Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:38 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Thanks,Sean, you're the charger king!
It's not a matter of me being the charger king (I'm not), more like I'm a battery wuss. Ever since I started this crazy hobby I've always feared losing one over a punk battery. Subsequently, I became the Imelda Marcos of battery chargers. Swapping, trading, buying selling, on and on. Now that I finally got some high end chargers and am also changing battery types it's time to clean out the closet. I'm almost down to stuff I actually need. In fact I ended up with some of JCStalls (Jared's) stuff when he upgraded so I'm two years behind him!.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:41 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
The Thermal Queen I'm familiar with but not the Gaggler. Thanks Wayne and Wazmo for rattling my memory.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:26 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,631 Posts
Gone diggin

OK Steve and all, if ya don't hear from me for a couple days, I'm looking for 'old style' pics!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:37 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canardly View Post
OK Steve and all, if ya don't hear from me for a couple days, I'm looking for 'old style' pics!
We're waiting captain but we may not be able to hold this crowd back. Could be a riot.

I found some photos today of me made during my very early aviation endeavors. I'm talking 5-6 years old. I'll try to scan them and post this weekend to show all I was nuts even at that age.

Thankfully we only have one female member at this time. Katie, when you see these pics I will not be responsible when you swoon due to my devastatingly good looks.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:50 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
I found some photos today of me made during my very early aviation endeavors. I'm talking 5-6 years old. I'll try to scan them and post this weekend to show all I was nuts even at that age.

Thankfully we only have one female member at this time. Katie, when you see these pics I will not be responsible when you swoon due to my devastatingly good looks.
Just as long as your Pampers are still firmly attached in the pictures.

Spaghetti face is ok.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:59 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,994 Posts
Hi Sean

I have a pic of me at 10 yrs old holding my first plane, was a bright red 42" Ringmaster U- control the thing was almost bigger than me.

My grampa gave me a Mccoy 19 for my birthday and i put it to good use hauling that plane around, really needed a 29 though for doing more stunts like outside loops.

Never will forget how neat that feel was of the pull on your hand and having control for some simple stunts.

Wow that was 61 yrs ago, where and the hell did it go !!!

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:27 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Did someone say RIOT? I'm grabbing my gas mask in case the web police come in here and start throwing CS!!!!

I remember the Ringmaster well Don. My first yukie was a Cox PT-19 and then went to a Jumpin-bean. Never did the Ringmaster though. While I was stationed in Korea I built up a VooDoo combat and a sweet Spitfire stunter. Both with K&B .40s in them. Only reason I went back to yujkies was that they wouldn't allow us to fly R/C that close to the DMZ. Hard to believe that was over 30 years ago now. At least R/C doesn't make me any dizzier than I already can be at times.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:23 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,115 Posts
Oh the memories. My first yukie was a Ringmaster Jr with an OS .19 (I still have my Pylon cables - I believe 52', and my red EZ-just handle ). I bought a red & white Cox PT-19 to practice before I flew my pride & joy Ringmaster. Those rubber bands holding that .049 in sure got a work out - Ha!
SHVentus is offline Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:30 AM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,994 Posts
At the time i was mowing lawns to buy my hobby store stuff, did not have the money for Aero-Gloss fuel proof paint.

So i painted it with Red house hold enamil and it weighed a ton, was trying a outside loop and she would not come around and hit the blacktop head on.

Did a great job of Rekiting the Ringmaster, pushing the flywheel right out of the back of the motor as i learned a good lesson in life ' some things you don't cheat on ' should have used the fuel proof paint for a lighter plane for that outside loop!!!

G Don
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:04 AM
delete account
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
My first U plane was the little .049 Cox PT-19 , they must have sold a million of them, I was something like 10 years old. Went onto a bunch of other kit control liners after that and just had a hoot with them. 33 years later and I would still enjoy some U flying I reckon the combat would be amazing with today's designs, back in the day we would just combat anything.

I'd love to see any old pics of you fellows back in the day, will have to look through mine too.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:34 AM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,994 Posts
Hi Steve

No pics but a good story,in 56' i was working in the Granada Hobby Center 4 blocks from my hose while in school.

This guy bought one of those Cox 049 ready to fly planes, and wanted me to show him how to fly it, we went to the parking lot in the rear of the building and i flew it for a few minutes for him to see what to do.

Re fueled it and he took it off and he kept moving over and i told him to stay in one place, well the plane was too close to the power lines and wrapped around the wires and snapped off the control strings and flew right back over the roof top and into the main street on a Saturday afternoon.

Well it got rekited too by all the cars that ran it over, the Boss was a neat guy and gave him a new one for him and his boy to fly in the park and away from any power lines

G Don
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:19 AM
delete account
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
Hahaa! good story GDon, those little plastic planes could take a beating but not a squashing, I found your story easy to picture.

Found an old RC pic folks, I think this was my first trainer, back then you had to build your own from a kit and most trainers then were bloody awful things to be honest, flat bottomed, high dihedral RE throttle things that were meant to teach you all about the importance of rudder. I remember my next plane (pictured) it was a little sports thing with ailerons and soooo much easier to fly! My father went on and built a lot of really nice models and they all flew very well, I should say that we built them but ti's hard to remember there were always a few projects on the go. I was a fortunate kid for many years, my family were not at all wealthy but dad always found the time and some money to help me in the hobby, it was a good example he gave me.

Sorry the pics aren't gliders, but they are woodies.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:35 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Alright Steve!! Great pics.

Lets see if anyone else can put some up. I'll try to get mine scanned and loaded over the weekend.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:38 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Just as long as your Pampers are still firmly attached in the pictures.

Spaghetti face is ok.
I'm actually fully clothed in these pics and IIRC diapers were a thing of the past. I'm more considered about me in the future wearing diapers though. . I'll talk to Hoss today and see if he has any photos to share. There may be a problem finding some of him actually wearing cloths though.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:11 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Okay, this is bringing back memories...mostly good ones too! My first was a stick built control line something or other - probably a Carl Goldberg model, with a Cox .049 on the nose. The wing was held on with rubber bands, and if I remember correctly so was the wire landing gear. I then moved on to a couple of other models, one of which was a P51 profile plane with an Enya .15 on it with 52' braided cable lines. That thing moved out nicely, although on one flight I learned the true meaning of a proper CG when the fuel tank "ejected" at speed and the CG shifted in a hurry! I saved it, but was running all over the place to keep it under control.

Other planes followed, along with a spectacular episode with a Stuka (Cox?) that went in at speed. I should have had some pyrotechnics on board - would have made for a perfect finish

On another note... hey Katie, what's that "newish" sail belong to?

Cheers,

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh