HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2015, 09:35 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G WILLIE View Post
I started running engines in 1953. I got my first 22 in 1957 and have been a shooter since, 40 some years of it intensive target shooting. And I worked in steel mills for 39 years. God bless you guys who can hear the difference between analog vinyl and digital CDs.
Could very well be that for some men beeing a bit def it is handy to be able to say 'sorry dear did'nt hear you saying that, you know my bit of deffness dear..' but personally I do have a good relationship with my wife so it is of no use to me
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:05 AM
Size doesn't matter!!!
Belgium
Joined Sep 2005
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Could very well be that for some men beeing a bit def it is handy to be able to say 'sorry dear did'nt hear you saying that, you know my bit of deffness dear..' but personally I do have a good relationship with my wife so it is of no use to me
No such situation at the Reginald residence...
classicracer is offline Find More Posts by classicracer
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:10 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,834 Posts
ED racer, green head, 1958 (?) Would there have been any difference in the power out put between the diesel and glow using the same prop? About that time (1959) Cox introduced the Olympic (reed valve). How closely would the glow engines have been matched? I'm going to guess the Cox would have come out ahead.
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jan 22, 2015, 02:52 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,760 Posts
John, you may be right if you take a Racer (1950 design), but try an Oliver, and use the best prop for the engine in each case, and the Cox Olympic will appear pretty feeble...
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2015, 05:42 PM
Mt Evelyn, Melbourne, OZ
Joined Dec 2008
684 Posts
Cox Olympic: 0.32 hp @17,000 rpm
Ollie Mk III 0.305 hp @ 13,800 rpm
Ollie Mk III (mod) 0.365 hp @ 18,000 rpm.
Racer MkII 0.265 hp @ 13,800 rpm

I would say the Olympic easily has the legs on a Racer but not an Ollie.

Of course each to their own.
If we are not interested in flat chat but prefer a larger prop, surely the diesels would have it all.
Warren B is online now Find More Posts by Warren B
Old Jan 23, 2015, 09:27 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,834 Posts
Thanks Warren. I'm not familiar with the Ollie Mk III (mod) 0.365 hp @ 18,000 rpm. That's really hauling! Any info on the prop size?

The Oliver Tiger MkIV Copeman (lighting flash and date stamps on crank case) might again have a little more power. With the Mk V (Schnuerle porting), I would guess it would be in a class by itself, maybe like a Rossi ?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:46 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,124 Posts
Engine test on the Mk III modified here .
downunder is online now Find More Posts by downunder
Old Jan 23, 2015, 02:48 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,834 Posts
Thanks downunder. Interesting information. I'll never push my .15's with a 7x4 prop, let alone a diesel. From the info presented it would appear that the Cox .15 comes out on top, but only with the later variants. The Conquest is king, but again is a much later/newer model. If, for sport flying, the .15 doesn't have enough power, then move on to a .21.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 03:32 PM
Diesel Danny
Australia, VIC, Bellbridge
Joined Nov 2013
352 Posts
Here's a nicely modified Cox Conquest .15 that I spotted on Richard Justic's Diesel Goodyear at the Albury Nats last year. Ran very well.

* Danny M *
danny mz is online now Find More Posts by danny mz
Old Jan 24, 2015, 05:47 AM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny mz View Post
Here's a nicely modified Cox Conquest .15 that I spotted on Richard Justic's Diesel Goodyear at the Albury Nats last year. Ran very well.

* Danny M *
Obviously ran too well. Prop on backwards to keep under 27/10.
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:51 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,834 Posts
Prop on backwards, yes for reduced power on a FF.
And yes, I've made that mistake on a pusher.
The above pic....probably just to see if we are paying attention!!!
Here's another way to keep the power down.
Old Today, 12:56 AM
Joined Sep 2011
153 Posts
It was put on backwards to slow the model/ engine down for the speed allowed for the contest it was running in John . I finally got the piccies of the ball race Mills Fiery , he actually built / re manufactured ,whatever ,5 examples using different combinations of manufacturers parts and cases . All ran well ,but this example was setup to do what he wanted it to do and goes very hard and therefore is very easy to tune for this flying carpet the way he likes it .
Geoff Potter is online now Find More Posts by Geoff Potter
Old Today, 04:01 AM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
590 Posts
A lot of thought has gone into that Mills Geoff. Peripheral fueling too. Exhaust port looks deeper than original. 'Tickled' internally to breath better as well?
fiery is offline Find More Posts by fiery
Old Today, 04:16 AM
Joined Sep 2011
153 Posts
That is a Rothwell setup ,banjo and needle , I use them all the time now . If I mod an engine for someone ,like an OS 60 F/S for Texaco I make a new venturie and use a Rothwell banjo and needle . I think they are better than an 09 Cox setup . Yes it is worked on quite a deal inside , he has done basically what I do with my speed Mills , just help it breath a bit better, he sent me a pic of that as well so I suppose it's ok to put on here .
Old Today, 04:56 AM
Joined Sep 2011
153 Posts
Today is AUSTRALIA DAY and I'm afraid that in Sydney we have had a very unusual wet and cold day so no BBQ ,beach,harbour, or cricket. I decided that I needed some props for next weekend at our Orange O/Timer comp , so was a good day to make a start . Got two 13/4 , two 8.5/4, and one 11/3 , then broke the mould for the 11" one. All out of carbon ,just got to clean up and thin a bit and ready to go , a productive day .