HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2013, 11:44 AM
Joined Feb 2005
543 Posts
Question
A Good Field Sloper?

Hello,

I live in an area that doesnt have many hills or cliffs, but mainly fields. It can get windy at times here though.

Im looking for a very lite sloper that is light enough to fly in 5-10 mph winds but can also fly in 20-40 plus mph winds.

I like the Alula and the Weasel, but they are never available...always out of stock it seems, and I dont want to wait months before they become available again. So does anyone else know of any other types that can be purchased?

Thanks!!!
Bookstar75 is offline Find More Posts by Bookstar75
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2013, 11:57 AM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,076 Posts
A wide open field isn't really the best place for slope flying. If you can find some place with some hills or a reservoir and the wind is blowing straight into them, that might be slopable for an alula, or weasle, check out Alofthobbies.com. Maybe a DLG might be good for you. If you reveal your location, maybe some other local fliers will chime in.
Tom
TRISME is offline Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Jun 09, 2013, 12:59 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,039 Posts
Sounds like what you really need is a KITE! You cannot slope without a slope (And planes that fly well in 5-10mph are not going to fly in 20-40mph). If you have some hills that face the wind then you have a chance but they need to be reasonably steep and preferably straight or cupped in shape. Round hills typically don't work well as the lift just spills around them. The Alula is good choice, also look at some of the ultabatic kits. Those are usually nice and light.
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Jun 09, 2013, 05:53 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,287 Posts
Yeah, and the winds certainly aren't going to help you out on a flat field. For low wind I suggest that what you'd need is either a) a hand launch plane (an Alula would do for that), or b) a small sloper-like plane you can use to catapult-launch (for short, but exciting flights).

I'm not sure that there's any kind of plane, glider or powered, that would be fun to fly over a flat field in 40mph winds.
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Jun 09, 2013, 06:07 PM
Just Toss It !!!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
5,777 Posts
Keep in mind it's called "slope soaring" not "wind soaring".
Wind usually travels horizontally.
You need some sort of a bump in the landscape to make the wind travel upwards and keep your glider up.
MATIN is offline Find More Posts by MATIN
Old Jun 09, 2013, 08:01 PM
Joined Feb 2005
543 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Right now both the Alula and Weasel is out of stock. Anyone know where else one can be purchased? Or something similar to the alula or weasel?

Thanks again
Bookstar75 is offline Find More Posts by Bookstar75
Old Jun 09, 2013, 08:21 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,057 Posts
you can try http://www.offtheedge.com.au/page.php?id=1 for a Wasp or the guys at slope fly https://www.facebook.com/snowflygliders or Matin atNCFM and get a moth but before any of these you need a bump in the ground to generate lift . Failing all that buy your self a DLG and go hunt thermals
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Last edited by steve wenban; Jun 09, 2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2013, 08:22 PM
Bernoulli was only guessing.
United States, CA, Scotts Valley
Joined Dec 2007
197 Posts
A real bargain, grab it before I do ...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1908590
Tspin is offline Find More Posts by Tspin
Old Jun 09, 2013, 08:25 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,287 Posts
I really wouldn't bother with a weasel unless you find a slope. Have you considered something like a Radian electric sailplane?
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee