SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 16, 2015, 09:16 AM
Find More Posts by dragonblade
Joined Apr 2014
581 Posts
The new Syma X1 arrived today. And once again, the bundled transmitter will not communicate with the quad. I had to pull out my old transmitter again and that appeared to bind okay. Though the motors would not start - there was no response when I raised the throttle stick. I ejected the battery from the X1, turned off the tx and then turned it back on, reinserted the battery again. This time it sprung to life. Though it tilted to the right when taking off, despite calibrating on level ground. This is really strange and something that's been happening to a number of my Syma quadcopters lately - including the X8C. They've got this constant habit of tilting to the right during lift off. Even when calibrating on carpet on the living room floor which looks reasonably level.

This latest X1 also has really strong drift, right out of the box. It drifts to the right and backwards - almost diagonally. Though more to the right. As usual, trimming has no effect. I read somewhere about something you can do to make trimming effective on a Syma quadcopter. I think it's moving both sticks on the tx to the lower left or lower right. Can't remember which. Does that sound right? Is there also another step involved as well?
dragonblade is offline Find More Posts by dragonblade
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:36 AM
Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
7,161 Posts
The Syma X1 is the oldest Quad in Syma's fleet. AFAIK, it only has a 3-Axis gyro; therefore, it is important to initialize it on level ground. Moving both sticks lower left of lower right are typical recalibration techniques for 6-Axis gyro. That might apply to the X8C, but not here with the X1, I don't think.

I'm sorry that you are having so much trouble with your X1. So far, I have bought 4 of them and they were all perfect out of the box. Never remotely had the kind of problem you describe. If I were you, I would stop dealing with the seller you've been dealing with.

I'm also beginning to suspect that there is something wrong with your radio control. Unfortunately, the last two X1 would not bind with their own controller. What's up with that? And you are always using the old controller, which consistently getting strange flight characteristics. The common thread there is the radio. That's why I am thinking that it is the suspect.

If I am in your shoes, I would first spend a bit more time with the new radios. It's hard to believe that they don't won't out of the box, and 2 for 2. Something is amiss. Secondly, on your working old controller, I would make sure that all the trims are centered. Lastly, I would initiate the X1 on UN-level ground, to intentional offset that drift.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:08 PM
Joined Apr 2014
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
So far, I have bought 4 of them and they were all perfect out of the box. Never remotely had the kind of problem you describe. If I were you, I would stop dealing with the seller you've been dealing with.
The last two came from the same seller. Though previously, I bought X1s from a number of different sellers, both from China and also here in Australia.

Quote:
I'm also beginning to suspect that there is something wrong with your radio control. Unfortunately, the last two X1 would not bind with their own controller. What's up with that?
Yea, that is really bizarre. I honestly have no idea what's going on there.

Quote:
And you are always using the old controller, which consistently getting strange flight characteristics.
I didn't really consider the transmitter to be the cause of the weird behaviour. Could well be. I have used the same transmitter with another X1 and that had really severe tilt during lift off. Though I don't recall seeing tilt when I used the same combination of X1 and tx about two or three months previously. And when I first started flying X1s last year, I didn't have these sort of problems. The bundled transmitters worked fine and the quads took off level every time (no tilt.)

Quote:
If I am in your shoes, I would first spend a bit more time with the new radios.
I guess I could but I could not get them to work at all when I tried to use them. The blue light comes on when I push the switch to 'On' and the lcd screen is active. But there is absolutely no communication between the transmitters and the quads. No matter how many times I move the throttle stick up and down, there are no audible beeps or response from the motors.

Quote:
Lastly, I would initiate the X1 on UN-level ground, to intentional offset that drift.
Yea I was thinking doing that. Since the quad tilts to the right and drifts to the right, I'll try calibrating it while it's tilted to the left.

By the way, the last time I calibrated the X8C, I did so on a kitchen counter and that improved things a lot. Though surprisingly, there was still a very slight amount of tilt when taking off. Not enough to worry about but surprising nonetheless.
Last edited by dragonblade; Jul 17, 2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:16 PM
Find More Posts by siriusflier
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
3,617 Posts
You should get yourself an inexpensive level and find a really level surface to initialize your quads on.
siriusflier is offline Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Jul 17, 2015, 03:41 AM
Joined Apr 2014
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
You should get yourself an inexpensive level and find a really level surface to initialize your quads on.
I never had this problem when I first started flying the X1s last year. The surfaces that I launched from back then may not have been perfectly 100% level but I never had the tilting issue during lift off.

By the way, today I had my first outdoor flying session with my latest X1 and man, this thing is crazy. The wind may have been a factor but it is so hard to control. It is extremely erratic and moves all over the place really randomly. Yea, there was some wind which varied in it's strength - sometimes it picked up and sometimes it dropped a bit. I was using high rate but this didn't help much. I did find a concrete platform that had a very slight slope so I used that for calibrating on to counter the lean during lift off. But it didn't help - it was still tilting like the leaning tower of Pisa when taking off. And sometimes it had noticeable tilt when it was in the air and very severe too. A few times it was almost vertical!

There was some other strange behaviour that it exhibited. Many times, it would descend by itself and drop like a rock. And no amount of throttle would save it. One of my previous X1s also displayed that same behaviour but only when switching from forward pitch to reverse pitch very quickly. This one does it at random times. There was at least one time where I was using full throttle (100%) to try and save it but it still dropped to the ground. And then I have to quickly lower the throttle stick to the bottom just before impact to save the props and motors. And other times it responds to throttle commands just fine - going quite high when I increase the throttle.

I didn't really have anything with me to put under one side of the X1 during calibration to counter the lean. Next time, I'll bring a book along and also choose a relatively still day with little or no wind. Hopefully, I'll see an improvement in performance and have an easier to control quadcopter. Though I don't think there's anything I can do about it's habit off dropping out of the sky at random moments.
Last edited by dragonblade; Jul 17, 2015 at 05:31 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 05:30 AM
Joined Apr 2014
581 Posts
Ive just done a test in my bedroom. I calibrated the X1 with one half of it on a DVD case (tilting to the left.) When it takes off, it still tilts to the right but only very slightly. However, there is still a very strong drift to the right. A little later, I calibrated it with two DVD cases on top of each other (one half of the quadcopter on the cases and the other half on the ground. This didn't seem to make any difference - there is still a very strong drift to the right.

On the transmitter, I notice there is a horizontal row of dots on the bottom right corner of the lcd screen. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with trim? There are a lot of dots in this row and hardly any in other sections of the screen.
Last edited by dragonblade; Jul 17, 2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:37 AM
Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
7,161 Posts
My gosh, DB. That's the Aileron trim all the way to the right!

Didn't I say to center all your trims on your radio?

No wonder all your X1 flying with this controller is drifting to the right.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jul 17, 2015, 08:44 PM
Joined Apr 2014
581 Posts
Quote:
My gosh, DB. That's the Aileron trim all the way to the right!

Didn't I say to center all your trims on your radio?

No wonder all your X1 flying with this controller is drifting to the right.
Woops!

The term 'centering the trims' was a bit confusing to me with regards to the Syma X1 transmitters. It's much more clear when referring to the Spektrum transmitter that I use with my Delta Ray rc plane. Cos on the Spektrum tx, the trim buttons can be moved back and forth, up and down and they stay in the new position so it's easy to see if they're centered or off center. However with the X1 tx, the trim buttons always return to the center after moving them. So prior to last night, I had no way of knowing if they were centered or not. I just happened to notice that row of dots on the lcd screen last night. I had never noticed those before!

But even so.....it's still strange that the X1 was dropping out of the sky a lot yesterday. I'd like to take it out for another flight session (at the local oval) but it's a weekend at the moment. In other words, too risky with people around - especially crazy kids who have a strange habit of running after my quads during flight (even running right underneath it.) Think I'll take my X8C to a smaller park that doesn't often have many people.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 03:26 AM
Joined Apr 2014
581 Posts
I gave this latest X1 another try today, centering the trims this time. I started off in my bedroom and to my surprise, it was still drifting off to the right during lift off. Did it again the second time. However, the third time it drifted to the left so maybe that's a good sign. I then took it outside and flew it in the backyard. It was a relatively still day today, unlike yesterday. There was still some tendency to drift to the right. And this X1 is still pretty crazy. I had to really fight to keep it under control. It was like a wild horse that refused to be tamed. Very erratic. It's certainly a different beast to the other X1s that Ive had in the past. It's not really all that stable in the air, unlike other X1s Ive flown. It also wobbled a few times. By comparison, my Syma X8C was a breeze to fly earlier today.

I definitely wouldn't hand this quad over to a complete beginner to try for the first time. If I did, I think there would be a very good chance of a fly away. In fact, I'm not sure if I can recommend the Syma X1 as a suitable beginner's quad anymore. The latest X1s that I have received have been pretty dodgy. Perhaps a different company is doing the manufacturing these days.

Can anyone recommend another cheap quadcopter suitable for beginners? One that's a similar size to the X1, and light weight? Although Ive been flying quads since last year, there are still some basic moves that I have yet to learn and master like banked turns etc. And I would prefer to learn stuff like that on a cheap quad rather than crash my X8C in the learning process. I do have a Cheerson CX-10 which is fine for hovering but very difficult to learn turns on due it's tiny size and hyperactive nature. I notice the Syma X5C seems to be a popular beginners quad but that's a bit on the pricey side.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 04:38 AM
Find More Posts by kashifsmalik
Joined Oct 2009
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonblade View Post
Can anyone recommend another cheap quadcopter suitable for beginners? One that's a similar size to the X1, and light weight?
Try Syma X3. It has the same footprint as X1, similar power source (with different connector), same motor and pinion setup but different prop (3-blade vs 2-blades in X1) and has detachable prop-guards. The transmitter is not compatible because of a difference in 2.4 GHz protocols. Good for beginners.
kashifsmalik is offline Find More Posts by kashifsmalik
Old Jul 22, 2015, 01:49 PM
Find More Posts by stuartambient
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jun 2014
609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13x View Post
I received my x5 motors from banggood today and they are the same as the original X1 motors. So hopefully after work today I'll have my x1 back in the air!
13x - you ever get the motors sorted out? I have a good amount of spare pinions so I should be okay there.

x1 motors are pretty much non - existent and there seems to be some discrepancy, at least on Amazon, regarding the size of the motors for the x5 or x5c. One of two listings say 7x20mm, others says 8x20mm , so did the 5c change or the listings are lousy maybe? Most of the listings don't even list size, just say x5 motors.

Some people complained in the comments that size received for x5 motors is wrong, plus quality control on most of the listings is sketchy at best, with complaints about noise, low or weak thrust, etc.

Not sure what to do.
stuartambient is offline Find More Posts by stuartambient
Old Jul 22, 2015, 03:44 PM
13x
Find More Posts by 13x
13x
United States, ID, Malad City
Joined Dec 2012
120 Posts
I ordered the x5 motors from banggood and they are the same size as my x1 motors. The ccw ones I received didn't have the pinions but the cw motors do. I've got about 6 flights or so on the new motors and no problems.
13x is offline Find More Posts by 13x
Old Jul 22, 2015, 05:05 PM
Find More Posts by stuartambient
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jun 2014
609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13x View Post
I ordered the x5 motors from banggood and they are the same size as my x1 motors. The ccw ones I received didn't have the pinions but the cw motors do. I've got about 6 flights or so on the new motors and no problems.
Ok thanks.

(I put the 3 and 3 motors in cart and even though it says both in stock, order to be split. I mean what is wrong with them.)

Sorry, notice the rant is in parentheses meaning it's only a thought in my head .
stuartambient is offline Find More Posts by stuartambient
Old Jul 22, 2015, 08:39 PM
13x
Find More Posts by 13x
13x
United States, ID, Malad City
Joined Dec 2012
120 Posts
Yea they sent mine in 2 orders as well.
13x is offline Find More Posts by 13x