Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Jun 24, 2016, 03:00 PM
Find More Posts by aeronaut999
The Willamette Valley, Oregon
Joined Dec 2008
1,410 Posts
Question
Elementary questions-- Trying to figure out FrSky X8R / L9R

OK this is really an elementary question but I'm having some trouble finding the answer--

if I want to use a FrSky X8R receiver in a sailplane with Taranis X9D Plus transmitter, and I also am using the FrSky High Precision Variometer with smart port, do I need any OTHER gear inside the aircraft in order to get a vario tone and vocal altimeter callouts and also battery strength and RSSI indications?

What if I want to know the battery voltage of EACH cell?

Also this url http://www.frsky-rc.com/product/pro.php?pro_id=105 indicates that there is a LONGER range receiver called the L9R. How long is LONG range? The chart shows that this receiver does NOT have telemetry. What is an example of an application where someone would want to use this?
aeronaut999 is offline Find More Posts by aeronaut999
Last edited by aeronaut999; Jun 24, 2016 at 03:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2016, 03:58 AM
Find More Posts by renatoa
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
19,540 Posts
> if I want to use a FrSky X8R receiver in a sailplane with Taranis X9D Plus transmitter, and I also am using the FrSky High Precision Variometer with smart port, do I need any OTHER gear inside the aircraft in order to get a vario tone and vocal altimeter callouts and also battery strength and RSSI indications?

Nothing else, is all you need... but... only if the battery is directly connected to receiver without ESC or BEC !
If not this case, you need a battery sensor.

> What if I want to know the battery voltage of EACH cell?

The sensor I wrote above is also mandatory for the each cell case.

> How long is LONG range?

Frsky claim 5km, some people reported even 10 km, my first hand intel is 8-9km.

> The chart shows that this receiver does NOT have telemetry. What is an example of an application where someone would want to use this?

FPV - that flight style where you are almost onboard pilot, using a camera and a display
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa