HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:00 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,276 Posts
Discussion
Maidening my first 50cc 3D airplane at a new club with shorter runway

recently completed building my electric-powered Aerobeez 87” Sbach 300. I’m running the Hacker Q80-8M motor on a 12S setup. The airplane is ready for maiden. I’m considering maidening the Sbach at a new flying club that opened up this year. A few of my buddies have already joined this club and I have flown there three times as a guest. Since this is my first 50cc sized airplane, I’m a little apprehensive to maiden the Sbach at this new club primarily because the runway is only 52 ft. x 325 ft. in size and is constructed of geotextile fabric. The two clubs in which I do most of my flying have grass runways that are 100 ft. x 550 ft. and 100 ft. x 700 ft., respectively. Obviously, the large grass runways are more forgiving, offer plenty of room for error and stop the airplanes rather quickly. However, this is not the case at the new club. You have to be much more precise on the approach and touchdown...and the runway is much harder and smoother, which means more distance required to stop the airplane. Also, I have yet to see anyone fly anything larger than a 60” airplane at the new field. Even a couple of my flying buddies who own 75” 30cc sized airplanes are afraid to fly these airplanes at the new field due to the shorter runway. I have flown three times at the new club…and due to the much shorter runway than what I am accustomed to, I only felt comfortable flying my Extreme Flight 60” Edge 540T the first two times I visited the new field. Obviously, I had no problem landing the 60” Edge, which can land in a very short distance and even shorter if you harrier land, which I am able to do. So, last Sunday, I flew once again at the new club, except this time, I brought along my 3DHS 72” Extra 330SC and mustered up enough guts to give it a try. Guess what?…no problems whatsoever. It was very calm at the new field and even with no headwind, I was able to land and stop the 72” Extra using approximately only 1/3 of the runway. I didn’t try a harrier landing, but the distance would have been even less. So, what do you guys think? Should I be OK maidening my 50cc sized Sbach at this new club? I’m thinking yes, but I want a little positive reinforcement…or if you don’t believe I should maiden at the new club, please state so. Thanks.
racin06 is online now Find More Posts by racin06
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:08 PM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
the fact that you are asking for positive reinforcement, or others thoughts tells me that you are not quite sure you want to maiden at this field.

Here's my suggestion. Don't do it.

If this is your first big plane, you are already going to be a bit nervous due to the sheer cost difference from what you were used to and the fact that all maidens tend to make us a bit more careful for the first flight.

Why compound that nervousness with having to nail a landing.

Additionally, you may need that extra runway length for an unforseen event during the maiden.

Go fly at the long grass runway for your first few flights.

when you get comfortable with the new plane, then go to the geotex fabric lined short runway and have a blast.

cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:30 PM
USA, FL, Stuart
Joined Jul 2009
2,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racin06 View Post
recently completed building my electric-powered Aerobeez 87” Sbach 300. I’m running the Hacker Q80-8M motor on a 12S setup. The airplane is ready for maiden. I’m considering maidening the Sbach at a new flying club that opened up this year. A few of my buddies have already joined this club and I have flown there three times as a guest. Since this is my first 50cc sized airplane, I’m a little apprehensive to maiden the Sbach at this new club primarily because the runway is only 52 ft. x 325 ft. in size and is constructed of geotextile fabric. The two clubs in which I do most of my flying have grass runways that are 100 ft. x 550 ft. and 100 ft. x 700 ft., respectively. Obviously, the large grass runways are more forgiving, offer plenty of room for error and stop the airplanes rather quickly. However, this is not the case at the new club. You have to be much more precise on the approach and touchdown...and the runway is much harder and smoother, which means more distance required to stop the airplane. Also, I have yet to see anyone fly anything larger than a 60” airplane at the new field. Even a couple of my flying buddies who own 75” 30cc sized airplanes are afraid to fly these airplanes at the new field due to the shorter runway. I have flown three times at the new club…and due to the much shorter runway than what I am accustomed to, I only felt comfortable flying my Extreme Flight 60” Edge 540T the first two times I visited the new field. Obviously, I had no problem landing the 60” Edge, which can land in a very short distance and even shorter if you harrier land, which I am able to do. So, last Sunday, I flew once again at the new club, except this time, I brought along my 3DHS 72” Extra 330SC and mustered up enough guts to give it a try. Guess what?…no problems whatsoever. It was very calm at the new field and even with no headwind, I was able to land and stop the 72” Extra using approximately only 1/3 of the runway. I didn’t try a harrier landing, but the distance would have been even less. So, what do you guys think? Should I be OK maidening my 50cc sized Sbach at this new club? I’m thinking yes, but I want a little positive reinforcement…or if you don’t believe I should maiden at the new club, please state so. Thanks.
if you are not comfortable dont.

As far as the size it also depends on the surroundings. 325 ft can be quite a bit as long as you dont have trees on approach that you have to get over first. One of my fields is about that size and has a good size treeline in the approach but i can easily land the 103 there.
starzen is offline Find More Posts by starzen
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:49 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racin06 View Post
I agree you should leave as much room for error and maiden flight complications as possible. It seems you can easily land the 50cc plane on the shorter runway, but if you don't feel 100% on it and you can maiden at another field, go to the other field. No use damaging a brand new airplane because the runway wasn't long enough. However, you have an electric setup in the SBach which means lower idle (zero if you choose) and a very low chance of having a propulsion failure (deadstick).

If you don't have any trees to get over on final approach, I think you should be fine, especially if you bring it in an harrier land it. I fly a 50cc electric at my field (500x75-100ft grass) with no problem whatsoever, and after touchdown it rolls for about 50 feet at most before I can turn it around or pull it into the taxiway. However my approach for a decent speed wheel landing is probably a good 500ft long final approach starting at under 100 feet. My feeling is you can do it, but if you're apprehensive about it, go ahead and fly the first day out at the fields you're familiar with that have longer runways, then bring it to the smaller field when you're ready.

Good luck! Happy Flying!

--Tom K.

P.S. If you go to my RCG blog (click below) and then go to my actual blog (there's a link there) there's videos of my 27% Electric Extra (hacker Q80-7M on 10S; 19lbs.) and you can watch them and judge the landing distance. Just double the roll out distance since I fly off a lush grass runway and not anything hard.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540