HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:43 PM
Beaumont ,peoples republic of Kalifornia
Joined Jan 2004
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
And as a side benefit he no longer worries about glaucoma, and gets to visit Colorado quite often.
Im not sure which of us should be worried, as that was the first thought that popped into my head....
debogus is online now Find More Posts by debogus
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:12 AM
Joined Dec 2003
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiozz View Post
yep...we all gonna reach the same destination ,some will take the scenic route though...
LOL good one
robert harik is offline Find More Posts by robert harik
Old Mar 24, 2014, 05:15 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,383 Posts
Quote:
Food isn't finite.

Wealth isn't finite either, people will never stop figuring out ways of making more money.
Let me know when droughts/floods/snows/wars/and so forth don't affect the amount of food produced then!

Ask many of those that are starving due to that thing called a 'famine' (sorry to be considering things outside of the average Americans ability to consider, it seems.. ).

And money is nothing (it's simply a symbol representing an imaginary property of the human mind) - the government prints more of it all the time!

(For a hint: read the HHGTTG regarding leaves as a currency.. ).
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Mar 24, 2014, 05:46 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
Let me know when droughts/floods/snows/wars/and so forth don't affect the amount of food produced then!

Ask many of those that are starving due to that thing called a 'famine' (sorry to be considering things outside of the average Americans ability to consider, it seems.. ).

And money is nothing (it's simply a symbol representing an imaginary property of the human mind) - the government prints more of it all the time!

(For a hint: read the HHGTTG regarding leaves as a currency.. ).
The man does make a good point food wise .Natural food is in abundance all around us ,its just a matter of educating oneself as to whats edible ....how many bears or deer or squirells you see running down to the Piggly Wiggly everytime they get hungry?
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Old Mar 24, 2014, 06:09 AM
Joined Dec 2013
279 Posts
Quote:
The man does make a good point food wise .Natural food is in abundance all around us ,its just a matter of educating oneself as to whats edible ....how many bears or deer or squirells you see running down to the Piggly Wiggly everytime they get hungry?
Isn't one of the reasons deer herds are culled by hunting to reduce the number of deaths by starvation?
Sonny McGhee is offline Find More Posts by Sonny McGhee
Old Mar 24, 2014, 06:13 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny McGhee View Post
Isn't one of the reasons deer herds are culled by hunting to reduce the number of deaths by starvation?
never heard that given as the reason,I've always heard they are like rabbits when it comes to multiplying...
Old Mar 24, 2014, 07:50 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,383 Posts
Quote:
But still 'finite' daddiozz!

Many species have died due to their particular food source disappearing.

And it's perfectly possible that the same could happen to the human race.

As I mentioned, some areas of human habitation regularly suffer from such deficiencies - it just happens that we are a) lucky geographically b) protect ourselves, even if it means to the detriment of a local population.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 07:53 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Doomed you say

'There shall be no paid ministry'

Oh dear
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Mar 24, 2014, 08:15 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Quote:

Food is plentifull all over the world, you just have to be willing to move where it's located. It's peoples' own fault they live in famine prone areas and don't relocate to someplace better. With today's technology it's possible to grow food almost anywhere, just not cost effective in some places.

Quote:
And money is nothing (it's simply a symbol representing an imaginary property of the human mind)

Money had to be invented because the barter system sometimes doesn't work, or is a PITA to deal with.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Mar 24, 2014, 08:29 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,053 Posts
Quote:
But still 'finite' daddiozz!

Many species have died due to their particular food source disappearing.

And it's perfectly possible that the same could happen to the human race.

As I mentioned, some areas of human habitation regularly suffer from such deficiencies - it just happens that we are a) lucky geographically b) protect ourselves, even if it means to the detriment of a local population.
We're going to have to agree to disagree on that point .Virtually every source of food that we -humans can survive on is renewable .From every fish in the seas to every bird that flys above to every creature that slithers ,crawls,walks or runs upon the ground is available to us ...yes including insects ....and I haven't begun to touch on vegetation.Theres no need or reason for anyone to starve ,except perhaps ignorance or intervention or lack of motivation to at least try other sources.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 08:29 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,383 Posts
Quote:
Food is plentifull all over the world, you just have to be willing to move where it's located. It's peoples' own fault they live in famine prone areas and don't relocate to someplace better. With today's technology it's possible to grow food almost anywhere, just not cost effective in some places.
Typical American attitude, Usta! "It's people's own fault..."
(Have you any idea of what happens outside of the USA? ).

And here's a typical article about food shortages...

http://www.theguardian.com/global-de...crisis-warning

Quote:
Money had to be invented because the barter system sometimes doesn't work, or is a PITA to deal with.
Of course! It was invented to meet a requirement (portability and convenience) - but now has attained a life of it's own!

(Let me know when you are on a successful dollar-bill diet, and how it's working for you.. ).
Old Mar 24, 2014, 08:36 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,383 Posts
Quote:
We're going to have to agree to disagree on that point .Virtually every source of food that we -humans can survive on is renewable .From every fish in the seas to every bird that flys above to every creature that slithers ,crawls,walks or runs upon the ground is available to us ...yes including insects ....and I haven't begun to touch on vegetation.Theres no need or reason for anyone to starve ,except perhaps ignorance or intervention or lack of motivation to at least try other sources.
I have no problems with us recognising that we have different opinions, daddiozz!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 08:41 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Typical American attitude, Usta! "It's people's own fault..."
(Have you any idea of what happens outside of the USA? ).

And here's a typical article about food shortages...

http://www.theguardian.com/global-de...crisis-warning
I don't need to read an article telling me people live in the wrong places. If they want to stay in one place and starve then that's their own fault. Seems to me there were many explorers throughout history looking for better places to live, and nomadic tribes move to where the food is too.

My grandparents emigrated to the USA because it was a better place to live, they didn't stay put and whine about living conditions.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Mar 24, 2014, 08:44 AM
Joined Dec 2013
279 Posts
Food is sort of scarce in the cities. I'm moving to the country where I can start anew on some farmland and forests. I'm sure the owners will understand.
Sonny McGhee is offline Find More Posts by Sonny McGhee
Old Mar 25, 2014, 01:47 AM
Beaumont ,peoples republic of Kalifornia
Joined Jan 2004
232 Posts
Quote:
Especially for people that dont have anything to barter...
debogus is online now Find More Posts by debogus