HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:50 PM
United States, WY, Jackson
Joined Aug 2012
25 Posts
Discussion
putting a spring return on a Spektrum DX-18 throttle

I've been flying with the flaps on throttle, which works really well for me, but I had the unfortunate event of hitting the throttle stick by accident on launch - goodbye glider!

I used to have a rubber band that held the throttle in the "up" position, but took it off because it was a bit of a hassle (I don't think that anymore!!).

Has anyone been able to modify their throttle stick internally with a spring return? I was told by a DLG pilot that it can be done, but I've never seen anyone do it, document it, or talk about it. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.
Barorg is offline Find More Posts by Barorg
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2014, 01:01 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,881 Posts
Like this? Seems like if you make it internal you couldn't use the flap stick as a throttle w/o taking it apart again.
Dave
David Forbes is offline Find More Posts by David Forbes
Old Oct 15, 2014, 01:20 PM
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barorg View Post
I've been flying with the flaps on throttle, which works really well for me, but I had the unfortunate event of hitting the throttle stick by accident on launch - goodbye glider!

I used to have a rubber band that held the throttle in the "up" position, but took it off because it was a bit of a hassle (I don't think that anymore!!).

Has anyone been able to modify their throttle stick internally with a spring return? I was told by a DLG pilot that it can be done, but I've never seen anyone do it, document it, or talk about it. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

I have modified two internal JR8103 and 9303 transmitters inside. It is really simple. You can make a part from nylon, add a small spring from an old pen , or similar small spring, and it works great.

I'll have to dig out the parts from my flightbox tonight and photograph. It basically mimics the spring returns inside the gimbal.

Chris
Thermaln2 is online now Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Old Oct 15, 2014, 02:42 PM
2013 US F3K Team Manager
Newbury Park, CA
Joined May 2005
1,044 Posts
Or you can just program you DX-18 to ignore the throttle stick when in Launch mode(s)
dlgdude is online now Find More Posts by dlgdude
Old Oct 15, 2014, 02:55 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,334 Posts
The easiest & best way!
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Oct 15, 2014, 05:00 PM
IHeartDLG
Asheville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlgdude View Post
Or you can just program you DX-18 to ignore the throttle stick when in Launch mode(s)
That's what I was going to say. I have all my flight modes and flaps disabled on launch. That way, if I forget to push the stick back up, I won't find out on launch, just when I have altitude.
Yardracer is offline Find More Posts by Yardracer
Old Oct 16, 2014, 06:06 AM
Joined Aug 2012
25 Posts
I think the temporary rubber band and the programming are the sensible way to go. Messing with the programming is a PITA, but I'll figure it out... unless someone out there has posted a DX-18 dlg program already?

Thanks guys!!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 01:17 AM
Nick Radle
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined May 2004
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barorg View Post

That wasn't the Brko was it????
There is the option of turning off the brake system for certain flight modes, which is what I used to do. But for competition flying, I found that launch and landing mode need to be the same mode so you don't have to fuss with switching, or remembering to switch, flight modes in the middle of a quick turn. My launch mode is also my speed and landing mode, since it just so happens that the reflex needed for speed mode is optimal for most gliders on the vertical phase of the launch. Then I have a temporary mix switch for the elevator/camber needed for the rotation part of the launch.
Anyway, I hope it wasn't the Brko, and learn to love the rubber band!
Bodywerks is offline Find More Posts by Bodywerks
Last edited by Bodywerks; Oct 17, 2014 at 01:23 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 08:26 AM
Joined Aug 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodywerks View Post
That wasn't the Brko was it????
I'm so sorry to say, yes, and it was my favorite airplane by far. I was LOVING flying it, having a great time, catching the landings and feeling good all around... and then, they wayward thump hit the throttle!! damn!

I'm having it professionally repaired - hoping it's not as bad as it looks... and I have another one on order.