HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:14 PM
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
Discussion
"Watts New"

Have now got this model well underway. It started as something to fill my time, not that I did not have anything else to do have 2 new models to assemble.

It has a fuselage based on the Watts Up but there any similarity ceases with a more attractive wing plan form, plus it is much bigger at 3.8 metre span.
I wanted to try and build something to match the current moulded models, or get as near as I could. Wing is all sheet covered, and uses carbon spars on the centre section 1.2 mm thick, with the sheet going over the spars to give clean section. Tips use 1/16 ply spars with carbon web between spars like the Watts Up
The wing as built weighs in at 686 grams but will go up a bit with finishing but pleased with it so far, Fuselage and tail weigh 330 grams, so want to aim for 1.7-1.8 kilo all up, we will see.

A few pictures attached for interest
Essex BOF is offline Find More Posts by Essex BOF
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2014, 06:21 PM
Sweden, Stockholm County, Sollentuna
Joined Aug 2010
211 Posts
I look forward to follow your build - I learn a lot by studying what master builders like you have done.

Could you tell us a little bit more about this girl (is a plane a 'she' like boats?)? In the first picture I see neither spoiler, nor ailerons. Am I not looking hard enough, are you going to add them later, or will she be a 'pure' rudder-elevator glider?

/Stefan
SBS_Pilot is online now Find More Posts by SBS_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2014, 09:05 PM
volare est vivere
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Jan 2005
1,999 Posts
hi there from Toledo

From the name I presume an Epowered fuselage ala the Watts Up. I saw no provision for spoilers nor flaps, so some territory will be needed for landings. Looking forward to more info and photos and of course a maiden flight report.

ciao -rjf
ray foley is offline Find More Posts by ray foley
Old Feb 22, 2014, 05:16 AM
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBS_Pilot View Post
I look forward to follow your build - I learn a lot by studying what master builders like you have done.

Could you tell us a little bit more about this girl (is a plane a 'she' like boats?)? In the first picture I see neither spoiler, nor ailerons. Am I not looking hard enough, are you going to add them later, or will she be a 'pure' rudder-elevator glider?

/Stefan
The flaps & ailerons are yet to be cut out from the wing sections. This is how I have done them in the past, which seems to work out ok, so the model is a 4 servo wing. After cutting out the control surfaces, I rebate the ribs back & then insert a strip of 1/8" balsa using epoxy resin, using weights to maintain the hinge line.
The section is MH30 modded to 2.5% camber, as I find I can build these section reasonably accurately.
Power is to be a Hacker A20-6 4.4 gear box, which I have laying about, which are light. Fuselage has a downward curve built in to give some down thrust.
Old Mar 01, 2014, 11:33 AM
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
Some pictures of the fuselage front end
Old Mar 13, 2014, 03:50 AM
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
A few more pics. The wings have been glassed underneath, still have to do the top of the wings before cutting out the flaps & ailerons. Hatch now fitted and shaped. The cut outs in the tips are for the movable ends to the ailerons, in the tiplets
Old Mar 20, 2014, 06:52 AM
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
Ailerons cut free from wing tips, rebated to take TE
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:48 AM
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
Coming on now, wings glassed and horns mounted on flaps & ailerons, fuselage being painted.

Tail plane pylon mount now retained by hold down screws rather than glueing in place. Make for easier access to servo for the elevator & threading wire through for rudder servo.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 07:18 AM
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
Airframe now complete. Very satisfying when you get to this stage from a blank sheet of paper
Old Apr 22, 2014, 04:25 PM
Hampshire, England
Joined Aug 2002
465 Posts
Looks really beautiful. Did you meet your target weight?

Do you publish plans for your designs? Could be just what I'm looking for at a price I can afford

Cheers, martin
martinh is offline Find More Posts by martinh
Old Apr 23, 2014, 04:53 AM
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinh View Post
Looks really beautiful. Did you meet your target weight?

Do you publish plans for your designs? Could be just what I'm looking for at a price I can afford

Cheers, martin
Have not finished installing the radio gear as yet to find out if the target weight will be met. Suspect that it might creep over, we will see.

As to publishing the plans Martin, there is a lot of work in drawing up plans to a standard that is justified in selling them. I do sell some of them, but at the present time as the years fly by feel that I need to spend my life making the most of it.
As I have said before, I do these projects to occupy myself in the winter months.
Most recently I drew up the Fast Wing for the Watts Up, as people wanted it. You can find this on the Watts Up site.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 06:01 AM
United Kingdom, Ilford
Joined Mar 2013
40 Posts
That looks excellent. Where will you be flying it?
mart46 is offline Find More Posts by mart46
Old Apr 23, 2014, 07:24 AM
Hampshire, England
Joined Aug 2002
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex BOF View Post
...feel that I need to spend my life making the most of it.
Sounds like a good plan to me

Martin
martinh is offline Find More Posts by martinh
Old Apr 23, 2014, 09:00 AM
UK, Coventry
Joined Aug 2005
524 Posts
martinh
If you are looking for an esoarer to build you may want to look at this months Quiet & Electric Flight. It has a soarer called the 'Emulator' that may fit your needs.
http://gb.trapletshop.com/emulator-34
mhodgson is offline Find More Posts by mhodgson
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:12 AM
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mart46 View Post
That looks excellent. Where will you be flying it?
I fly at Rettendon or Chelmsford, Essex