SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 02, 2013, 05:55 PM
Owner of many, master of none!
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Mar 2013
53 Posts
Discussion
WL Toys V911 Adjustments - Tilt while hovering?

Hello all,

I've had my V911 for about a month now after starting with Syma S107G's, and I just had a question as it seems to hover at a slant.

Out of the box the thing would take off and immediately zoom to one side. I tried to adjust the trim to compensate for this, but it didn't help much. I ended up taking the canopy off, and I took off the attachment to the swashplate from the one servo, gave it a few turns, and this made things better. I was able to trim it which allowed me to fly it.

But I notice that at a hover, the heli is tilted down to the left (when the canopy is facing me), and the right servo arm attached to the swashplate is a little higher than the left one. I tried adjusting it back level, but then the heli returns back to it's original flying behaviour. Is my helicopter just off kilter or is there something else I can adjust to help level it out. It will hover okay with it trimmed, but it just looks a little weird tilted like that.

Just curious,
AZC
AlphaZetaCharlie is offline Find More Posts by AlphaZetaCharlie
Last edited by AlphaZetaCharlie; Mar 02, 2013 at 07:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:08 PM
Joined Jun 2012
8 Posts
This is normal operation for the helicopter. When the tail motor is running (which is always) it pushes the helicopter to the left (perspective of helicopter). To compensate for this the helicopter is made to hang a little off kilter so that it is stable during flight. When taking off apply a little right aileron to counteract the leftward tendancy. Once you're in the air it should hover fine without aileron adjustment, if not adjust the trim.
doubleg is offline Find More Posts by doubleg
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:12 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Mar 2013
53 Posts
Thanks for the reply. That is actually what I am doing now during takeoffs from the ground. I give it some right direction, and I trim out any drift in the air. It's just once I have everything all adjusted, and it is hovering fine that I see the helicopter appears tilted. Is that a normal hover appearance? The one ball joint is a little higher than the other, but it does stay stationary in the air.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:13 PM
Joined Mar 2013
1 Posts
I have the same issues with mine, takes about 75% of battery life to get stable flight and it tilts down to left when flying.
Wastingtime22 is offline Find More Posts by Wastingtime22
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:13 PM
Joined Feb 2013
17 Posts
i have the h911, not sure if its the same heli just different model or what but i was having the same problem and my other heli is the master cp and i was warned that that would do it also. what i was told to do is on take off u have to give it a little right aileron on take off and once its in the air your hovering should be somewhat normal. you may have to adjust some trim, if its leaning nose down or forward then adjust the trim down on the elev. that should bring the tail down and nose up. hope this helps, im still learning myself so not sure if this is any help at all.
hustlertkc is offline Find More Posts by hustlertkc
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:23 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Mar 2013
53 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm describing this right so I'll just clarify. While my V911 is hovering stationary (there's no drift or turning or anything), it appears tilted slightly with the one ball joint that connects to the swashplate being up a little due to my trimming. It hovers in one spot fine like this. I notice that when I adjust the trim back to the middle the ball joint is even with the other, but then it will drift to the one side. I'll try to take a photo...

Sorry about the blurry photo, it's tricky to grab the camera while flying the V911 at the same time. As you can see in this hover it's a bit tilted. It doesn't drift to the side, but it's just angled for some reason. Weird.
Last edited by AlphaZetaCharlie; Mar 02, 2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:51 PM
Joined Jun 2012
8 Posts
When you trim it you are basically adding or subtracting a constant value from your input. As such the swashplate should tilt slightly when you trim it. Ideally a helicopter wouldn't need any trim, but small variations from helicopter to helicopter are going to require that you add some trim to get a perfectly stable hover. The helicopter does lean a little to one side while hovering I believe this is normal to counteract the horizontal force created by the tail rotor. Mine does this as well, basically the main rotor spinning clockwise creates a counterclockwise torque on the helicopter the tail rotor spins to counteract this torque, but in doing so creates a horizontal force the left of the helicopter, to counteract that the helicopter has to tilt to the right in order to stay stationary. Ideally the hardware would trim it to tilt right enough so you don't have to use your control trim to counteract, but I think the v911 relies on controller trim to create this.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:55 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Mar 2013
53 Posts
Thanks for the detailed explanation! I was just wondering whether this was normal or whether there was an adjustment I could make to allow it to hover with a more level appearance. I thought geez maybe mine is out of whack as even out of the box I couldn't get it to fly without adjusting the ball joint first. I guess they don't test fly these at the factory before boxing up.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:04 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Forget about levelling the swashplate on the v911 - it's not a CP heli.

Center your trims on the tx display. Then adjust the servo links for stable hover. Do one direction at a time. Once it is stable it should not need any significant trimming except on the rudder due to battery voltage drop.

This is not a coaxial. It will only stay still for a few seconds. Let go of the 'perfect hover' and just fly. That's where the fun is.

Have fun.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:06 PM
Joined Jun 2012
8 Posts
No problem! Yeah, I don't think there's much you can do about it. All the fixed pitch helis I've seen have had at least some tilt to them.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:17 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Mar 2013
53 Posts
I guess I'm just so used to my S107G coaxial helicopter that always seems so level while hovering. I learn something new everyday! I'll try doing some more servo link adjustments with the trims in the middle. As it is, I just need a little bit of trimming to stop some slight lateral drift and a little anti-rotation when the battery gets low. Thanks again guys and happy flying!
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:19 PM
Australia, SA, Mt Gambier
Joined Mar 2012
80 Posts
Mine "leans" as well , great little helli and a good stepping stone to CP. As gordonzo says it has to be flown on the sticks all the time.
cheers
ron
acheyj is offline Find More Posts by acheyj
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:29 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Mar 2013
53 Posts
Oh yeah, I love the V911. Going from a S107G to the V911 is like riding a tricycle and then hopping onto a motorcycle! What a big difference. It's hard to go back to flying the S107G. I used to love flying it, but now I'm addicted to the V911.

What made learning on the V911 worse was not understanding the modes on the remote. The one mode makes the helicopter hyper-sensitive to inputs. I guess that's the outdoor mode? I usually keep it on the easier mode. and I still crash it a lot inside! I almost lost one of the weights in the flybar. I think they are just friction fit into the housings? I dabbed a little crazy glue in before reseating the weight so I hope that helps keep it in place. I'm surprised that little weight wasn't lost the two times it's happened.

On an non-related note, holy cow check out this video. At first I thought it was a remote control helicopter as no one would be that crazy to fly so close to the ground/trees, but nope.... check it out:

Insane Helicopter Pilot (3 min 35 sec)
Last edited by AlphaZetaCharlie; Mar 02, 2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:53 PM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Feb 2007
906 Posts
“There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots.”

That is one bold pilot. While he lives, it's good of him to provide us with some entertaining footage.
ranavalona is online now Find More Posts by ranavalona
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:23 AM
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Feb 2013
238 Posts
I went from a pair of Syma 105G to the V911 (Syma 105G vs 107G... dunno what the differences may be - they look much the same.)

On the V911, if you open the throttle too slowly it will skid off to the left. Note the little tabs under the left hand skid. These tabs are supposed to help offset the left skid takeoff slide.

After many takeoffs trying to use electronic right aileron trim to slow down the LH takeoff drift, I came to realise that that stuffed up the hover. The best takeoff is to learn the throttle response and get it up to about 12" / 300mm as quickly as possible. Jump it off the ground. Ground effect is very different for FP compared to coax; seems to be much more disruptive with FP.

The nature of the beast is that the tail rotor pushes the tail to the left to counter the rotational torque from the main rotor. This constant push to the left can mean that the whole body ends up leaning to the right in a hover so that the forces balance. Very unlike the little Syma coaxs.

A swash plate copter may be trimmed to have a stable hover with the plate well out of level... but it may not fly accurately. Out of the box, it was close to good trim; but not quite good enough for small space indoor flying. Flew circles on rudder.

I did spend a lot of time learning how to trim the V911, using the control arm clevis adjustments, so that it hovers stably AND using rudder will rotate it on the mast axis - as we got used to with the coax helis. If it won't spin on the mast without drifting, then it is not properly trimmed. (In My Opinion). Much fun. Much to learn.
IanPellant is offline Find More Posts by IanPellant