HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:02 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,923 Posts
Finally got the paint templates done for the EzFly Spitfire. They are on the site now if anyone is interested.
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:14 PM
F3P and Sailplanes-Great!
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
414 Posts
Very pleased!

I have been looking for a tough, 3-channel trainer for a young friend of mine to use and really only found one that seemed to fill the bill...the EzFly. I bought the foam kit, the motor and the receiver from the web site. My friend and I put it together over the last week and maidened it last night at the local college field house.

I am very pleased with the plane. This is the first time my friend has flown a fixed wing plane, and by the end of the first battery, he was making several circuits around the room (somewhat tentatively, of course) before crashing. And crash he did...many times. He nosed the plane into the floor time after time, and the plane just bounced. After many crashes into the floor, the wall and the bleachers along the wall, the only damage was to the make-shift landing gear I had put on the plane. After that, I simply hand-launched the plane.

The other flyers at the field house were amazed at the punishment the plane could take without being damaged.

Mike, thanks for a great trainer plane. I have some up trim dialed into the plane and have up elevator (25%) mixed with the rudder. As my friend gets better in controlling the plane, I will reduce both.

Ray
RayPB is offline Find More Posts by RayPB
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:26 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,923 Posts
If the radio can do it, mixing elevator with rudder is a great way to help them keep the nose up while learning. Glad you figured it out. I also found that initially turning the rates way down helps prevent them from over controlling. After the first battery you can probably start turning the rates up.
Glad you like it.
Mike
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:31 PM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
633 Posts
Howdy:

Do any of y'all bevel the leading edges of the wings and tail feathers? Or do you just leave them flat?

Bought the EPP kit of this little bugger off fancyfoam. Got it built, save for the electronics. Going to paint it like my son's favorite movie plane, the Memphis Belle. Once he learns how to take off, fly, and land without crashing (too much) I promised to build him a bomb drop on it.
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:28 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roo_ster View Post
Howdy:

Do any of y'all bevel the leading edges of the wings and tail feathers? Or do you just leave them flat?

Bought the EPP kit of this little bugger off fancyfoam. Got it built, save for the electronics. Going to paint it like my son's favorite movie plane, the Memphis Belle. Once he learns how to take off, fly, and land without crashing (too much) I promised to build him a bomb drop on it.
Memphis Belle, that's going to look nice. Post a picture if you think of it!

I bevelled the leading edges... nothing fancy, just shaved it down a bit with an exacto blade.
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:23 AM
Don't Call Me Shirley
United States, VA, Bassett
Joined Oct 2010
197 Posts
I rounded the leading edge with a palm sander and some 60 grit sandpaper.
Tucknut is offline Find More Posts by Tucknut
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:04 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,923 Posts
You can bevel or round off the leading edge but I recommend that you leave the trailing edge of the wing and the doubler as is.
Mike
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, TX, Haltom City
Joined Dec 2008
2 Posts
Im new to rc planes i bought one of these planes and also a dx7 controller could one of y'all please help me by posting how to set up the dx7 for this plane thanks for your help
acebedford is offline Find More Posts by acebedford
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:32 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,923 Posts
Hold down the scroll "down" and "select" buttons at the same time and turn the radio on.
Select the model you want. 1 if it is the first one you are programming.
Scroll up then program the name of the model.
Scroll up and make sure it is set to "ACRO".
Turn the radio off then back on with no buttons pushed.
On the receiver, the rudder will plug into channel 1 (ail).
The elevator will plug into channel 2 (ele).
The speed control will plug into channel 3 (thro).
With the radio on press both the scroll "down" and "select" buttons at the same time to enter the second programing level.
set the servo direction for the rudder and aileron so they move the control the correct direction.
If you want to you can set up a "P"-mix for rudder to aileron so you can use either control to turn the plane and learn to use both controls.
Mike
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:27 PM
Professional Pixel Flyer....
United States, VT, Weathersfield
Joined Dec 2005
363 Posts
Coming soon to RealFlight 6.5....
RightcoastRC is offline Find More Posts by RightcoastRC
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:40 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Hold down the scroll "down" and "select" buttons at the same time and turn the radio on.
Select the model you want. 1 if it is the first one you are programming.
Scroll up then program the name of the model.
Scroll up and make sure it is set to "ACRO".
Turn the radio off then back on with no buttons pushed.
On the receiver, the rudder will plug into channel 1 (ail).
The elevator will plug into channel 2 (ele).
The speed control will plug into channel 3 (thro).
Question. The Dx7 is a Spektrum Tx. As far as I know, these Tx's have "thro" on channel 1, "ail" on channel 2 and "ele" on channel 3:
http://www.rcheliwiki.com/Servo_channel

On another matter: glad to hear that EzFly is making it to Realflight (which just seems to mainly have big nitro aircraft).
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:32 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightcoastRC View Post
Sweet... I've been looking for some sign that I need to upgrade!
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:31 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,923 Posts
Sorry about that. I fly both a DX7 and a hitec so I get confused on channel assignment.
It has been great working with RightcoastRC on these models. He is doing a great job.
Mike
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:11 PM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightcoastRC View Post
OK, I will upgrade soon, so my son can practice on RF.
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:22 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,923 Posts
I got bored last night so I decided to make a new EzFly version. A P-51!!!
I have been wanting to expand the warbird theme beyond the Spitfire and I am excited about this one. Maden flight was in 10+mph wind but went very well. I should have it on the site later this week. Unfortunately I will not be able to supply the Red Tail paint scheme in kit form. But it is not too hard to replicate. I will have a painted version available though. Probably blue and silver.
Mike
Fancyfoam