HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2011, 03:49 AM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,879 Posts
Discussion
Should we have an archive for build manuals?

Hey Groupies,
I was wondering if we should get an "archive" forum started for the purpose of collecting build manuals/instructions.
There seems to be a Lot of old timey stuff out there that would be fun/interesting to look at.
Or how about the great ole built out sailplane you scored but have no documentation on?
Or maybe you just plane (ha ha) lost the instructions?
I'm thinking a basic alpha index, Mfg. ; Aircraft Name.
There's bound to be some 'sort' of problem with this so let's hear what you have to say.
Skies.
Jay.
Moved from post 19...
Added the Aquila manual (in two parts) and a small article by Lee Renaud "Flying RC Airplanes".
Sailplane manual archive blog
Enjoy.
J.
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Last edited by AirBornOne; Feb 13, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:03 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,193 Posts
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Last edited by Thermaler; Nov 28, 2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:18 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,843 Posts
That's not a bad Idea.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:25 AM
cq cq de kr4is
USA, VA, virginia beach
Joined Jan 2011
277 Posts
with corasponding build threads/logs.
flexsphincter is offline Find More Posts by flexsphincter
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:51 AM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
I agree with Flex too. This could be huge.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:21 AM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,675 Posts
How about making the thread a sticky? Then anyone could post the build instructions, or/and a link to a build log. And anyone searching for something could easily find it using the search feature.

One question, plans and such are copyrighted, are building instructions also? Is there a possibility of running afoul of copyright laws?
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:21 PM
can ya do that??...
California
Joined Jan 2004
528 Posts
better to beg forgiveness
electroboy is offline Find More Posts by electroboy
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:44 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,259 Posts
Great idea.

I think I have a few pounds left of instructions on planes equipment and gear. Most the others were lost years ago.
Don't know how much would be of applied value here, but I will take a look, just after I at remember where they might be.

I wouldn't think there would be a real problem with it.

"Let us take a moment, in silence, and pray this thread does not turn into a lengthily endless discussion on alleged intellectually property rights, Amen.
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:04 AM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,183 Posts
A sticky for plans would be good too.
If you look in the antique models forum, there is a thread for plans. A lot of old plans are no longer available from the manufacturers or the original magazines.
An example is the S&E Modeler/QuietFlyer magazines. In the February 2001 issue of S&E Modeler they had an article about a 2 meter glider called the Petrel. Those plans that were available from this publisher are no longer available.
For about four dollars, a plan can be scanned into a pdf file at your local blueprint print shop.
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:26 AM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,638 Posts
Please do not include any kit plans designed and owned by Sky Bench - Ray Hayes. Respect the woody kit mfg's now while their still in operation and can legally defend their rights.

Attorneys are expensive, yours and mine, but I will have the greatest motivation to spend the bucks.

Thanks

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:04 PM
cq cq de kr4is
USA, VA, virginia beach
Joined Jan 2011
277 Posts
"Let us take a moment, in silence, and pray this thread does not turn into a lengthily endless discussion on alleged intellectually property rights, Amen.[/QUOTE]

to late and i see rays point,,back to reality,,,a comprehensive, compolation
of build logs for given bird could be neat. and as manuals/plans are found not to be "owned" by another entity ,post em.
flexsphincter is offline Find More Posts by flexsphincter
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:18 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,259 Posts
Ray's request is very valid and wise.
I would not copy, transfer, sell or otherwise plans that are still within copyright protection. I personally do have plans copied for personal backup for plans, short kits or full kits that I legally purchased as allowed.

Yet, I do believe the main point of this thread was not for plans, but for building manuals that are very hard or impossible to get regardless.

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:28 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Hayes View Post
Please do not include any kit plans designed and owned by Sky Bench - Ray Hayes. Respect the woody kit mfg's now while their still in operation and can legally defend their rights.

Attorneys are expensive, yours and mine, but I will have the greatest motivation to spend the bucks.

Thanks

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
Indeed Ray,
There is no intention on my part to interfere with the ongoing business operations of anyone.Model airplanes or otherwise.
JC I think already noted my intent...
The collection & archiving of build manuals and instructions which prove to be otherwise unavailable.
I look around my collection of sailplanes & note that very few are 'current' product.
I have also responded to a few requests over this year and each time I am able to help someone along in enjoying,building,restoring an out of production sailplane;whether NIB or previously built, I think yeah baby!
So at this time I would ask everyone to refrain from posting plans-that's just too close to infringement for me to be comfortable with.
And at this time,even plans known to be in the public domain.
Ray,I would like to ask if you have the same feelings re: building instructions,manuals.And please elaborate if you would.
Thank you.
Skies.
Jay.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:40 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexsphincter View Post
with corasponding build threads/logs.
I like this too but I'm thinking primarily of an archive or library that could be searchable.
J
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:43 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electroboy View Post
better to beg forgiveness
...and still potentially requiring consequences? That doesn't interest me.
J.