Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 29, 2014, 02:59 AM
Joined May 2014
2 Posts
Discussion
Acquiring a Plane and Sport / Private Pilot License?

I am looking for more information on becoming a sport pilot/private pilot VFR and IFR (I have checked most all websites and could use some firsthand advice). Also I am wondering what the cost of a first plane would be along with maintenance, storage, fuel, operation etc. what would this entail at a minimal cost level and of course, still remain completely safe.
What I have in mind is becoming sport certified and acquiring a LSA aircraft similar to an older Ercoupe, Piper or Taylorcraft etc. while progressing into a private pilot license at my cost rate and eventually upgrading to a 4 seat plane. I have limited knowledge on this and am just trying to gather some information to determine if it can be done on an average budget. Are the aforementioned aircrafts practical or antiques? What is a minimal but practical budget for such an undertaking?
Any general guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

wellyZ is offline Find More Posts by wellyZ
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2014, 03:35 AM
United States, IL, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2013
317 Posts
First what is your location? And second not to sound like a D head usualy if you have to ask how much you probably can't afford it. Maintanence cost alone is gunna be about 10000 usd a year on an average minimum.
Gregertman is offline Find More Posts by Gregertman
Old May 30, 2014, 01:30 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2013
611 Posts
Why are you asking this on a RC forum?
Seattlehiker is online now Find More Posts by Seattlehiker
Old May 30, 2014, 02:32 PM
Hey y'all!!! Watch this!!!
United States, VA, Gloucester
Joined Jul 2007
341 Posts
The questions you are asking is showing your lack of knowledge on the subject. This could be due to youth, inexperience, or ignorance. An average budget in the USA today is not enough to consider owning an airplane. Back in the 80's, planes were affordable. You could buy lots of planes for 20k that were in very good condition and were 4 place IFR equipped. Now, the game has changed. I'd say you would need an expendable amount of cash in the neighborhood of 20k a year to even consider owning a plane, no matter what size or how old.

Lots of us on this forum are former pilots or wish we could afford to be pilots. The lucky ones are able to do both.
Eddge is offline Find More Posts by Eddge
Old Jun 04, 2014, 03:41 PM
Ft Lauderdale
Joined Sep 2012
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyZ View Post
I am looking for more information on becoming a sport pilot/private pilot VFR and IFR (I have checked most all websites and could use some firsthand advice). Also I am wondering what the cost of a first plane would be along with maintenance, storage, fuel, operation etc. what would this entail at a minimal cost level and of course, still remain completely safe.
What I have in mind is becoming sport certified and acquiring a LSA aircraft similar to an older Ercoupe, Piper or Taylorcraft etc. while progressing into a private pilot license at my cost rate and eventually upgrading to a 4 seat plane. I have limited knowledge on this and am just trying to gather some information to determine if it can be done on an average budget. Are the aforementioned aircrafts practical or antiques? What is a minimal but practical budget for such an undertaking?
Any general guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Hey, at least 'research' is free! Well, pretty much.
Everything else about flying your own plane today is
expen$ive.

Oh, flying is never completely safe as you said. Just
adding to your research here.

Before you buy a plane or two you should get your SEL fixed wing license
as a starting point. But, before spending a penny on your training you
will need to pass a flight physical....if you can't pass you will never
get off the ground. Eye and blood pressure issues ground many.

So. One step at a time.

Find a local pilot training school and talk to them
about pricing and all other questions since they are
up to date. Maybe schedule an introductory flight
with an instructor...take the controls for a while.
Ummm...not for free though, they charge.

No need for IFR if you just want to bore holes in the sky
with a rental plane on a nice Sunday afternoon.... getting
your required 3 take offs and landings every 3 months to stay current.

Ya... your research will show that being a hobby pilot is
expensive and buying your own plane for hobby flying
is tight budget suicide.

If you are not a military pilot or commercial pilot (via the military)
getting paid to fly... it all comes out of your pocket.

Small pockets... consider a flying club to get a price break on rentals.
I flew 172s, Citabrias and a Super Decathlon that I could
never afford to buy and maintain myself.

Hey, good luck on your research.

Number_6 is online now Find More Posts by Number_6
Last edited by Number_6; Jun 05, 2014 at 06:17 PM. Reason: sp.
Old Jun 05, 2014, 07:10 AM
Joined Jun 2014
2 Posts
good,Lots of us on this forum are former pilots or wish we could afford to be pilots. The lucky ones are able to do both. thanks
jimcaseaves is offline Find More Posts by jimcaseaves
Old Jun 05, 2014, 07:24 AM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
Canada, ON
Joined Oct 2010
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregertman View Post
First what is your location? And second not to sound like a D head usualy if you have to ask how much you probably can't afford it. Maintanence cost alone is gunna be about 10000 usd a year on an average minimum.
$10,000 a year?

I'm sorry, you are either mistaken or I would like to be your mechanic !

RF
Red Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Red Flyer
Old Jun 06, 2014, 09:51 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregertman View Post
Did you perhaps hit the zero key one too many times? Ten grand is a lot if he is talking about a run of the mill single engine general aviation airplane.

When my 2 brothers and I owned our Aeronca Champ (1972 to 2003) in the final years it cost us around $900/year for hull and liability insurance, $95/month for hanger rent, and our annual inspection, if we could find an AI who would let us help, ran just under another $1000. So there is about $3,000/yr fixed costs.

We each put $20 a week in to the kitty ( 3x $20 = $60/wk) so that pretty much covered expenses. Whenever anybody flew it they always filled the tank when done so you paid for your own flying gas.

Maybe things have changed a lot since 2003, and I could see how a high end, high performance single could run you out of ten grand a year. So, after thinking about it, you might be on the money (ha!) with that gestimate.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Jun 15, 2014, 12:05 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,694 Posts
Just flying a lightplane may seem like great fun but there is a lot more to it than flying an RC model. Learning all of the basic procedures for communicating with towers, preflight checklists, flight planning, etc. etc. takes money, time and effort. You can get a good taste of what's involved if you have access to Microsoft X Flight Simulator on a PC.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged