Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 03, 2014, 05:13 PM
Canada, ON, Wingham
Joined Jun 2014
9 Posts
Discussion
Corsair Advice

Hi guys!!
Been flying a few years now starting with a SIG Senorita, then moving to a Super Chipmunk which recently met it's demise in a mid-air collision with a suicidal pigeon. I would consider myself an intermediate flyer. Takeoffs fine, flying comfortable, and landings pretty good although they still make me sweat as that's where most of my oops have happened.

Since Chipmunk now toast, thinking of moving into warbirds and wanting to go electric instead of glow. Really like F4U's and P51D's. After some checking around and investigating price vs features I've tentatively settled on 3 F4U's I would like some input on, especially landing

Airtech 800mm F4U - $109 RTF, looks good, inexpensive batteries, lots of addons with drop tanks and rockets, great price. Worried about small size requiring hot landings

Durafly 1100mm F4U - $143 PNF. Nice scale look, inexpensive batteries, retracts, lights, flaps, addons. Flaps help much? Seems a lot of bang for buck

Dynam 1270mm F4U - $171 RTF. Nice scale look, pricier batteries, retracts, lights, no addons. Nice big, light plane should make for gentle manners?

Only reason I throw Airtech in is because of price (10% off makes $99), colorful paint scheme, and bang for buck. Seems small, and possibly a little twitchy?

Thanks guys. All input, especially from anyone who owns one of these is greatly appreciated
VCAL1964 is offline Find More Posts by VCAL1964
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2014, 05:41 PM
United States, IA, Ida Grove
Joined Feb 2008
283 Posts
I had the Art Tech Corsair and really enjoyed it. It was very well behaved. Mine was made of eps foam that isn't as durable as epo. I have the durafly and it is a great flier. I've had zero issues out of the box. If you get the durafly, order a couple of spare props as the stock ones are brittle and break if you have a nose over landing. I can't speak for the dynam, but if it's like the other 1200mm warbirds you can't go wrong with it. I have the spitfire and love it. Good luck!
rleed is offline Find More Posts by rleed
Old Jun 03, 2014, 07:06 PM
United States, WA, Mukilteo
Joined Apr 2013
870 Posts
I think the 800 mm planes need to fly fast (for their size) to stay up and stable. I've found 1100mm planes to be pretty nice in their flight envelopes. Put a flight stabilizer in it and it'll be super awesome.
Suko is online now Find More Posts by Suko
Old Jun 03, 2014, 08:00 PM
Canada, ON, Wingham
Joined Jun 2014
9 Posts
Oops, forgot to mention that I was already planning in putting an airplane gyro in whichever I chose.
Old Jun 03, 2014, 08:56 PM
United States, MN, Stillwater
Joined Jan 2011
174 Posts
Out of those three, I would pick the durafly Corsair. It is very scale, and has the most features. In addition, It is an excellent flier, I have had mine for over a year with no issues.
F106DeltaDart is online now Find More Posts by F106DeltaDart
Old Jun 03, 2014, 09:37 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,166 Posts
At 900mm wingspan the GWS EPO Corsair is real hard to beat. The kits cost $35 and is very easy to build. You can build them to be whatever you desire, slow flier or silly fast. As far as landing speed goes the GWS Corsair slows down to a crawl for nice belly landings. Built for slow park flying it will be in the 19 to 21 ounce range and if built for speed and power mine weigh up to 46 ounces and still land slow. Here is a video of a GWS Corsair built for slow park fooling around and a video of a 1200 watt pylon racer. The park slow flier cost around $70 all up minus radio and the pylon racer cost around $150 minus radio. If its not obvious I have a thing for GWS Corsairs.
GWS Corsair soccer goal landing (1 min 46 sec)

GWS Corsair EF-1 Racing Motor (4 min 30 sec)
semperfi1970 is offline Find More Posts by semperfi1970
Old Jun 05, 2014, 08:15 AM
Canada, ON, Wingham
Joined Jun 2014
9 Posts
Well I decided to drop the Airfield 800mm from the decision making, focusing on the Durafly and Dynam models.

I love the scale, the extras, and especially the flaps that are on the Durafly, But I like the extra size and what appeared to be slower landings on youtube of the Dynam.

I've built several models for guys in my area, so adding flaps, drop tanks, and rockets may be option in future for Dynam?

After pricing out both of them with 3 batteries, 3 spare props, charger, and a radio for Durafly, the difference in price is only $6 between both with Dura being less so price isn't factor.

So I guess a deciding factor may be availability of parts, and general ease of obtaining. Especially in Canada. I know SNHobbies in BC carries Dynam, but don't know about Durafly. Any Canadian Durafly outlets?
Last edited by VCAL1964; Jun 05, 2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old Jun 05, 2014, 09:46 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
6,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCAL1964 View Post
Any Canadian Durafly outlets?
i thought the US/Canada HK warehouse would be the one. no?
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jun 05, 2014, 11:16 AM
Canada, ON, Wingham
Joined Jun 2014
9 Posts
Yes, likely are, but if shipping is from US instead of Can, wait time, brokerage fees, and taxes can add up making for expensive parts and much aggrravation
Old Jun 05, 2014, 12:39 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,914 Posts
They do ship from Washington State.
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old Jun 07, 2014, 01:28 AM
Canada, ON, Wingham
Joined Jun 2014
9 Posts
Well I decided on the Dynam 1270mm Corsair. Found a few reviews that mentioned that the Durafly almost needed the flaps to land well as it came in a little hot if they weren't deployed.

Deciding whether to get the ARF version and pick up a FlySky FS-T6 Digital 6 channel radio, or grab the RTF version and save $25.

Does anybody know what radio comes with the Dynam RTF's?
The ad says it comes with Dynam's own radio, but it doesn't say how many channels, and the only picture of the TX is a 4 channel Dynam which I'm hoping can't be right.

Also. Does anyone know if a receiver pack can replace the x8 AA's in the FS-T6? If so, which pack might it be?

Thanks for the answers guys. It helped a lot
Last edited by VCAL1964; Jun 07, 2014 at 01:52 AM.
Old Jun 09, 2014, 06:00 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,166 Posts
I would go with the FlySky 6 channel as the stock radio is ok at best. The stock radio will be a 5 channel with a expo knob. You will be much further ahead by buying the FLYSky. The 6 channel is what I fly many of my models on and I love it.
semperfi1970 is offline Find More Posts by semperfi1970
Old Jun 09, 2014, 06:13 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,023 Posts
There's also the Flyzone Select Scale 48.5" Corsair that's a hoot to fly. With the Orange 3Axis Stabilizer added it's even better! And if you set it down in a 10mph headwind you don't really need flaps...
matiac is online now Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:15 PM
Canada, ON, Wingham
Joined Jun 2014
9 Posts
Well, I finally quit thinking and started ordering.

I picked up the Dynam ARF Corsair, three spare props, and 3 blade adapters from Graysons. The plane was on sale, the discount code took off $10, and shipping a LOT cheaper than NP. Great deal at $177 shipped I thought.

To round out the kit I went to HK and picked up :

Three 2700mah 4s 25c LiPo's http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=24625
Turnigy 9X Radio http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=43905
HobbyKing balance charger http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=34111
LiPo Radio battery http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=17825
OrangeRx Gyro http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=52413

This changing from nitro to electric takes a bit to start. Were the "extras" I picked up for the Corsair good choices, or is there some better options?
I wanted to keep the cost to a minimum, but also get decent equipment tha twon't let me down or disappoint me. And that I can grow with a while.

Now I just have to wait for the UPS man