HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
The 48" Extra is a bit more capable, but, is also a bit more fragile due to the somewhat thin carbon fiber gear (this not to say it is "fragile", but of course the wire gear is stronger). I was going to suggest possibly finding a 57" Extra, as it is an exception flying plane, but I "believe" it is being phased out in favor of the new 61" Extra, which I believe should be coming soon.

SteveT.
61 extra?
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,281 Posts
Yes there is a 61" coming.
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,169 Posts
Start here...then next few pages...

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,750 Posts
I'll have one next weekend.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Today, 06:59 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
The 48" Extra is a bit more capable, but, is also a bit more fragile due to the somewhat thin carbon fiber gear (this not to say it is "fragile", but of course the wire gear is stronger). I was going to suggest possibly finding a 57" Extra, as it is an exception flying plane, but I "believe" it is being phased out in favor of the new 61" Extra, which I believe should be coming soon.

SteveT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Hog View Post
For something different get a Vyper Bype, they are pretty much giving them away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
I've had 5 of the small 3DHS planes and the 47 Extra was my least favorite, I never had the 48 Edge though. I much preferred the 42 Slick to the Extra. I also preferred the 46 Yak over the Extra. Just my opinion, I know there are lots of fans of the 47.
Thanks for the insights.
I already have a 3D Bipe (Ultimate AMR) and don'treally want another one.
I really want to stay in 48" WS for easy transport.

And to muddy up the waters even more...Extreme Flight has the Extra 300 EXP, Laser EXP and MXS all in 48" and all the same reasonable price.

Hmmm. decisions... I'm trying to figure out what to tell Santa.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Today, 07:20 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,369 Posts
what do do want out of the plane? I've had or flown the 3dhs 48" Edge, 47" Extra, and the EF 48" MXS, 48" Edge, 48" Extra, but not the 48" Laser. Have flown the 60" Laser though.

The 3dhs 48" Edge is easily the floatiest and best for low down 3d and learning 3d. It is very gentle. The 47" extra I never much liked. Some love it, and I've seen Joe Smith just tearing it up with one, but the one I flew I could never click with.
In the EF lineup I felt much the same with their 48" Extra. Had wing rock in a harrier unless you had the big side force generators on, and just wasn't my favorite plane. I had the larger 78" version of the same plane though and loved it, go figure. The 48" MXS from EF is a blast. But it is aggressive and quick. It was almost too aggressive at first and took me about 20 flights to really click with it. Then it became my favorite plane and changed my flying style from low and slow 3d to harder faster flying with lots of pop tops and crankshafts and tumbles and such. The EF 48" Edge came next for me, the ferrari red scheme drew me in. But after the MXS it felt slow and not aggressive enough. It is a good flying plane though, and almost as gentle and easy as the 3dhs one to fly. As is typical for an edge it was very solid in a harrier and overall gentle to fly and easy to do 3d with. In the Laser, the 60" one I can compare to the 64" MXS which I also had. The bigger MXS flew just like the small one, and was a ton of fun. Presumably the 48" Laser would compare with the 60" one similarly. The Laser is a very well rounded plane. It does everything well. Not quite as aggressive as the MXS, and not quite as gentle as the Edge. Solid 3d performer, and good at smooth precision flying too.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Today, 08:44 AM
3D Addict
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
1,051 Posts
The 42-in slick is a blast! I like the fact that hitec 5065 or savox 0255's have plenty of power for control surfaces.
alfabeast is offline Find More Posts by alfabeast
Old Today, 08:47 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,170 Posts
Ryan_M,
Thanks greatly for the synopsis.
I think it's really cool to hear reviews of this sort from those that have actually flown the models and can give a subjective report on each.
For me, I really enjoy the more violent tumbles and such but the low and slow stuff, while challenging, I find a bit boring.

I'll have to give Santa my list when I can sort all of this info out.
Thanks again.
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 09:19 AM
Huckin around the Shire
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined Jun 2010
1,129 Posts
I have not owned as many of 48" planes as Ryan. I started with a 48" velox VR1 which I still own and love. I got a 48" EF MXS to try to find a newer version of that style of plane and I just never learned to love it as much. I sold it to dth7. The 48" laser was much more stable and felt bigger than the other planes. Very balanced design. I sold it to clean out hangar space and I am now just down to the VR1. I also got to fly the EF 48" extra and was not impressed.

With my tastes for digital servos and motor brands, when I go to price out a 48 I usually end up justifying a 60" instead.
Enterprise7 is online now Find More Posts by Enterprise7
Old Today, 09:20 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,369 Posts
ahh, well if violent tumbles are your thing, take a good look at the 51" Slick. Nothing tumbles like a 51" Slick. Well maybe a 42" Slick, but the 51 still beats it in overall violence I think.
Watch this around the 9:15 mark:
2014 Kennett 02 (10 min 24 sec)
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Today, 10:05 AM
Huckin around the Shire
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined Jun 2010
1,129 Posts
I do have a 51" Slick. I got a Red Bull FB scheme one. I love the looks of that scheme with the graphics and I don't fly it too often for fear of damaging it.

After flying a 56 AJL with the 4315-480 I keep thinking of getting a 6s setup with a 3615-480 instead of the 750 I have.

The plane flies like a dream though. I keep hearing that something changed when they went to the new schemes with the design.
Enterprise7 is online now Find More Posts by Enterprise7
Old Today, 10:13 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise7 View Post
With my tastes for digital servos and motor brands, when I go to price out a 48 I usually end up justifying a 60" instead.
I did some calculations as figured that a 48" plane costing $170-$180 all decked out with premium stuff come close to $500.
I'm more in the 350-400 range.
A 60" inch plane costing $280 and then all decked out with premium stuff comes to about $800+.

That's mucho dinero!
But hey! A man needs what he needs.
RCG Plus Member