Closed Thread
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:08 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-turley View Post
When I bought a new laptop recently, I specifically ordered one with XP instead of W7, which I despise. I guess M$ must get their tribute by forcing PC users to move to a new OS every few years. XP support will end in 2014. Personally, I would have never left W2000 if support had continued for it.

Tony
I'm with you, Tony! My netbook is XP, got it before the rush to W7 which requires a big (well 160GB heheh) spinning hard drive instead of my SSD.

As for antivirus, free Avast works great and is compact
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:19 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
I too, downloaded AVI demux, and was able to play around with it a little.. I could apply filters and play what I think was the filtered video in the softwares display, but I could not for the life of me, figure out how to render it to a saved file to either post online or save it on the H.D. ?? Any help here would be appreciated. And how do you split clip and remove unwanted raw segments?

Thanks

Pat.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:33 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-turley View Post
When I bought a new laptop recently, I specifically ordered one with XP instead of W7, which I despise. I guess M$ must get their tribute by forcing PC users to move to a new OS every few years. XP support will end in 2014. Personally, I would have never left W2000 if support had continued for it.

Tony
Tony,

Once you figure out all its quirks of W7 (and I have not but am getting close) it is actually quite good. I totally avoided the Vista scourge on the machines I use although my last laptop was eligible for a free upgrade. I never took advantage of that free offer. However, my daughter's laptop was inflicted with Vista. That said, I am actually liking W7 64 bit but I am running it on a laptop powered by Intel I7 with 6 GB RAM, 1TB hard drive and a Radeon HD 5650 graphics card with 1024MB of DDR3. I like Windows Live Essentials. The W7 email program is excellent. The new Windows 7 Moviemaker is easy to use. This machine came with IE8. Now that's a case of taking a step backward with the next generation of a program.

Now back to the HD Key Chain Camera.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 02, 2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:52 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
aslo, avidemux will not recognize the codec for the audio on my #8 camera. Does anyone know a fix for this?

P.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:56 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
I too, downloaded AVI demux, and was able to play around with it a little.. I could apply filters and play what I think was the filtered video in the softwares display, but I could not for the life of me, figure out how to render it to a saved file to either post online or save it on the H.D. ?? Any help here would be appreciated. And how do you split clip and remove unwanted raw segments?

Thanks

Pat.
Pat,

Just click Save and it will prompt you.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:59 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
aslo, avidemux will not recognize the codec for the audio on my #8 camera. Does anyone know a fix for this?

P.
Good question. On the one HD video I loaded it kind of scrambled the audio.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:23 AM
Gloucester Ma
Joined Dec 2002
1,038 Posts
quick note on old VS new HDs

I recieved 3 more 808HD cams yesterday (purchased 12-17,shipped 12-19). My original was paid+ shipped 12-9 and I'm not going to touch that one.
The three new ones don't have any dark spots like my first, its too foggy and rainy out to do any tests for the vignetting in the sky, and maybe later I will try the date removal on one. However were are all ordered for friends so if I brick one I will have to pony up my own.
There is one difference however which might help identify the older ones. My old one is the only one with a round QC sticker on the side seam
A Monell is offline Find More Posts by A Monell
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:28 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Monell View Post
I recieved 3 more 808HD cams yesterday (purchased 12-17,shipped 12-19). My original was paid+ shipped 12-9 and I'm not going to touch that one.
The three new ones don't have any dark spots like my first, its too foggy and rainy out to do any tests for the vignetting in the sky, and maybe later I will try the date removal on one. However were are all ordered for friends so if I brick one I will have to pony up my own.
There is one difference however which might help identify the older ones. My old one is the only one with a round QC sticker on the side seam
Well, you can throw that hypothesis out. My 12-19 ordered HD camera I removed the date stamp from has the round QC sticker on the side seam.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:31 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Monell View Post
<<snip>>
Uhoh, mine has it also.

How about the guys who have been able to take the datestamp off? Do they have the QC sticker or not?

Yabba

You're too quick for my typing thumbs Bill. Thanks for the info.

Y.
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:37 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post
Uhoh, mine has it also.

How about the guys who have been able to take the datestamp off? Do they have the QC sticker or not?

Yabba

You're too quick for my typing thumbs Bill. Thanks for the info.

Y.
Yabba,

Likewise on your posts of really cool videos from your flying field.

I still picture a barrel or a large bin of HD keycams at the vendor where lot and batch control is not maintained.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:42 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Video Editing

Maybe the AviScripts and Avi Demux should have a link in post #4 Tom? At the rate this thread is going it's going to take over the Mega thread handle real quick and it is already starting to have some things repeated quite often.

Maybe some links would help a few of the guys out a little.

Just my two cents worth,

Yabba
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:44 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I still picture a barrel or a large bin of HD keycams at the vendor where lot and batch control is not maintained.

Bill

Yabba
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:53 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
If you REALLY want to try it, see post 12. Five easy steps!
NO ! Nonononono.

"Easy Steps"! This is Yabba you are talking to remember? There are no easy steps when Yabba is involved

Yabba
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:58 AM
Navigator
USA, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2010
670 Posts
About the audio codec, try installing VLC, and if its still not recognized install something like Combined community codec pack

On a side note, I use Windows 7 x64 on all my computers and like it a lot better than XP.
volto is offline Find More Posts by volto
Old Jan 02, 2011, 12:35 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Tom,

I just downloade the Win32 version. I processed a video. It did open with a warning about handling 264 codecs and it said it would use something else to process it with a warning. That said, it's another great program with another learning curve. Too bad I have to back to work Monday and progress will be slowed to learn it. I save it with average quality and played in Windows Media Player although it said it might not play, it did.

Thanks for the good work in finding this great piece of software.

Bill
I've just answered "No" to that first alert. I think the interface is a bit simpler to use than Vdub, but theres a few quirks to learn. It has input and output panes just like Vdub, but you have to toggle them on. I plan to have some tips for it's use in my reserved Post#4 when I get a chance. If you are re-encoding rather than just trimming and copying, I found that using the "2 pass-average bit rate" setting twill produce quality virtually identical to the original if you set the bit rate to 7000 kbps to match the camera native bit rate, and the two passes go pretty fast on my W7 box, especially if your CPU has multi-threading capability (set in tools/preferences).
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Closed Thread