Old Jun 22, 2010, 04:01 PM
Find More Posts by danrc
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,328 Posts
Build Log
House of Balsa Me-109

Hi all,
Here's a project that I've been working on for quite some time. I didn't initially do a thread on it, but what the heck..

It's a House of Balsa 1/2a Me-109 converted to Electric. I plan to run a Bp-21 motor (tower pro's version). The Pics are pretty grainy since they're taken from my awful camera phone. I'll take some more pics of the model as I near completion. I didn't really go off any design plans, I just thought this looked cool.

The wing is covered in doculam and painted with latex house paint. The exposed wood parts (fuse) is treated with deft sanding sealer lacquer and sanded smooth. Then I applied a latex layer, then a layer of tamiya "German Grey". The camo is German Grey, acryllico light grey, and Acryllico luftwaffe Green mixed with the grey color.

The throat, wing tips, and part of the vertical stab are krylon yellow.

I haven't figured out the spinner yet, but I want to get the motor firmly mounted in place before I decide what to do. If anyone is interested in the final specs let me know. I think this thing should fly well. It's probably on the hefty side with all of that paint, but that doesn't bother me all that much.

Servos are GWS Naro's for the elevator and Ailerons. Torque rods are supplied with the kit, as are wheels, but I opted for a belly lander.

WBPU will be applied after I put on the radiators and graphics.

Enjoy!
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2010, 04:06 PM
Find More Posts by danrc
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,328 Posts
oh, I also have a cutout in the cockpit so that I can install a "pilot" if I want. My plan is for the keychain camera to be mounted on a post. I might use a semi-stiff spring so that when I bank, the camera will lean too!
Old Jun 22, 2010, 04:22 PM
Find More Posts by Deuce
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danrc View Post
oh, I also have a cutout in the cockpit so that I can install a "pilot" if I want. My plan is for the keychain camera to be mounted on a post. I might use a semi-stiff spring so that when I bank, the camera will lean too!
That may be cool! However, note that any yaw will show up in the pilot/camera leaning left/right as well, or if the turn is coordinated, there should be no leaning of the pilot/camera.

What might be amusing, though, is if the spring ends up with a harmonic oscillation at a certain frequency, causing the pilot/camera to "boogie!"

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Jun 22, 2010, 04:54 PM
Find More Posts by danrc
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,328 Posts
It's worth a shot. I plan on doing the same on the Parkzone ME-109 too, that might have a little more boogie room!! =)
Old Jun 22, 2010, 04:55 PM
Find More Posts by danrc
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,328 Posts
There's no rudder on this plane, maybe I could plug in a rudder servo and mount the camera on top of that?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 05:07 PM
Find More Posts by glewis
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
5,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danrc View Post
There's no rudder on this plane, maybe I could plug in a rudder servo and mount the camera on top of that?

Hey, that's a good idea!

Model looks good Dan, now I see the yellow.

Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Jun 22, 2010, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by portablevcb
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,569 Posts
The HOB series are good fliers. I had the FW190 and really liked it. I was running a bit more power, closer to 150W. Mine was around 24oz RTF. Easy to hand launch. Belly landing was touchy keeping the wings perfectly level. One aileron stuck out just a hair and would catch on the grass and get ripped off. Use APC slo props. They bend a bit easier than the E type when landing.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:43 PM
Find More Posts by danrc
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,328 Posts
Thanks Charlie,
That makes me think that I should consider my motor after I get the final paint applied. I have no qualms about upgrading to something a bit juicier.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:33 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,569 Posts
Dan, just depends on how you want it to fly. I wanted a faster plane. Motor similar to EFlite 450.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:29 PM
Find More Posts by 1post
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2010
632 Posts
That's a classic Dan. Not many build these built up HOB kits anymore, although I guess there is a guy also building the HOB FW190 at Wattflyer now.
Reminds me of a scratch build from an MAN free plan that I built a few years back. Still surviving.
1post is offline Find More Posts by 1post
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:46 AM
Find More Posts by danrc
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,328 Posts
I wanted to take a few minutes this morning to snap some good photos, but the torrential downpour and the water rushing in through a leaky door jam really put a crimp in my plans
Anyhow, I did a little more touch up painting last night. One of these photos attempts to show the camo paint job. It's a bit simple, but that's the way I wanted to go on this one. I'll apply the graphics tonight and then slap on some wbpu. I was looking at spinners at the hobby shop yesterday. I can't decide until I bring the plane in with me.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:04 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,569 Posts
Your cammo pattern is nice.

For those who use a spray can or airbrush, the 'splotches' can be easily done with a piece of paper card that has holes punched in it. I make multiple 'punches' to make random looking holes. Size of hole is based on scale. At this size I just used two punches together, kinda like a figure '8' hole.

Then hold the card 1/4-1/2" away from the plane and spray through the hole. rotate the card so the 'splotches' look a little different.

charlie
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:19 AM
Find More Posts by danrc
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,328 Posts
I did the camo pattern as a spur of the moment thing. I had the darker grey area on the fuse all perfectly taped and lined and it just looked odd. I opted for the less scripted wavy lines and then decided to check out a "few spots" to see how the camo would look. I got a little carried away!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:22 AM
Find More Posts by danrc
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,328 Posts
Charlie, what battery did you use on your Fw-190? I'm a bit limited by the hatch size, but I think I could max out at an 11.1v 1500mah or so.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 05:11 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,569 Posts
3s2100