Old May 21, 2015, 11:13 AM
Find More Posts by jrobinsonusaf
United States, NC, Matthews
Joined Jun 2006
54 Posts
Discussion
Rotor Head Question

Is there any advantage (or disadvantage) to having a one axis head with elevator and rudder versus a two axis head? With a two axis head, do you need elevators? Can the head be coupled to other controls ala the Ercoupe (linked ailerons and rudders)? I'm new to this and trying to learn as much as I can before investing in anything.

JR
jrobinsonusaf is offline Find More Posts by jrobinsonusaf
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2015, 06:24 PM
Find More Posts by britinoz
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
2,106 Posts
Greetings JR
Well there a couple of ways to go about it...and they both work OK
You can have aileron and elevator on the head with the servos coupled using the delta set up on your TX. So this gives you a full moving head plus a rudder.....or......you can have roll only on the head with a conventional rudder and elevator on the tail.
Both these methods are suitable for a beginner.
Happy Landings
Chris...
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old May 24, 2015, 05:35 PM
Find More Posts by roidspop
Joined Apr 2005
1,062 Posts
The single axis rotor with rudder and elevator let you take some risks you might not otherwise, like doing aerobatics. If the rotor should stop inverted or in a vertical dive, as an example, you've still got yaw and pitch control and a shot of power can let you recover quickly. With roll and pitch on the rotor, it seems like it's possible to get into situations that you might not be able to get out of unless you have plenty of altitude. I haven't been willing to fly my direct control gyro into weird orientations, but I don't worry at all about the 1 + 2 I've got now...someone else would have a different view, I'm sure.
roidspop is offline Find More Posts by roidspop