Old Oct 01, 2005, 09:38 PM
Find More Posts by Zero Six Sierra
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jun 2002
310 Posts
Aero-Works SU31 3D

Has anyone had any experience with this plane? I searched and didn't see any references. My LHS got two of these in today and I got to look at them. They appear to be extremely lightweight and of high quality. Just wondering if anyone has flown one and if so, how well did it do?

http://aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=252

SPECIFICATIONS
Wing Span 33"
Wing Area 348 Sq. In.
Length 31.5"
Weight 14 ounces (ready to fly)
Motor 370 to 400 Speed
Radio 4 Channels minimum

Charles
Zero Six Sierra is offline Find More Posts by Zero Six Sierra
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2006, 02:27 PM
Find More Posts by Howemd
United States, VA, Yorktown
Joined Sep 2005
376 Posts
I just ordered one myself, but cant seem to find any info here on the boards. Anyone able/want to jump in with thier experiences? Currently I'm thinking of droping in an Eflight 450 with CC25 ESC that is currently homeless.
Howemd is offline Find More Posts by Howemd
Old Jun 22, 2006, 02:54 PM
Find More Posts by carlosponti
Perpetual Hobbiest
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Nov 2005
151 Posts
a friend of mine has one they are awesome he let me and another friend take it on a flight. he said its rather tough after a couple of rough landings it still has the wire gear intact. well worth the money. he has an AXI motor on his. did well in a higher wind condition than what you would think as well.
carlosponti is offline Find More Posts by carlosponti
Old Jun 22, 2006, 03:51 PM
Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,364 Posts
Z.S.S.
I'll echo what has just been said. The Aeroworks Sukhoi is a great flying plane. What I like about it is that it flies like a much larger sport plane if you want it to, but is also a very capable 3Der as well. I also have tested it's durability a few times and was suprised at how well it withstood the abuse. Over 100 flights in the last three months and still going strong. In fact I put two flights on it this morning before work.
r/cdawg is online now Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Jun 22, 2006, 05:44 PM
Find More Posts by Mini Buzzard
Flyer of R/C Planes
USA, CA, Covina
Joined Dec 2004
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howemd
I just ordered one myself, but cant seem to find any info here on the boards. Anyone able/want to jump in with thier experiences? Currently I'm thinking of droping in an Eflight 450 with CC25 ESC that is currently homeless.
You might want to try a lighter motor than the 450. It would probably be OK, but I think this plane should come in at around 14oz with motor and battery. (Lighter is righter).
Mini Buzzard is offline Find More Posts by Mini Buzzard
Old Jun 22, 2006, 09:33 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,364 Posts
I'm running the Eflite Park 400/920 outrunner. More than enough power with a strong pullout from hover. 14.5 oz. with ProLite 1320's (which fit the battery cutout perfectly), Electron 6, HS-55's and an APC 10x4.7. Perfect combo.
dawg
Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:03 PM
Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,437 Posts
I can only echo the others thoughts on the Sukhoi. Very nice flying model. I'm flying it with a Hacker A20-20L and a TP 1320. I've also flown one with the AXI 2212-26, and like that setup as well. Definately give it a try...

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Jun 23, 2006, 08:39 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,364 Posts
It's suprising that this plane hasn't generated more interest in this forum. It falls in a very popular power range which allows for a large variety of reasonably priced motor/esc/lipo options.

For more info on the AW Sukhoi check out the review in Flyrc from a few months ago (can't remember which issue) submitted by Scott/sukhoi26mx. The review is very well done and very informative.
Old Jul 03, 2006, 12:31 AM
Find More Posts by jeff alvernaz
Hellraiser
Joined Jan 2006
17 Posts
I have one and out of all the the planes I have, it rates at the top! Flys very solid, can take alot of abuse, loves to hover, and a good looking plane! Anybody looking for a small electric needs to try this one. I know i've flown dam near all of them(HA HA).
jeff alvernaz is offline Find More Posts by jeff alvernaz
Old Jun 15, 2009, 02:32 PM
Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,668 Posts
Is any one still flying this plane? I killed my yak foamy today and I'm going to order one of these. I want something small to throw around at the park. my smallest plane is a 40" 3DHS edge.
I have a 160w rimfire, and 10amp esc I want to use. it should be fun. I know theay recommend a 1300mah pack but I usually use 600mah packs with small planes.
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Jun 26, 2009, 07:21 PM
Find More Posts by eldoubleu
United States, FL, Tarpon Springs
Joined Mar 2006
63 Posts
I just purchased the SU-31, haven't built it yet but I also purchased the Aeroworks Extra 260 EP-3D, which I have 6 flights on so far. If you check it out on Aeroworks web site youíll see itís similar in size and construction to the SU-31. And from what Iíve read about the great flying qualities of the SU I feel the same about the Extra. I have a foam profile Extra very close in size and shape to the Aeroworks Extra (Iím using the motor and ESC from the foamy on the new Extra) but thatís where the similarities end. After flying the Extra-260 Iíve decided to retire the foamy. I can fly the Aeroworks Extra around so slow hanging on the prop like any good foamy but you can also fly it like a pattern plane, it tracks really really good and itís balanced perfectly. Itís amazing for how light it is, it flies more like a larger plane.

I donít think you can go wrong purchasing the SU-31 or the Extra-260!

My Set-Up

Hacker A20-20L
Hacker X-20 ESC
4- Hitec HS-55 servos
ThunderPower 3-cell 1320 mah
Spektrum AR6000
eldoubleu is offline Find More Posts by eldoubleu
Last edited by eldoubleu; Jun 26, 2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 08:19 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,668 Posts
I did get the SU. I'm building it now. I have mostly larger 3DHS planes. I like the Extra 260, but I wanted a small plane, that would be good for hovering and 3D at small parks. It looks perfect I have a nice light set up I was useing on my yak Foamy. untill a blender ripped the wing of. I'll be useing a rimfire 160w motor, 10amp esc, and Rhino 600mah 3cells. It should be a lot of fun.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:16 AM
Find More Posts by Mini Buzzard
Flyer of R/C Planes
USA, CA, Covina
Joined Dec 2004
520 Posts
Sabre 35

This one looks similar in size (a little higher in price). Anyone flying this?

Sabre

Mini Buzzard is offline Find More Posts by Mini Buzzard
Old Jun 27, 2009, 11:59 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,668 Posts
Its a bit heavier, and bigger than the SU. It calls for a larger power set up also.

Its 3" longer, and 2" wider, and around 6oz heavier. The whole reason the SU is great is because its small, and light.

You can use 150w set up with the SU and still fly 3D. that one calls for a 250W set up.
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Jun 27, 2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 02:03 PM
myp
Find More Posts by myp
myp
Joined Oct 2007
1,103 Posts
After reading this thread, I checked out the Aeroworks Extra 260's manual. It looks like you can't move the battery very much. The manual says add weight to the front or back to change the CG. For the owners of the Extra or SU, has this been an issue? Also, how solid is the motor behind the fire-wall mount for occasional flip over or worse?
myp is offline Find More Posts by myp