Old Jul 19, 2016, 01:44 PM
Find More Posts by m4rc3l
Nederland, GE
Joined Jan 2010
159 Posts
Discussion
quadcopter add-on

I name this, Airlock the Yaw I-term set to zero. this removes the heading lock effect of the yaw axis, and should allow the fin to align the control axis to the airflow, like a airplane. as a mainly glider pilot i find multicopter control a bit confusing when it gets low and fast. although i just started. i am going to test if this works, and make more flying minutes with this, while additionally learning to coordinate turns and control. when i can coordinate, i can remove the fin, and fly without. hovering should essentially be the same, i can already hover for some time. testing soon at the local RC field
m4rc3l is offline Find More Posts by m4rc3l
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2016, 03:47 AM
Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Joined Apr 2006
5,812 Posts
do some learning in ZERO-wind (indoors best) and practice pirhuettes with yaw + power, THEN turn with it and fly it very slowly around you at shoulder level (protects face, simulated "low flt")-- in both directions, first just with yaw + power on left stick and fwd on rt.stick, then add bank w/ rt stick to yaw + power

forget aerodynamic "yaw rudder" ....
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:25 AM
Nederland, GE
Joined Jan 2010
159 Posts
yes i suppose it will be like sidewheels on a bike when learning; at first one rolls on the sidewheels heavily, later one can unload the sidewheels for ever more of the time, yet later the wheels form a hindrance, and one rather bikes without. however, i do expect a nice airplane feel to it, almost bank & yank so to say. and nice groovy wide spacious flying.

i did fly with considerable wind only, yet.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:55 AM
Joined Apr 2006
5,812 Posts
Once you have the moves then pick a target distance, race the quad towards it and hard reverse to not only stop but "bounce" back off an imaginary wall and come back tail first. Then the reverse, starting tail-first.

That's the warm-up for yank & bank, which will need more power and control over roll and yaw, 2 more axes.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 02:23 AM
Joined Apr 2006
5,812 Posts
this insight from another discussion should also prove useful >

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee View Post
As I sailplane pilot I was first taught to " fly by ear" and adjust speed according to sound, rather than the feeling on the stick, and I have to agree with Bruce, since models [so far] don't give us feedback stick feel pressure], and esp. on RC sailplanes [corresponding to RC throttle trim to allow/prevent total power cutoff], it was a very useful procedure to set and know what trim [on old Tx's] gave min sink and which max L/D. On fullsize sailplanes then it's still first sound [with instr. as backup].

Some further thought on "wild & crazy" nano quads ....which are significantly different from "normal" quads & RC helis, Mark, as a bee's or fly's power & control inputs are diff. from a fullsize Jumbo, due to Re and other physical differences:

when it enters a truly banked turn, being momentarily [and inadvertently] accelerated fwd as well as centripetally inward, the accelerometer-system thinks "down" is along a fwd and inwardly tilted vector, so it continues to apply "lift" force along that vector direction. And that means continued extra tangentially fwd acceleration as well as inward. And that means one needs to use backstick to correct the correction.

Again, with larger quads & RC helis, there are stronger aerodynamic [vs inertial] forces at work which tend to ease this effect .... and of course the action is slower and basically unnoticed I suspect [at least I never consciously noticed it].
Old Jul 23, 2016, 03:16 AM
Nederland, GE
Joined Jan 2010
159 Posts
ah thanks this afternoon i will fly/test/try it more. i will try to analyze what happens, i think this is indeed why it felt like it got very fast when i tried some curving and such.
interesting.

to me a quad, feels like driving a shopping kart with pivot wheels all around, with rocket thrusters for yaw, X, and Y acceleration. and then trying to go some route in some environment. feels like no tracking, almost like a kind of hovercraft. no air reference. very difficult and confusing to get the hang of

one does not fly the quad, one flies the flight controller gyro system, and it has more intricate effects apparently, of such mathematical grounds, than i would expect.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 07:56 AM
Nederland, GE
Joined Jan 2010
159 Posts
i can confirm this tailed quad works great flies very nice, when i go backward steeply accidentally it pivots the quad into the movement direction. the yaw always keeps working, and much like a airplane i need to apply some yaw into the curve. also i feel much less overwhelmed when it gets scary.

the yaw authority did seem to diminish, when i was (inadvertly) trying to unco÷rdinate movements.

also, xlcrlee, i made a mental note beforehand, to pitch up strongly in curves when the acceleration occurred, works well, tnx
Last edited by m4rc3l; Jul 23, 2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 09:27 AM
Joined Apr 2006
5,812 Posts
tilting gravity: which way is "down"....?

Years ago thanks to Einstein's famous elevator analogy I was quickly able to understand the exactly related physics of an Alpine skiing racing step-turn I was learning. The quad in a banked turn experiences the same, and if you were IN the quad, all would be easier to control by "feel".

In that racing step-turn one puts all one's force into pushing HARD on the uphill ski, all the while facing one's body forward and downhill. That leg-push force pushing one's body downhill against the uphill ski creates a fwd AND turning acceleration .... which is strong enough to effectively tilt the combined push + gravity/weight-force while the ski actually bends and turns in an arc in front of one's body just in time (if done correctly)

Unfortunately one has to be in great shape to do it, but that racing step turn going downhill FEELS like running on the moon with long steps ...
Old Jul 24, 2016, 03:09 PM
Nederland, GE
Joined Jan 2010
159 Posts
ok nice also reminds me of going down a ramp with a skateboard, but stands vertical to the earth , and not the skateboard. the skateboard will accelerate greatly

i'm going to keep this tail for a while. i have flown 3.5 batterycharge in total now, the quad flies and hovers very smooth. yaw responds and appears locked in while hovering (ofcourse it does want to turn into wind preferrably while stationary above ground). i land it as careful as a glider, as in very smooth, occasional mishap but not "crashing". no feeling of being overwhelmed anymore, enjoyable
Old Jul 24, 2016, 06:40 PM
Find More Posts by Pile It
Joined Feb 2014
319 Posts
Your new toy won't easily thermal, but it can dance and spiral. That requires neutrality around all 3 axes. And full 4-ch control.

You can progress to a smaller rudder and then finally remove the training wheel, saving it to help newbies if needed.

Or not
Pile It is offline Find More Posts by Pile It
Old Jul 25, 2016, 06:30 AM
Nederland, GE
Joined Jan 2010
159 Posts
yes i will eventually also fly without i'm sure, but in general i am less fond of freestyling, more fond of travelling/racing or duration, height, etc. as performance.
also it looks really cool in flight, sortof like some k-max utility copter ;p