SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 01, 2012, 12:03 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,243 Posts
Mike used the 3536 - 1400 with a 9x6 prop on both his DRXL and his Herc Pusher. This is the same motor Scott and another Mike used in their 72 minute flight. It has a lot of power, a great price and isn't much bigger than the 3530.

Lee
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 12:46 AM
columbus, ohio
Joined Aug 2010
20 Posts
This is a pic with the Cobra motor with a 3530 1700Kv... Its very small.......
jbmccoy205 is offline Find More Posts by jbmccoy205
Old May 01, 2012, 01:05 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Thanks for the pic. You're right, that is a bit small.

Thanks for all the input, everyone. So I think I'm going to try a 3536 1400kv with a 3000 or 3300 4S battery. ...now I just have to get the parts and build the thing.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old May 02, 2012, 03:30 PM
USA, KY, Letcher
Joined Feb 2005
30 Posts
I'm interested in getting a reaper to compliment my scythe. I have the power system from a crashed out stryker q. It's the 40 amp esc and BL park480 out-runner 2200kva. Will that work well with the reaper? or better suited to the assassin.
redrob is offline Find More Posts by redrob
Old May 02, 2012, 04:03 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
The 2200kv is going to be a lot noisier than the 3530 1700 motors we like to use on a Reaper.
it would probably work, I'd guess you'd need a smaller prop than we like to use (maybe a 6x4?)
Where do you fly? Is noise an issue?

There are several Reaper flyers that are actually going with a 3530 1400kv motor and using a larger prop. (like maybe a 9x4.7) and are really happy with the results.

What kind of flying do you intend to do?
If you are thinking about doing FPV you are probably gonna be happier with one of the bigger prop setups. For combat, I like the cheap 7x6 props on the 1700kv motor.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old May 02, 2012, 05:07 PM
USA, KY, Letcher
Joined Feb 2005
30 Posts
I only plan on normal flying. I like the bigger wings as they are easier to see and tend to float well. I have the 2200 sitting on the shelf and would be nice to put it to use. Noise is not an issue. I guess it's worth a try.
Old May 02, 2012, 05:16 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
BTW- I was born in the beautiful state of KY.
I spent a good portion of every summer there and almost every holiday all through my youthful years. I miss it dearly- maybe I'll retire there one of these days
Old May 02, 2012, 05:43 PM
USA, KY, Letcher
Joined Feb 2005
30 Posts
I agree it is a beautiful place. I live in the far eastern portion of the state and we have plenty on flat level areas to fly due to mining. I have a reclaimed mine 10 mins from home with about 3 square miles of flat grass on top of the mountains. No homes or property to worry about. Fly as far, fast, loud as you want and no one complains. If you crash the only thing to worry about is the plane it's self.
Old May 02, 2012, 05:49 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Sounds gorgeous. Post an in flight vid if you ever do such a thing.
Old May 02, 2012, 06:05 PM
USA, KY, Letcher
Joined Feb 2005
30 Posts
Will do. I have a couple slow sticks to take vids with.
Old May 02, 2012, 08:46 PM
New Beeeeee
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
1,097 Posts
Ok so here is the video of my reaper that i can't seem to balance out. It flys OK but it's takes alot of work. I dont know what to do with it. It's gonna have alot of holes in it.... To me it seems like the battery needs to go back more. Wings are not my thing i guess?

CTH Reaper HELP! (4 min 54 sec)
RUBNorris is offline Find More Posts by RUBNorris
Old May 02, 2012, 10:24 PM
Smoke me a Kipper
Cedar Grove North Carolina
Joined Oct 2006
1,214 Posts
I think you still need to add some weight back by the esc ....just a tiny bit

Go with a 9 X 6 E

Don't giver up yet
fritzdecat is offline Find More Posts by fritzdecat
Old May 02, 2012, 10:39 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBNorris View Post
Ok so here is the video of my reaper that i can't seem to balance out. It flys OK but it's takes alot of work. I dont know what to do with it. It's gonna have alot of holes in it.... To me it seems like the battery needs to go back more. Wings are not my thing i guess?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjDys...e_gdata_player
I wish I could come and fly it for you. Locally I trim in a lot of planes and usually a problem is something simple and correctable.

I have seen many things happen that make a plane fly strangely. Seeing that you are flying a Scythe the Reaper should be easier to fly so something has happened which would make me think there is a set up problem.

I have great confidence in the Reaper. If you look at the Swarm competition we just had most of the planes in the video are Reapers.

Here is the check list from the website for things to check.

http://crashtesthobby.com/articles/10-mistakes-to-avoid

Flyers I have helped have the following problems.

CG is not right. I frequently see planes that are tail heavy and many flyers mistake a stall for nose heavy. If the plane rolls or tip stalls instead of going flat and level to the ground it may be tail heavy not nose heavy. The Reaper can carry a large battery and camera and balance. This may be the problem.

Servos are too weak or reversed. I have seen a dozen planes this year with up and down or elevons reversed. This happens to even experienced flyers.

I have seen planes with linkage problems that under any type of stress are flexing or servos moving especially under compression. If the right signal isn't getting to the elevons the plane can't fly. This most frequently happens if the pushrod is from the tip of the servo arm to the horn on the elevon and there isn't enough leverage.

I see you have not used the standard elevons and this is OK but they have to have the right amount of movement or it will stall the wing before it even gets up to speed. We use bigger elevons on our planes because they have less drag. Because the elevons are bigger they don't have to move as much to get the same effect on the wing. If they move too much they will stall the wing and make the plane seem out of balance. If they don't move enough you don't have the time to get the plane under control before it is on the ground.

I have seen props on backwards and weak batteries that are not giving enough power.

I have seen many flyers who are having trouble launching the bigger plane.

I hope this helps. I know the plane design is a great design.

Lee
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old May 02, 2012, 11:03 PM
Smoke me a Kipper
Cedar Grove North Carolina
Joined Oct 2006
1,214 Posts
Exhaust every option

Because the one thing you can do with this plane is hammer it into the ground and try again til you get it right

Show me another plane that can do that ...
fritzdecat is offline Find More Posts by fritzdecat
Old May 02, 2012, 11:20 PM
United States, MD, Chesapeake Beach
Joined Jan 2011
403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBNorris View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjDys...e_gdata_player
Just my 2, it looks to me like it'd be tail-heavy. My setup is very similar to yours, except my batteries are definitely further forward. Even with my GoPro attached to the nose, I'd typically have my lipos (2 x 1500mah or 1 x 4000mah) closer to the front. Of course if it noses down under glide, moving the batteries forward would probably make that worse... And I totally contradict what fritzedcat said earlier, hehe
fnffishcore is offline Find More Posts by fnffishcore