HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:14 PM
WZ9V (formerly KK4RLD)
Joined Jan 2007
510 Posts
Is there enough clearance for the 6 inch props?

I was thinking the 5 inch would be pushing it as far getting too close to the fuselage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EArHog View Post
Thanks Mak. Ain't nothin' like hearing the Voice of Experience. I will leave it as I got it, until there's an actual reason to change it.

As I expected, those HQ 6030 props are the bomb. DR has nice easy speed on 2S (a couple clicks faster than the Pro180's). On a 3S pack the DR is zippy but not crazy fast. She's airborne and movin' out after about two feet of roll.

The DR has a camera mount up front. I need to take the Mobius for a ride.
dfruehwald is online now Find More Posts by dfruehwald
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:59 PM
Team WarpSquad
Joined Feb 2013
3,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfruehwald View Post
Is there enough clearance for the 6 inch props?

I was thinking the 5 inch would be pushing it as far getting too close to the fuselage.
I'll take a pic when I get home after work.

The prop that I haven't tried yet is the GF 3-blade 5030. But I don't think there's a magic prop that will turn these little motors into a 2S beast.

Late EDIT - nope, the 5030's don't really work. Barely flies w/ 2S. Because I put the 5030's on before I left the house, I ran off and left the 6030's at home. So I was forced to try my quad props - 6045's - on the DR. They worked just fine. Motors were warm. But I have officially ended my search - I will stick with the 6030's.

And it looks like I will have to put the 2S packs back in storage. The 3S batts in the Delta Ray are just too much fun.

I promised a pic of the 6-inch props.
EArHog is online now Find More Posts by EArHog
Last edited by EArHog; Jul 22, 2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:00 PM
Panama
Joined Feb 2014
80 Posts
If someone else is waiting for the flight controller, they are back in stock in HH.
eihoward is offline Find More Posts by eihoward
Old Yesterday, 06:08 AM
Joined Apr 2014
143 Posts
Just to confirm, the lipo battery for the Delta Ray is charged via a cigarette lighter in a car? If so, I'm planning to buy this adapter locally so that I can charge from mains / ac power.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3575
dragonblade is offline Find More Posts by dragonblade
Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM
U Bend em - we mend em
Australia, NSW, Henty
Joined Jun 2011
83 Posts
DX7s Programming

Hi guys

Just got my Delta Ray and have a question:

My TX is a Spektrum DX7s.

Q1. Having created a new model memory for the Delta, do I have to set the wing type to “2 Aileron/Normal tail” or “Elevons/ Normal tail”? (the manual doesn't say anything about this)

Q2. The manual says map the "Trainer to AUX1” why is this? Doesn't the Trainer switch normally operate this way?

Q3. In the same paragraph the manual says map FM to INH – why? why inhibit if the FM switch is going to be the 3-position switch to control “Beginner/Intermediate/Expert” modes?

Would appreciate your help

Thanks in advance
Geoff
Proper Job is offline Find More Posts by Proper Job
Last edited by Proper Job; Yesterday at 08:02 AM. Reason: accuracy
Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM
Team WarpSquad
Joined Feb 2013
3,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonblade View Post
Just to confirm, the lipo battery for the Delta Ray is charged via a cigarette lighter in a car? If so, I'm planning to buy this adapter locally so that I can charge from mains / ac power.

why not get a real charger?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...e_Charger.html

I don't know that this one qualifies as a "real charger". But it's cheap!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...e_Charger.html
Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM
WZ9V (formerly KK4RLD)
Joined Jan 2007
510 Posts
Thanks. It's close but it looks like they will work, OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EArHog View Post
I'll take a pic when I get home after work.

The prop that I haven't tried yet is the GF 3-blade 5030. But I don't think there's a magic prop that will turn these little motors into a 2S beast.

Late EDIT - nope, the 5030's don't really work. Barely flies w/ 2S. Because I put the 5030's on before I left the house, I ran off and left the 6030's at home. So I was forced to try my quad props - 6045's - on the DR. They worked just fine. Motors were warm. But I have officially ended my search - I will stick with the 6030's.

And it looks like I will have to put the 2S packs back in storage. The 3S batts in the Delta Ray are just too much fun.

I promised a pic of the 6-inch props.
dfruehwald is online now Find More Posts by dfruehwald
Old Today, 02:38 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proper Job View Post
Hi guys

Just got my Delta Ray and have a question:

My TX is a Spektrum DX7s.

Q1. Having created a new model memory for the Delta, do I have to set the wing type to “2 Aileron/Normal tail” or “Elevons/ Normal tail”? (the manual doesn't say anything about this)

Q2. The manual says map the "Trainer to AUX1” why is this? Doesn't the Trainer switch normally operate this way?

Q3. In the same paragraph the manual says map FM to INH – why? why inhibit if the FM switch is going to be the 3-position switch to control “Beginner/Intermediate/Expert” modes?

Would appreciate your help

Thanks in advance
Geoff
Hi Geoff,

I don't have a DX7 but I do have the new DX6 and have just been round this same loop and it had me scratching my head for a couple of days.

Q1: You need to set the type to Normal wing/Normal tail. I know it doesn't sound right but the SAFE board must do all the delta wing mixing so no need for the radio to.

Q2. AUX1 will give you the "Panic" function so it suggests the trainer switch as I am guessing (I don't have a DX7) that it is the only "hold on" type switch on the radio. Basically whichever switch you map to AUX1 will operate panic mode.

Q3. And here is the one that really got me.... The FM mode on the radio has nothing to do with the DeltaRay flight modes, all it does is allow for the radio to have 3 sets of pre-mapped settings, one for each position. The DeltaRay flight Mode is actually controlled by the "GEAR" channel so what you need to do is turn off FMs and map your 3 position FM switch to the GEAR channel. I found that using the standard servo travel limits on the GEAR channel only gave me 2 flight modes as the difference between the position wasn't big enough so I set the travel range on it to 75/125 and that gave 3 distinct values that the DR picked up.

The above worked a treat for me and I see no reason why a DX7 should not be exactly the same.

Cheers
Pete
petebanham is offline Find More Posts by petebanham
Last edited by petebanham; Today at 03:09 AM.
Old Today, 04:46 AM
U Bend em - we mend em
Australia, NSW, Henty
Joined Jun 2011
83 Posts
Re DX7s

Thanks Pete

Yeah, I think I get it now - from your pointer plus re-reading the manual again.

On the DX7s the 3 position switch is the Flap switch, so I can understand what the manual is saying for the DX7s (its strange, its very different for all TX's).

Also thanks for tips about Wing Type and AUX1 I will check that I have not programmed Elevons in.

Looking forward to my maiden

Geoff
Proper Job is offline Find More Posts by Proper Job
Old Today, 08:03 AM
rcnova
United States, IL, West Chicago
Joined Jul 2009
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonblade View Post

Also can look on amazon for less costly options

http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-PC-...c+power+supply
Nova - K is offline Find More Posts by Nova - K
Old Today, 09:55 AM
Team WarpSquad
Joined Feb 2013
3,276 Posts
I have been able to fly a couple of batteries in the brushless mod. Delta Ray each evening after work this week. Let me say that I have newfound respect for the HobbyZone flight control board. Now, without that tech on board, the DR bounces around like crazy. It didn't used to do that. Last night I put a Mobius on the plane. The resultant video was essentially unwatchable. A more skilled pilot could do better, no doubt. But that's the point of the Delta Ray, ain't it - for less skilled pilots like me to fly better.

If it works using the DR's FC along with those BL converter/ESC things, that would be the ideal solution. Good luck with that project dfruehwald.