SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:22 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Keep your eye on the servos, especially the rudder and elevator. My original Beast arrived in June was totally defective... I posted details couple pages back...

I was so excited when my replacement arrived and it flew like a dream So much so I immediately ordered the MiG

Unfortunately after only 5 flights on my Beast both the rudder and elevator servos went wacky. I thought I saved them by hosing them down with deoxit, but to no avail Beast #2 on it's way back to HH.

While I was on hold to return Beast #2, I was ground testing my MiG. Right out of the box the right aileron would stick in various positions. I asked the rep to ask their tech guys how they are cleaning the servos. Alcohol and pressurized air. So I tried that with absolutely no improvements. Had to call back the next day to return the MiG. I also ordered a Pole Cat to tide me over while I was waiting for Beast #2 (because they were back ordered). Pole Cat also defective was returned with Beast #2. All servos were doing their own thing... but only under power no throttle and they all worked fine...

My luck not so good... that's 4 aircraft since June... My only bright spot is at least I didn't order the GeeBee or CC when they came out... could have been more planes going back

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavDorro View Post
Received new Beast on Monday.
Due to work commitments had to leave it until last night to test. In fading light managed around 10 minutes flying. Flew really nice, no hint of servo probs! More testing this arvo..... Crossing fingers, Horizon may have fixed the servo jamming probs?

Love how this thing handles a little wind!! Giggling like a fool while hanging it on its tail and slowly spinning it round... dont think too many people were watching
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:52 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Yea - that's what I was afraid of. So it's the brick that's overheating then and not the motor right? I've got another brick I can try.
Yep... the brick. But do open up that airflow I described.

Also some (Nitro) has had luck mounting additional FETs piggy-backed onto the existing ones in parallel. It's pretty tiny work. I attempted a practice session last night and did pretty well. I have a soldering iron with a needle-like tip and temperature control. I needed reading glasses, Doc Brown magnifiers and the big magnifier mounted to my "third hand" soldering helper!

I haven't had time to do it for real today, but I think I'll be successful.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:24 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Thanks. I'll try that first and see what happens because that few minutes of 3a flying was magical!

Do you think a Blade 130x brick would work and if so would there be any advantage to it?
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:55 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,818 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. I'll try that first and see what happens because that few minutes of 3a flying was magical!

Do you think a Blade 130x brick would work and if so would there be any advantage to it?
No. It's got 3 servos mixed to do the job of aileron, elevator and collective. There really is no servo that's just the elevator nor just aileron. It's all a mixed in mess for the swash plate. And you'd have to mount it vertically. Interesting thought, though.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:13 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
OK... I was able to get my hands on a friend's 3s hyperion 180's with the JST connector on them. I already had a JST to UMX adapter so I used that to test out the Beast out on a 3s setup. I'm using the stock motor and stock prop. I was amazed for the first 20 seconds and then the motor cut out on me. I kept on testing and it continued to do this. And I was only at around 50% throttle. And when I say the motor cut out on me I mean it just completely shut off and the plane fell out of the sky. I still had servo control but absolutely no power. The motor didn't feel hot and if I waited a few seconds it would resume working.

Any clues? Is there something special I need to do?
Two things:
I just posted a review of RCBabbel's prototype 3S 320mAh pack!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=15325

I posted pictures Turnerm, It is the brick overheating. I added heatsinks to the FETs and the VR. It is easy to do and no soldering involved. completely solved the problems with cutouts on 3S. I opened up the front cowl under the motor to match the cutout they have over the motor. I also added a tiny scoop to the cooling hole the aileron servo wires go through. This directs air straight at the brick now. 3S WOT vertical climbs until it is a dot and no cutouts!

fyi: Mine was one of the hopeless ones that cut out at <50% throttle sometimes on 3S. What I found was the person assembling the plane was heavy handed on the white silicone that holds the brick in. It oozed around the side of the brick onto an even slightly on top of the far right ESC FET! This acts like a thermal blanket and over heats the ESC.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Last edited by kalmon; Sep 08, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:34 PM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro View Post
Keep your eye on the servos, especially the rudder and elevator. My original Beast arrived in June was totally defective... I posted details couple pages back...

I was so excited when my replacement arrived and it flew like a dream So much so I immediately ordered the MiG

Unfortunately after only 5 flights on my Beast both the rudder and elevator servos went wacky. I thought I saved them by hosing them down with deoxit, but to no avail Beast #2 on it's way back to HH.
That kinda sucks......
Flew another 3 batteries yesterday arvo. No problems at all....(now I've jinxed myself) I started with the UM's about 18 months ago....but have moved onto the bigger stuff. Although the Beast is kinda sucking me back to the smaller stuff again!
UM's are a bit more fragile and harder to keep flying (IMO).
Finding a nice field to fly them AND land them nice is a trick! Was practising landing on a cricket pitch with my UMT28... Hate the way the little wheels hit grass and instantly catapult the plane upside down.
GavDorro is offline Find More Posts by GavDorro
Last edited by GavDorro; Sep 09, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:36 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Two things:
I just posted a review of RCBabbel's prototype 3S 320mAh pack!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=15325

I posted pictures Turnerm, It is the brick overheating. I added heatsinks to the FETs and the VR. It is easy to do and no soldering involved. completely solved the problems with cutouts on 3S. I opened up the front cowl under the motor to match the cutout they have over the motor. I also added a tiny scoop to the cooling hole the aileron servo wires go through. This directs air straight at the brick now. 3S WOT vertical climbs until it is a dot and no cutouts!

fyi: Mine was one of the hopeless ones that cut out at <50% throttle sometimes on 3S. What I found was the person assembling the plane was heavy handed on the white silicone that holds the brick in. It oozed around the side of the brick onto an even slightly on top of the far right ESC FET! This acts like a thermal blanket and over heats the ESC.

-Brian
Can you link me to your pictures by chance?
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:54 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Can you link me to your pictures by chance?
Here is a couple links showing the Erkq's heatsinks, A bad glue job on a brick, and my cooling scoop. I don't have a shot of the cutout of the nose area, but once you take the prop off it is really obvious what I did. The top half has a 1/2 circle gap above the motor. All I did was cut the same gap below the motor.

-Brian
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:27 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,662 Posts
I use 3S BB240s in mine and I too had OTP problems.

All I have done is open up a foam hole around the motor. You can't even see it but it works a treat! No more mods and no more OTP

It sometimes cuts out when held still on a hot day but never while flying.
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:25 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
I removed my try and cut out the opening of the cowl a bit and that worked for one full battery but it cut out again on my second battery (about 5 minutes in between).

So I'll have to keep messing around with it to see what I can do.

Brian - what material did you make the scoop out of?
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Oct 2010
34 Posts
binding and throttle trim?

I just received my new Beast 3D and bound it to my DX6i transmitter. Per the manual, I set all of the trims to neutral before binding except for the throttle trim. I set that to the lowest trim setting (again per instruction manual). Everything seems fine except for the throttle. I get no throttle response until the stick is moved about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom. Is this normal with this plane or have I done something wrong?

Thanks, Kim
raggedclaws is offline Find More Posts by raggedclaws
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:42 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedclaws View Post
I just received my new Beast 3D and bound it to my DX6i transmitter. Per the manual, I set all of the trims to neutral before binding except for the throttle trim. I set that to the lowest trim setting (again per instruction manual). Everything seems fine except for the throttle. I get no throttle response until the stick is moved about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom. Is this normal with this plane or have I done something wrong?

Thanks, Kim
After binding:
1)unplug the plane
2)Power off the TX
3)Power on the TX
4)Move the Throttle trim back to middle (leave it here forever now)
5)plug in Plane
6)fly and have fun!

This should fix it.

Quote:
I removed my try and cut out the opening of the cowl a bit and that worked for one full battery but it cut out again on my second battery (about 5 minutes in between).

So I'll have to keep messing around with it to see what I can do.

Brian - what material did you make the scoop out of?
I just took an Xacto hobby knife to some clear plastic packaging that was laying around. It was for a pair of mini Ipod speakers originally. I found an area that was rounded and cut it out. Then I test fit it and cut the little recesses for the aileron servos.
If you can't find anything you could try one of the UM servo covers, just make sure you trim it! The are to big stock and would grab to much air probably resulting in some down pitching due to drag. I'd say to try the CC's silver covers as it would match the silver on the bottom of the wing.

-Brian
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:30 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,765 Posts
Spinners

Ground up a spinner on the runway, did a great repair with spackle, looked good but made plane wobble most likely because of the AS3X. New spinner and she flew like new.
Are spinners necessary or are the cosmetic? What do you guys think?
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:38 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
Ground up a spinner on the runway, did a great repair with spackle, looked good but made plane wobble most likely because of the AS3X. New spinner and she flew like new.
Are spinners necessary or are the cosmetic? What do you guys think?
Mike
You put the spinner out of balance when you repaired it. Spinners are purely cosmetic. You should see my Beast... it looks like it's been through a cheese grater. I fly it like I hate it though.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:58 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,633 Posts
Hey T man,

Do whatever it takes to get your B3D 3S power reliable.
It's worth it!

My 3SB3D has over 200 flights on her.
Stock motor/GWS 5030 prop.
No cooling mods of any type.
I rarely fly in temps over 80 which I'm sure helps to keep things cool.

It takes a ton of power to do the good stuff!!

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member