HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2013, 12:53 PM
SPOOOOOOON!
Joined Oct 2006
264 Posts
Excellent! Looks like a good place to fly. The US team needs better looking pilot helpers.

kj
kmj73us is online now Find More Posts by kmj73us
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2013, 06:23 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
883 Posts
+1 kj

Thanks for the vids mvpricop. I notice most if not all are using piston launchers now. I need to look into that.

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
Old Jul 24, 2013, 08:29 AM
USA, MS
Joined Sep 2008
30 Posts
US Team Flyoffs Report:

For S8E/P it was easily the most competitive flyoffs we have had. Numerous people connecting on landing and the good conditions in the first three rounds meant that it was a precision contest for the most part. Myself and Ryan never flew against each other and were putting up 100pt landings within seconds of time in the first three rounds, which meant there were officially ZERO easy rounds in either of the groups in the contest; any slip-ups were punished badly.

Then the flyoff arrived, with Ryan, George, Ellis, Keith, and myself. Ryan and I had some score separation on the rest of the field, but we were complacent going into that round. There was a substantial time gap (1.5hrs) between the 3rd round and the flyoff, and the conditions had changed from pretty great to "holy crap is this really happening?" Ryan and I launched first and flew out one way into some bubbly lift/sink which was not easy but could be worked. I think Ellis went in a similar direction but I did not see him in the air. And then the bottom dropped out. The bubbles died and the sink became genuinely awful. Where I was I could see Ryan way out maintaining altitude so I tried to punch out to him. Bad, bad mistake. I got dragged down so fast that my timers asked if I had a radio malfunction which made me deploy full spoiler. Probably lost 600-700 ft in the span of a minute and a half. I turned around to go for the landing at probably 250ft up and 600 ft out and was unable to make it....that's how bad it was.

I missed the landing entirely at 3:30ish, Ryan managed to barely squeak back for a 60pt landing at 3:45, and Ellis got similar to me.

Notice I didn't mention George or Keith. George launched I think right after Ryan and I, but he went the opposite direction which initially seemed less promising for lift but ended up being the right call because it didn't turn to sink and was a calmer and much easier area to work in. Keith is a great air caller and shrewd pilot and I think he saw what was going on way better than the rest of us and followed George the opposite way. George got close on time and made a 70pt landing, and Keith punished us all by being 5s off and getting the 100.

Total bloodbath in that round, easy to see when you compare the before and after placings:
1. Matthew -> George
2. Ryan -> Keith
3. George -> Ryan
4. Ellis -> Matthew
5. Keith -> Ellis

I did not see very much of the S8D Jr flyoffs, I had to leave. My understanding is that it was quite competitive. The team for them will be a repeat of 2012 with Alyssa coming in first, Brendan second, and Zack rounding out the team in third. All of them have other two other events I believe so we'll see how the overall Jr team shakes out, but my guess is that they will all keep S8 (it's just too much fun )

So that's the scoop for all the interested parties...

-Matthew
Redroar is offline Find More Posts by Redroar
Last edited by Redroar; Jul 24, 2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 08:39 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
883 Posts
Thanks for the report Matthew.

Looks like I will need much more practice before I return [hopefully someday] to S8e. [I sucked even when I was into it. ]

Any pics or vids please up them.

Richard
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:07 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,410 Posts
I posted a few pics in the naram55 folder at pinterest.com/s8e

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Aug 01, 2013, 01:29 PM
SPOOOOOOON!
Joined Oct 2006
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tellurian View Post
Thanks for the report Matthew.

Looks like I will need much more practice before I return [hopefully someday] to S8e. [I sucked even when I was into it. ]

Any pics or vids please up them.

Richard
Check out http://naramlive.com and look at the Sunday page for photos and vids of S8.

And notice I didn't get a mention in the final round report- my day was bad.

kj
kmj73us is online now Find More Posts by kmj73us
Old Aug 02, 2013, 10:24 AM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
883 Posts
Thanks kj. I should have thought of that.

Really loved the Bumper Wac staging photo sequences too! At first I thought they were CATOs.

Richard
Old Sep 01, 2013, 07:52 AM
Bucharest
Joined Jul 2010
19 Posts
European Championships 2013 took place in Kaspichan, Bulgaria.

Watch some movies with S7 and S8:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...jA9N1VMVXbME3G
mvpricop is offline Find More Posts by mvpricop
Old Sep 02, 2013, 07:51 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
883 Posts
Thanks mvpricop

Those guys would fly even in a tornado.

Richard
Old Sep 26, 2013, 06:13 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,440 Posts
Here are some great pictures taken by Gary Goncher of my flights this last weekend in Sheridan Oregon, enjoy.

Frank
burkefj is online now Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: F-101B Voodoo with video