HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:23 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,917 Posts
Thanks... i need to get another 48 to throw on skis... by far my funnest ski plane. I still have the carbon gear and skis setup.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2015, 01:17 PM
Aer0bat
United States, CA, Dana Point
Joined Sep 2011
24 Posts
Anyone running Hi-Tec 5245MG servos have issues with slop? I'm setting my aileron throws and noticed that the centering is inconsistent. When I checked the servo, I noticed a small amount of play, not huge, but enough to allow the control surface to move 2mm or so. Its the same on all 4 servos. I would have thought the tolerance would be tighter. Any thoughts?

For the record, all servos are new and have not yet been flown. Still in setup process!

On a related note, I'm setting ailerons equal 45 degrees up and down from center. Does that sound about right or should I be getting more/less throw?

Thanks!
agent3mc is offline Find More Posts by agent3mc
Old Jan 24, 2015, 01:44 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent3mc View Post
Anyone running Hi-Tec 5245MG servos have issues with slop? I'm setting my aileron throws and noticed that the centering is inconsistent. When I checked the servo, I noticed a small amount of play, not huge, but enough to allow the control surface to move 2mm or so. Its the same on all 4 servos. I would have thought the tolerance would be tighter. Any thoughts?
I'm betting that you are using Dubro heavy duty arms, which can move around on the output shaft. That's probably where your slop is coming from.

Quote:
On a related note, I'm setting ailerons equal 45 degrees up and down from center. Does that sound about right or should I be getting more/less throw?
It's going to roll so fast you won't even be able to see it. I run 33 degrees on mine and at full deflection I can't keep up with it.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Today, 10:52 AM
Aer0bat
United States, CA, Dana Point
Joined Sep 2011
24 Posts
Thanks Doc. I'm running Spot On arms, and they have a pinch bolt to clamp the arm around the servo spline. I'll check them again, but not certain that the slop is coming from that point.

I think I'm going to back off the throws!
agent3mc is offline Find More Posts by agent3mc
Old Today, 04:37 PM
Hey y'all!!! Watch this!!!
United States, VA, Gloucester
Joined Jul 2007
400 Posts
All metal gear servos have a tiny bit of lash. Otherwise, the gears would be binding with each other. The thing that exaggerates the perceived slop is the large control surfaces and massive throws. The model should be set up mechanically with the most advantage given to the servo. In other words, crank up the end points and use the farthest hole on the surface and the closest hole on the servo that gives you the desired throws. Unfortunately, in our case, we tend to go the other way to get as much deflection as we can, which only exacerbates the slop and centering issue. I'm using 5245's on my Extra. It has slop on all surfaces. Flies absolutely fine and has no centering or trimming issues. Also, still using the Dubro HD arms from my MXS. I'll change them if I ever see or feel a reason to. In Doc's defense, I'm not as hard a flyer as he is, so maybe that makes a difference on wear and tear.
Eddge is online now Find More Posts by Eddge