Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Aug 17, 2014, 04:45 AM
Find More Posts by dragonblade
Joined Apr 2014
814 Posts
Question
How to remove a GoPro mount from an rc boat?

I mounted a GoPro camera to a cheap rc boat with one of those GoPro adhesive mounts. I knew that such a camera was going to be a little demanding on this boat so I added wooden wings in the hope that they would prevent the boat was tipping over. These wings did absolutely nothing - the boat quickly submerged and inverted - at least the onboard footage is a little amusing.

I think I'll try my 808 keychain camera on the boat with an underwater housing. The only problem is that I now have the GoPro mount on there and the adhesive mount has an incredibly strong bond. Any tips on how to remove it?
dragonblade is offline Find More Posts by dragonblade
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2014, 05:53 AM
Joined Apr 2014
814 Posts
I managed to pull it off. I think the wetness helped - it seemed to make the adhesive a bit weaker.

By the way, I like the idea of using a tic tac container as a water proof housing for an 808 cam. I'll give that a try.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:12 AM
Find More Posts by Kmot
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
25,578 Posts
In the future, a little heat from a hair dryer will help lift off the adhesive mount.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Aug 17, 2014, 06:39 PM
Joined Apr 2014
814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
In the future, a little heat from a hair dryer will help lift off the adhesive mount.
Ive read about that too. I did try the hair dryer trick with another GoPro adhesive pad that was attached to an Ikea egg timer but I still couldn't get it off.

Anyhow, I'll post my GoPro rc boat fail video on youtube sometime. It didn't take much more than a few seconds for the boat to submerge.