New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:51 PM
Find More Posts by golf_lake
Australia, SA, Munno Para
Joined Sep 2011
962 Posts
Discussion
Help with HK Stick wing

As the title states I need Help with HK Stick wing, more precisely the front wing locator.

For those that dont know this wing it has a balsa rib that has a ply rib glued to it and then the two halves are glued together.

My issue is that the bit that locates and holds the front of the wing into location has broken.

It was suggested to run a saw down the middle and then glue in a new bit of ply at the front.

I can see this going bad real fast due to the ply being much harder than the balsa ribs each side.

My thought was to remove a bit of the sheeting on the underside and glue a black on each side of the balsa ribs and then drill and glue a dowel in.

looking for ideas on a fix thats up to the job.
golf_lake is online now Find More Posts by golf_lake
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2015, 02:51 AM
Find More Posts by Swoopdown
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,450 Posts
Any photos would help. Especially of the "bit" that's broken.
I'm a big fan of plenty of 30 minute epoxy to fix most things. Rough but effective.
Swoopdown is online now Find More Posts by Swoopdown
Old Jul 11, 2015, 08:32 PM
Joined Sep 2011
962 Posts
There is nothing left of the bit that has broken off, HK quality ply vaporized after a prop strike broke a prop and the front shook itself to pieces in a second.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 08:24 PM
Find More Posts by Free2air
Joined Dec 2014
19 Posts
This is 1 way I might try without seeing it up close
even up the broken edge a bit make a piece that fits against it nice and is as close to the original shape and size of missing piece as possible remember to make it bigger if cant get original shape right so you can trim to suit later
then make 2 pieces the shape of the remaining piece on the wing and newly made bit together out of thin ply ,for strength have the grains running different ways
then glue ( screw if you want) and clamp them all together to the remaining wing tabs
the slot on the fuse will have to be widened a bit but a some reinforcing behind it will help keep its integrity if needed
this fix will add a bit of weight but if done right should add strength to the tab somewhat so if theres a next time shaking tantrum it should hold
hope this helps but as I said its only one possible way
Free2air is offline Find More Posts by Free2air
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:00 AM
Find More Posts by skyfox
Mandurah, WA, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
172 Posts
Change to rubber band mounted wing? No need to cut the wing that way!
skyfox is offline Find More Posts by skyfox
Old Jul 13, 2015, 04:51 AM
Joined Sep 2011
962 Posts
Thanks Free2air I just had a look at it and I believe there is enough of the old ribs left to glue to the sides so your ides seems sound.

A little extra weight wont bother it or me as it has unlimited vertical and I had to rebuild the front of the fuse as that shook to pieces as well, tore the whole front fire wall out of it.

Skyfox rubber bands may work but I am over them after having a Boomerang, need so many to hold the wings in place while flying hard.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 09:06 PM
Find More Posts by Free2air
Joined Dec 2014
19 Posts
If you have to you could slice into the film a bit to give you more tab to stick to and stick the cut film back after as it's hidden in the fuse once done who'll know.
Free2air is offline Find More Posts by Free2air