Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Jul 04, 2016, 06:37 AM
Find More Posts by suzonka
Joined Sep 2013
62 Posts
Discussion
why cant my trim stop spinning in both directions

I have a Double Horse 9101 Helicopter . I cant stop it from spinning in either direction even though I set the trim perfect .
I checked the shaft hold down screws OK , checked gears OK, battery OK, transmitter new batteries OK. what could it be?
suzonka is offline Find More Posts by suzonka
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2016, 11:29 AM
Find More Posts by flyeraroo
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,550 Posts
Spinning in both directions sounds like a gyro issue.
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Jul 04, 2016, 03:41 PM
Joined Sep 2013
62 Posts
A gyro problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyeraroo View Post
Spinning in both directions sounds like a gyro issue.
WOW IF THAT'S THE CASE i DON'T SEE ANY ADJUSTMENT S ON IT UNLESS ITS UNDER HE LITTLE PC BOARD ,
ARE YOU FAMILIAR WITH THIS PROBLEM ON A 3 CHANNEL HELICOPTER COAXIAL TYPE ITS THE DOUBLE HORSE 9101
Old Jul 04, 2016, 06:47 PM
Find More Posts by krc59diesel
use mike while supplies last
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2013
458 Posts
did it do this from "out of the box" or is this a new problem?
krc59diesel is offline Find More Posts by krc59diesel
Old Jul 04, 2016, 07:27 PM
Joined Sep 2013
62 Posts
not out of the box problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by krc59diesel View Post
did it do this from "out of the box" or is this a new problem?
not out of the box problem
Old Jul 05, 2016, 03:35 PM
Find More Posts by bartj1234
Joined Apr 2015
127 Posts
You mentioned you checked gears which i presume checking for missing teeth on the main gears. How about possibility that the pinion gears on motors might be slipping?
bartj1234 is offline Find More Posts by bartj1234
Old Jul 05, 2016, 10:48 PM
Joined Sep 2013
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartj1234 View Post
You mentioned you checked gears which i presume checking for missing teeth on the main gears. How about possibility that the pinion gears on motors might be slipping?
ok i checked the pinion gears they are ok
Old Jul 06, 2016, 06:19 AM
Joined Apr 2015
127 Posts
Hmmm tough one. Lets circle back to gyro. Since it's not out of box problem, any chance shaft or blade may have got slightly bent out of shape causing excessive vibration. By excessive, vibration may appear acceptable to human eye but gyros can be quite prone to error with even small amounts of vibration.

Is the main board , i.e. 4in1 unit firmly mounted on the frame? All the coaxes I've owned had the 4in1 mounted with double sided tape. If this has become loose the gyro will get false inputs due the the movement of the 4in1.

Sorry if following is redundant as you mentioned you adjusted trim but I was assuming on transmitter. Attached pic is typical 4in1 unit. Does yours have gyro gain and main motor pot settings like in the pic? With small screwdriver, find the limits of travel and then set to mid points as a start. The main motor pot is what balances rotation of the two rotors so that the copter doesn't spin. What may be happening is that the main motor pot is out of adjustment causing the heli to spin one way and the gyro then overcompensates , spinning the heli the other way. Perhaps if you post a video might help.
Old Jul 06, 2016, 10:00 AM
Joined Sep 2013
62 Posts
picture of pc heli board model double horse 9101

Quote:
Hmmm tough one. Lets circle back to gyro. Since it's not out of box problem, any chance shaft or blade may have got slightly bent out of shape causing excessive vibration. By excessive, vibration may appear acceptable to human eye but gyros can be quite prone to error with even small amounts of vibration.

Is the main board , i.e. 4in1 unit firmly mounted on the frame? All the coaxes I've owned had the 4in1 mounted with double sided tape. If this has become loose the gyro will get false inputs due the the movement of the 4in1.

Sorry if following is redundant as you mentioned you adjusted trim but I was assuming on transmitter. Attached pic is typical 4in1 unit. Does yours have gyro gain and main motor pot settings like in the pic? With small screwdriver, find the limits of travel and then set to mid points as a start. The main motor pot is what balances rotation of the two rotors so that the copter doesn't spin. What may be happening is that the main motor pot is out of adjustment causing the heli to spin one way and the gyro then overcompensates , spinning the heli the other way. Perhaps if you post a video might help.
here's the photo its a 3 channel
Old Jul 06, 2016, 03:52 PM
Joined Apr 2015
127 Posts
I don't see anything on pics that suggests the gyro or main motor are adjustable.

Any chance has the board been completely disconnected and reinstalled for any reason? During re-connection maybe the motor wires got switched. Attached pic shows where each motor connects to based on color or the wires.

Other than that I am out of ideas,.
Old Jul 06, 2016, 07:25 PM
Joined Sep 2013
62 Posts
this might be the gyro pot

Quote:
I don't see anything on pics that suggests the gyro or main motor are adjustable.

Any chance has the board been completely disconnected and reinstalled for any reason? During re-connection maybe the motor wires got switched. Attached pic shows where each motor connects to based on color or the wires.

Other than that I am out of ideas,.
this might be the gyro pot
Old Jul 06, 2016, 08:19 PM
Joined Apr 2015
127 Posts
Looks like it could be pots under the insulation wrap. If they are then it may be worth a try moving the pots methodically in small increments and in both directions and see how it affects flight. Just make note of original position so you can return to this setting if it turns out to be a component unrelated to gyro or main motor adjustment. Good luck!
Old Jul 06, 2016, 10:29 PM
Joined Sep 2013
62 Posts
setting gyro

Quote:
Looks like it could be pots under the insulation wrap. If they are then it may be worth a try moving the pots methodically in small increments and in both directions and see how it affects flight. Just make note of original position so you can return to this setting if it turns out to be a component unrelated to gyro or main motor adjustment. Good luck!
should I do this with the rotors turning slowly ?
Old Jul 07, 2016, 03:46 AM
Joined Apr 2015
127 Posts
I was thinking make a small change and try flying in a very gradual hover where skids are just barely touching ground and observe for any improvement. This is only way to test if it is a gyro pot.

However, if it is a main motor pot, that synchronizes bottom rotor with the upper rotor then your suggestion is appropriate. Just remove the blades first. When doing this, the bottom rotor should change speed while manipulating pot if it is in fact the main motor pot. Adjust it where it appears both rotor hubs appear to be spinning at same rate.
Last edited by bartj1234; Jul 07, 2016 at 05:42 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2016, 07:54 AM
Joined Sep 2013
62 Posts
gyro settings

Quote:
I was thinking make a small change and try flying in a very gradual hover where skids are just barely touching ground and observe for any improvement. This is only way to test if it is a gyro pot.

However, if it is a main motor pot, that synchronizes bottom rotor with the upper rotor then your suggestion is appropriate. Just remove the blades first. When doing this, the bottom rotor should change speed while manipulating pot if it is in fact the main motor pot. Adjust it where it appears both rotor hubs appear to be spinning at same rate.
thanks for the information ,Ill try the small increments adjusting