thickener. It doesn't add anything structural to the epoxy. Cotton flock or milled glass fiber will make the epoxy stronger and less brittle. For high stress joints, like throwing pegs, I like to use milled glass and cabosil.
Wazmo is offline Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Oct 14, 2013, 09:11 PM
let's FLY!
Joined Dec 2007
2,228 Posts
Bagged my first tail yesterday It came out.....ok. Could have been lighter, could have been smoother. I posted some details over on the Composites Fabrication forum. Need some more practice before I try some wings. But I'm hooked!

How do you think this HM51 airfoil would work on a 40" (1m) span? I'm considering building an EPP/laminating film 40" for when friends say "hey can I try that?" The thicker wing ought to hold up better then the relatively thin AG04 I've been using on my XPS/lam.film wings.
Last edited by JimZinVT; Oct 15, 2013 at 12:30 AM. Reason: got the airfoil name wrong
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:45 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,237 Posts
The place that this foil suffers most is with low Reynolds numbers (ie: narrow chords and slow flight - two characteristics of mini DLGs). It flat out won't perform as well as the AG04. You'll find it won't launch as high and it won't penetrate as well. However, if all you're concerned about is how well it floats then you might be ok. It's possible that it can be built lighter because you won't need as big of spars to take the loads. With it being lighter it should still float well. Hard to say for sure without building one, though.
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:30 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,237 Posts
I found the source of my flutter. About 12" of outboard aileron hinge had cracked and gone unnoticed. I put some clear tape over the hinge all along that section and she's taken 100+ full power launches since without a single hint of flutter.

I'm averaging around 145-150 ft launches with this DLG now. That doesn't sound all that great, but you have to consider a few things: 1) the tail is about 2.5" shorter than your average tail, which will result in lower launches unless a larger fin is used, 2) The fuselage wasn't meant for this wing. I had to jerry rig it a little and still haven't potted the fuse to the wing, so there's about a 1/4" gap between the wing and the fuse near the leading edge, which is a ton of unnecessary drag. Also, the fuse was designed for a wing chord of 129mm, not 180mm, so the trailing edge of the wing extends 51mm beyond the wing saddle. The gap that creates is another source of a lot of drag.

I would expect that fixing these things would give me an additional 15-20ft of launch, getting me up to the 160-165 range. Still not a rockstar by any means, but enough to be competitive. It still has some of the most pleasant handling qualities of any DLG I've owned and floats well too. For the amount of effort it took to build I'd say I'm very pleased.

I haven't named this design yet. Any ideas?
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6