HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2010, 08:31 AM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
Discussion
PING: GoPro HD Users

Which ones are you ordering....the naked or the others? Also - when you fly - I assume you are taking it out of the polycarb housing right?
Blue Chip is offline Find More Posts by Blue Chip
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2010, 08:57 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
alot of guys use the Gopro Hero HD.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Old Apr 24, 2010, 10:05 AM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
Go Pro Hero HD. Naked. I believe the only difference in all the HD cameras are the mounts and accessories they come with.
vertcnc is offline Find More Posts by vertcnc
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:07 AM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,367 Posts
I fly with mine in the housing, especially when at the beach.

I dont know if it will float but I do know that all my control rods are rusted on my sloper so I know theres salt spray in the air that I do not want on the camera.

I havent really experimented with it out of the housing yet, my results are to my liking that I might not give up the protection of the housing.

Pretty sure ALL the cameras are the same its just the accessories that differ like stated above.
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:49 AM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
Thanks - ordered one.

Are you all using it as the FPV camera as well? I was thinking about just mounting it on the plane for some HD recording... I want to use this for more than just flying / fpv-ing.

I know some on here just have it mounted. I'm wondering if the additional weight of the housing will make a difference.
Blue Chip is offline Find More Posts by Blue Chip
Old Apr 24, 2010, 12:02 PM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
I have the Gopro Hd mounted in the case, and use a second ccd camera for piloting. I know you can get video out, but didn't like some of the problems with the connectors that some were having.
The weight isn't an issue with my setup because the plane is a Heptad by Mike "Power" with an 80" wing span. I have an additional 10 oz of lead to balance CG.
I know some have said that the picture quality is better out of the case but I prefer the added protection the case provides.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 01:20 PM
houston
Joined Jun 2007
51 Posts
I too, have the HD WIDE version. While I dont have the setup for flying byFPV as of yet, it does a great job recording statically. With my being still new to flight in general (been doing it for two years or so...but I rarely get a chance to keep consitent/fly regularly) so I make a few mistakes on landing (and flying!) UNLESS you are profficient in flying, and not CRASHING (like me) keep the case ON! you would be AMAZED at the hits my GOPRO have taken, and its like a timex watch..(takes a lickin' keeps on tickin') I want to say with the case its a total weight of 3 oz.

While the polycarbonate external housing has a few dings, and scratches on the lens, the actual camera lens is untouched. sure glaring video issues come out with a scratched lens, but it still saves you from spending more money/waiting for replacement parts to the camera.(AND allows you to use the camera in other less potentially hostile environments without the case.)

Just for the record, the GOPRO does NOT FLOAT when in the housing. another "to let you know" subject.

If the GOPRO takes a HARD hit, the system will shut off. when you turn it on again, it will display "S.O.S" on the screen. in most cases the worst situation I have seen is that it will not have recorded the last 5, or10 seconds before the impact. it just becomes "lost". but the rest of the footage is there.
GAU-8 is offline Find More Posts by GAU-8
Last edited by GAU-8; Apr 24, 2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 01:47 PM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,627 Posts
hello Blue Chip

i always try to lower my airplane weight...
i'v ordered the SURF kit because i dont think i'l need the
helmet stuff...

housing add ~ 75g including the mount to the 95g camera !

i flew it one time without case... but i'm really concern about the
lens that is so easy to scratch the way its exposed, so i decided
to modify the case and alway fly with it:

So the result is 130g instead of 180g and i still have the lens protection
and both USB+composite port are accesible (i fly FPV with composite video
out)

composite output sample:
http://vimeo.com/11023107
ggtronic is offline Find More Posts by ggtronic
Last edited by ggtronic; Apr 24, 2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 06:18 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertcnc View Post
The weight isn't an issue with my setup because the plane is a Heptad by Mike "Power" with an 80" wing span. I have an additional 10 oz of lead to balance CG.
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Old Apr 24, 2010, 06:37 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAU-8 View Post
Just for the record, the GOPRO does NOT FLOAT when in the housing. another "to let you know" subject.

If the GOPRO takes a HARD hit, the system will shut off. when you turn it on again, it will display "S.O.S" on the screen. in most cases the worst situation I have seen is that it will not have recorded the last 5, or10 seconds before the impact. it just becomes "lost". but the rest of the footage is there.
Thanks for the clarification on floating although I hope to never test it out.

I also have mounted it on my 1/8 Buggy and it took one hell of a hit the other day and did not shut off. It basically landed on the camera from a height of about 6' and was enough force to remove the stick on mount.
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:06 PM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertcnc View Post
plane is a Heptad by Mike "Power" with an 80" wing span. I have an additional 10 oz of lead to balance CG.
i'm also amaized by Mike design but i decide to go with more "beefing up" to get
my bird more solid+crash proof instead of adding lead

adding extra dummy weight (iron...lead) to balance a plane is not so logic... we should use the appropriate
platform for the target payload (all Mike design are done within specifiq payload target ? )
ggtronic is offline Find More Posts by ggtronic
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:09 PM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
David,
Yup, About 10 oz of lead to balance CG. The plane is setup to handle a full size DSLR camera. With the light weight Gopro it needs a little help. I may swap some lead for larger batteries to add some additional air time.

Ggtronic,
Yes it is a great stable camera platform. I also beefed it up with some additional plywood along the top and bottom of the fuse. I also have the video transmitter on the tail. These additions may have created the need for the additional weight. If I knew I would be using the GoPro HD I probally would have adjusted by other means.
Last edited by vertcnc; Apr 24, 2010 at 11:17 PM.