HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: What style of Turnigy 1/16 vehicle do you prefer?
Rally Extreme 30 37.97%
Mini Trooper 27 34.18%
Racing Buggy 22 27.85%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 26, 2014, 06:42 PM
Joined Jun 2014
4 Posts
[QUOTE=azcrashjim;27726209]
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
I just found a direct fit diff locker kit

1/16 Brushless 4WD Mini Rally - Extreme Edition Locked Diff

Has anyone used this in the MT? It seems like a good alternative to getting the steel diff gears, with the benefit of equal power to both wheels. I think I would only put it in the rear. How much does it increase understeer?

jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
I always wanted to try them, but the diffs are weak already so im not sure how they would hold up to the extra strain if they were locked.

Best would be if they fitted on the steel diffs from GPM
i used it on a stock rally car with the orange rims for a few months with no issues.

it helped it understeer less but made it a little hairy when driving like a maniac.

then i put 1/10 scale wheels on it and was flying down a paved driveway that had sticks on it and one got tangled up in the rear dogbones and broke the plastic of the locker pieces where drive cups attach. luckily i have 2 drift kits so i had a spare.

i have the stock diff in now and adjusted the spring preload for less understeer.

Brian
reliant_turbo is offline Find More Posts by reliant_turbo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2014, 06:50 PM
Joined Jun 2014
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRC2 View Post
Hi Finguz,

The damper leaked trough the O'rings. I wrapped the teflon tape in the shaft, then pushed it with the O'rings.
Not so easy to explain, I made a little drawing in Acad.
my HK rear aluminum shocks leaked too upon arrival. i disassembled them and the o rings were so loose on the shaft and in the housing.

i had one of those harbor freight storehouse viton o-ring kits so i grabbed the smallest o ring that would fit on the shaft and touch the sides in the housing. then put the white washer back in and the clip and reassembled.

the o ring was a a006 2.90 x 1.78 size.

waiting on oil so i can try them but they do not leak for sure.

nice and smooth though after sitting 24hrs they have a touch of resistance when first compressed but then its smooth sailing after that.

Brian
reliant_turbo is offline Find More Posts by reliant_turbo
Old Jun 29, 2014, 08:08 AM
Italy, Veneto, SandrÓ
Joined Jun 2014
4 Posts
Here we go!

Well guys,after a week of holiday at the sea with the family we're back..
Make a pair of empty's LiPo at the park with more"badness"(specially in my 5yr son's hands) and the Minitrooper was pretty good,i only try to have more oversteer ?cos i prefer that instead the understeer but i'm thinking that are the tyres with poor grip a part of the problem so..how are your shock\steering settings?Have you noticed the understeer with stock setttings?
stef974 is offline Find More Posts by stef974
Old Jun 30, 2014, 09:03 AM
Argentina, BA, Gonnet
Joined Sep 2013
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef974 View Post
Well guys,after a week of holiday at the sea with the family we're back..
Make a pair of empty's LiPo at the park with more"badness"(specially in my 5yr son's hands) and the Minitrooper was pretty good,i only try to have more oversteer ?cos i prefer that instead the understeer but i'm thinking that are the tyres with poor grip a part of the problem so..how are your shock\steering settings?Have you noticed the understeer with stock setttings?
Try add preload (compress the spring) in the front dampers.
Even related to many variables, understeer is a nomal behavior in 4x4, I think.
DanielRC2 is online now Find More Posts by DanielRC2
Old Jun 30, 2014, 09:15 AM
Argentina, BA, Gonnet
Joined Sep 2013
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reliant_turbo View Post
my HK rear aluminum shocks leaked too upon arrival. i disassembled them and the o rings were so loose on the shaft and in the housing.

i had one of those harbor freight storehouse viton o-ring kits so i grabbed the smallest o ring that would fit on the shaft and touch the sides in the housing. then put the white washer back in and the clip and reassembled.

the o ring was a a006 2.90 x 1.78 size.

waiting on oil so i can try them but they do not leak for sure.

nice and smooth though after sitting 24hrs they have a touch of resistance when first compressed but then its smooth sailing after that.

Brian
Thanks, Brian.
I'm lazy and didn't replace the O'rings, yet.
DanielRC2 is online now Find More Posts by DanielRC2
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:14 PM
Joined Aug 2013
13 Posts
I have the extreme mini rally, and I want to know if there are a compatible motor that supports a 3s battery for about 15 minutes of continuous use (in a race)
Ive been burned 2 already.

Thanks!
rantoine is offline Find More Posts by rantoine
Old Jun 30, 2014, 03:05 PM
Great Britain
Joined Dec 2008
1,574 Posts
Seems like most of the spares are out of stock at hobby king at the moment, does anyone know of a suitable alternative to the ballstud 30809 ?

Thanks Ben
MrBen. is offline Find More Posts by MrBen.
Old Jul 01, 2014, 04:47 PM
Italy, Veneto, SandrÓ
Joined Jun 2014
4 Posts
Questions questions questions..

..Ok,i must think about something during the charge time of my LiPo's
So,if i want to replace the servo of the mini trooper..i have checked the HK list of microservos(if i'm correct the MiniTrooper use a 9g servo)and there's lot of models made by Turnigy and others so,i just can take a 9g servo with 1.6\1.7kg of torque and connect to the receiver?there's some difference between analog and digital?it just work in every case?Has anyone replaced only the servo or have to suggest some specific model?
Thanks guys,probably i don't need to replace it in short times(i hope)but i'm curious and i like to mod my little truck
Old Jul 02, 2014, 04:46 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef974 View Post
..Ok,i must think about something during the charge time of my LiPo's
So,if i want to replace the servo of the mini trooper..i have checked the HK list of microservos(if i'm correct the MiniTrooper use a 9g servo)and there's lot of models made by Turnigy and others so,i just can take a 9g servo with 1.6\1.7kg of torque and connect to the receiver?there's some difference between analog and digital?it just work in every case?Has anyone replaced only the servo or have to suggest some specific model?
Thanks guys,probably i don't need to replace it in short times(i hope)but i'm curious and i like to mod my little truck
The stock one is 15g.

There are a couple ValiantGLX listed here, under Electronics Upgrades:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...39&postcount=7

I use one of each suggested in my mini trooper & buggy. The Hitec has more torque, on 4.8v it's almost just as strong as the HK D-MG16 is on 6V... just going off the specs. I run mine both on 4.8v. On the other hand, the D-MG16 is a little faster, metal geared, and is digital. Both work pretty good, I haven't had any problems with either, even running off the stock BEC. And both are a drop in replacement, requiring no mods.

Though any similar size/spec servo will work too.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Jul 04, 2014, 12:18 AM
Italy, Veneto, SandrÓ
Joined Jun 2014
4 Posts
Many thanks Finguz!
I'll chek one of these
Old Jul 05, 2014, 07:30 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantoine View Post
I have the extreme mini rally, and I want to know if there are a compatible motor that supports a 3s battery for about 15 minutes of continuous use (in a race)
Ive been burned 2 already.

Thanks!
I was racing like that on the stock motor, but only on asphalt. Also it was pretty cold at the time and I had a cooling fan that also ran on 3s

I'd be inclined to try one of those Mamba 0808s 4pole motors if you are serious about this thing.
valiantGLX is online now Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Jul 07, 2014, 03:13 AM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reliant_turbo View Post
holy cow, i just finished reading the entire thread.... no, not in one sitting....

i have the mini rally. on my second set of stock tires. still mostly stock other than the aluminum shocks in the front. the stock plastic ones limited travel too much.

i have the 20mm fan\heatsink from the toyz as well. it helps.

i have lots of stuff on order. aluminum knuckles front and rear and aluminum front c things and steering servo saver/rack and hitech servo.

got some new shock oil coming too and 50000 wt diff oil.

3racing inferno wheels and tires too and aluminum hex adapters. one of the stock ones is stripped a little so i layed two layers of toilet paper over the wheel hub, soaked it in CA and pressed the hex adapter into it. its not coming off now.

fun little car. i want the sct now and some more speed. ;-)

Brian
The 3racing wheels inner diameter was too small IMO. The white ones I got would rub the Eclips & lower arms, arms especially bad when you compressed the shocks at all. Also, some of the tire nubs were falling off after the first run, though it may have been because I ran it on asphalt instead of offroad. Otherwise I'd buy a set of the spike ones, just because they are cool (and cheap). I thought about getting some & gluing them to the stock turnigy rims.

I'm still yet to find a decent tire/wheel. Granted I haven't looked much, I've just been running the stock buggy/minitrooper/buggy tires. We might have to adapt to a 12mm hex for more options.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz