HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2014, 06:55 AM
Waterford, ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
200 Posts
Mark, good to see you have parts coming in for your build- I'm looking forward to following your progress. Are you planning to mould the new intakes then fit them to the fuse or do them in place?
Shane, you're sure getting along. Did you decide to install rudders? Apparently Hornets roll considerably with rudder input- I tried the other day to mix in some opposite aileron with rudder but no luck as it doesn't seem possible with 2 ail. channels and just one rudder ch. (DX8)- don't know.
Still haven't flown mine yet- the proverbial slow boat from China hasn't delivered the batteries or connectors I need . 42 days so far- getting ready to file a complaint with PayPal. Anyway...
In the meantime, I decided the all flying stabs needed beefing up at the pivots so made up and bonded in these aluminum brackets- better now. The full size has vents (for?) back there on the fuse and I had wanted to do the same (to vent any pressurizing air in the fuse) so was able to incorporate 'em at the same time.
Tom
pogoed is online now Find More Posts by pogoed
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2014, 01:53 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
4,954 Posts
Tom, A prudent thing to do on the stabs, not the place to have a failure.

Quote:
Are you planning to mould the new intakes then fit them to the fuse or do them in place?
I'll mould them. I've been staring at this fuse for days (intake area), knowing
what I want to do, and how to go about it, just need to figure out in what order it all needs to be done...

Lots of planning and measuring still needs to be done.

To an extent it's a bit of reverse engineering. -- Take a foam pusher, hand launch, belly lander jet, and modify for EDF and retracts.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jul 06, 2014, 05:23 PM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Jun 2011
292 Posts
Tom. I had the same issue with HK. Did you chose scs express shipping or express shipping? If so you need to contact them as they will need you to pay an aditional fee for them to release it to you. Bit of a scam job if you ask me. Mine is all but ready for the maiden flight. Ive no pics at the moment and well she doesn't look like much as the paint And decals need finished. But the weather man says its all go. So maybe tomorro. Yours is lookng great. The beefyer the better I say. Mine are locked in place. Heres hoping its good enough.
Shane Sunday is offline Find More Posts by Shane Sunday
Old Jul 06, 2014, 05:31 PM
Waterford, ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
200 Posts
Best of luck Shane- I'm sure she'll fly well!
Tom
Old Jul 06, 2014, 05:39 PM
Joined Dec 2008
4,954 Posts
Shane, I'm still courious as to what retract units you had??
Links?
TIA
Mark
Old Jul 07, 2014, 07:37 AM
Joined Jun 2011
292 Posts
Mark. Search product no 107000049. Those are them.

Maiden flight today. Be confident with this model set up as a pusher! The hand launching is difficult so I had someone else toss it for me. What a trooper. Her first throw ended badly and cracked the fuse a little. If you haven't glassed this model you really should it's what saved mine and the weight gain is neglible. Anyhow we got the toss down I was afraid of hitting her with the prop and she was afraid of ruining my plane... We got through it. A good firm toss at 30 degrees and she climbed out on a quarter throttle. A little down trim and some right aileron she was going great at health throttle hands off. I'm use to banking hard and letting the nose drop as I pull in elevator to bring her around. Not the way to enjoy this model.! I reall enjoyed a small juke left or right with a little elevator to bring her around gradually you are rewarded with scale jet like turns just looks fantastic. She floats in for smooth belly landings so no worries there. On medium rates she rolls incredibly honestly a great model. A 4000 mah 4s lipo sees at least 8 min flight times. At the moment I'm using a master airscrew 12x7 electric prop but would like an APC 11x8 or 9 to get more speed. You must have a big area to fly because she eats up the sky and you can see her forever. All jets should be this size at least. Just a wonderful model. Now to repair minor damages, upgrades and paint and she will be ready to rock.
Old Jul 07, 2014, 09:36 AM
Joined Dec 2008
4,954 Posts
Congrats on the maiden. I totally agree on size, I think that should the be size standard for all 90mm EDF's -even though yours is a pusher.

I'll spend some time and look up that number. That was for just the units-right, no struts?

OK, found them--- yours-- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arch=107000049

mine would be these- less struts. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...20_class_.html
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Jul 07, 2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2014, 12:10 PM
Crash-safe
Baar, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2006
242 Posts
Congrats Shane
As for the paint: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5065

Just check out the zip file, free to modify. Maybe you can use something
cheers
lessram
lessram is offline Find More Posts by lessram
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: F/A-18 Mk II
Old Jul 07, 2014, 12:59 PM
Joined Jun 2011
292 Posts
Lesram you sir are a super super help! Thank yo so much
Old Jul 07, 2014, 01:33 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,264 Posts
Congrats on the maiden, upload the pics when painted.
thedeuce is offline Find More Posts by thedeuce
Old Jul 07, 2014, 01:35 PM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
608 Posts
Congratulations on the maiden, any video by chance? I would love to see some. I am leaning toward building mine as a pusher, knowing how well yours flies on 4s is very helpful in deciding on a power set up.
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
Old Jul 07, 2014, 03:24 PM
Waterford, ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
200 Posts
Way to go Shane! (told ya ) You had a GIRL launch it? Well, that's ok I guess.
Just kidding. Looking forward to seeing the paint finished and some flight video.
Tom
Old Jul 08, 2014, 07:15 AM
Joined Jun 2011
292 Posts
Well I've just finished installing a hand hold on the balance point. Should be a lot easier for me to toss it myself. There were quite a few stress cracks that have been re glued. 3 nose dives from attempted hand launches put cracks in the strangest places. I've also installed a 3x10x7 prop. On 4s she wields 43amps and 656 watts. That will be 130 watts per pound on a 4.8 lbs model. More than enough to shift this. Although I would have liked to see what wattage I was pulling with the 12x7 prop.
Old Jul 08, 2014, 04:05 PM
Joined Dec 2008
4,954 Posts
I got my order from Yellow today-- spar sets and canopy. Didn't take to long, placed order on the 2nd, and with the 3-day weekend, not to bad.

About time to go over my component list again, and re calculate the weight!

Shane, numbers sound good.
Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Joined Jun 2011
292 Posts
Well it's going slowly but I will get there. The paint mask designs Lessram left are a huge help. Due to the fact that the shell is so soft I can't cut on it so a lot of the airbrush work is freehand or with hand held paint shields. It's just a longer process. Paint touch up, paint, touch up. At least I've good brushes for the job. Here's a few pics so far.