SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 28, 2015, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by Spadez
Joined Apr 2015
1 Posts
Discussion
Is there a fibre glass guru in WA

Gday all
Im new to the forum have looked around and havent seen much in the way of discussion relating to fibre glass scratch building for planes.
Its something im very keen to get in to and knowing that there is no substitute for experiance i would really appreciate some one i could bounce 1 or 2 questions off of. The club guys i have spoken too are all very anti and try to steer me away from it . As a stone mason it is a material that i have enjoyed working with but only as a strengthing and finishing agent, never in a moulding context. The idea of being able to perfect and replicate a model appeals to me. Would be prepared to travel and lend a hand in any build just for the opportunity to pick a few things up but really any help getting me on my way would but great
thanks Dave
Spadez is offline Find More Posts by Spadez
Last edited by Spadez; Apr 28, 2015 at 09:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2015, 03:57 PM
Find More Posts by steve wenban
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,631 Posts
Have a dig through these it may help
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post28447863
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old May 17, 2015, 07:40 PM
Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
7,976 Posts
Dave,

The links that Steve posted above should give you sufficient reading for quite some time. Lots of reading is required for learning and mastering this craft as there are numerous alternative methods and variations on a specific method.
Then you will need to decide on what level you want to jump into the world of composite model building.
Possibly lost foam fuselage, or a simple moulded fuse with vac bagged wings? A lot depends upon what type of models you are interested in.
One tip for use of these forums; post all relevant details. For instance you have asked for a contact in Western Australia. It is a very big state and you have not indicated where you are.
Whatever you decide, you will find lots of help on these forums. I've been asking questions and posting build threads for over five years now and attribute most of what I have learned to them. In fact, I see it as an advantage that I did not have one "guru" to use your term. If I did, I would be locked into a specific pattern that might not be conducive to experimentation and innovation.
All the best. And keep us posted!

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
Old May 20, 2015, 06:50 PM
Find More Posts by Trent Smith
Joined Sep 2011
27 Posts
Hello Dave, I have been working with composites for RC planes for a few years now. From basic cowl construction using lost foam to vac bagged composite fuselages and plane components. I really enjoy this aspect of the hobby and plan on expanding my skills and techniques to hopefully do an all composite Warbird in giant scale. At the moment I have giant scale 84.5 inch P-51 Mustang and a 96 inch Spitfire which have foam core wings. It gets a bit addictive as you try out doing your previous quality and size of work. There are plenty of online build threads on the websites which are very helpful. Feel free to ask questions but one thing I will recommend is when building a 'plug' for a Mold you may produce is that a great plug will produce great final parts. Don't skimp on the finish and detail of the plug.
Trent Smith is offline Find More Posts by Trent Smith